Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Mr.Jigen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 pm

May I ask is criticism of S3 development or Yu Suzuki a bannable offense? I don't have many criticisms myself but, I don't think other people shouldn't be allowed to have any. I know that the media has had its problems with Shenmue but, how would some small fry on a random forum pique the interest of the holy nobles in their ivory towers? (I don't like em' either.)

Obviously I understand why this particular person was banned especially if he was abusing users. Please don't ban me I just have questions.

Mr.Jigen has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Criticism is not a bannable offence. You won't be punished for expressing concern or fairly critiquing the project.

However, accounts that are solely dedicated to criticising every element of the campaign or criticism that is riddled with misinformation and a lack of context may receive a warning.

This may be a Shenmue forum, but we don't expect posters to be blindly positive all the time. However in return we also ask that people aren't blindly negative. If there's something you think deserves criticism, by all means go for it. Just be sure to be fair and consider all sides and there won't be an issue.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 am

In the case of Himuro (yes Himuro, not Haruto/Bluecast/Ryudo) it wasn't specifically that they threatened to go to the media because the updates weren't to her liking (she later chilled out on this), but (if I'm remembering correctly) there was a big song and dance about leaving the forum... only for her to resume posting as normal almost immediately.

So she was banned. There was also a history of erratic posting previously too, and in the wake of the ban using alt accounts to PM members/mods.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr.Jigen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Spaghetti wrote: In the case of Himuro (yes Himuro, not Haruto/Bluecast/Ryudo) it wasn't specifically that they threatened to go to the media because the updates weren't to her liking (she later chilled out on this), but (if I'm remembering correctly) there was a big song and dance about leaving the forum... only for her to resume posting as normal almost immediately.

So she was banned. There was also a history of erratic posting previously too, and in the wake of the ban using alt accounts to PM members/mods.

This place certainly has a history XD.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Peter wrote: if you need to ask why Himuro was banned then i really have to ask you why you are questioning that. I will go on my gut feeling you dont know the whole story.... but Himuro maintained a posting attitude that went well beyond the limits of what i would describe as a level headed mentality within a fan based community forum. From questioning every single aspect of a game in development, threatening other members with abusive content, to even rallying the questionable gaming journalists that may or may not read these boards (which i know for a fact a lot do) to provoke action against YSNET... for a game that was in early development!!!! Think about that for a second. Questioning Yu Suzuki.......YU SUZUKI and rallying the media against him during the first full year of development. Really???

The thing about Himuro is that no matter how absurd his complaints were, his views were shared among others who were also discontent with how YSNET was handling the project. Most of these if not all stemmed out of a misunderstanding of how a Kickstarter project works, so IMO it was a perfect chance to lay all the questioning and complaints onto a bunch of discussion topics and clear for once and all whatever misinformation they've been hearing, rather than have them all rallying against the project based on blind unwarranted criticism outside the forum. There were certainly lengthy arguments even between me and the guy, but in the end he conceded that he was in the wrong, specially on threatening Yu's team, and all that ruckus went away with the entire forum coming to a consensus for the better. And so I thought members like Himuro were good in that sense. Now I'm not aware of his history of repeating patterns of erratic behavior over the years if that's what is happening, so I won't be questioning his ban from now on.

To be clear I'm not against the forum leaning towards more strict posting rules at all, and I welcome all sorts of changes going on but I needed to understand the guidelines for banning as to the average member these seemed to come out of nowhere at times. Anyway thank you for the clarification and the good work!
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 am

It's not strict mate. Strict is gettin banned for having a different opinion. Strict is not bein able to register coz you don't know an obscure NPC's name from a video game that was never translated into English. Strict is getting detention for saying "clocks display 00:00 not 24:00".

That last one has nothing to do with the Dojo but it still irks me to this day. Worst thing is the teacher's surname was Newton.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Jibby
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Jibby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 am

It wasn't just about what she was posting, it was about the amount of times she'd promise to cool her jets before inevitably tipping over the edge again. She was given plenty chances but it would always circle back round and her notations of changing her ways were never genuine. And it's not just the moderator's here at the time who thought this. She was also banned from NeoGAF and ResetEra for the same shit.

This place isn't transitioning into stricter posting rules. About 95% of the accounts banned recently have been for ban evasion (from individuals who literally want to see the Dojo taken down) or spam/botting. I can't even think of one average member who we've had to take action against.

As for guidelines, when Peter took over, he made it very clear to us that if we ever ban someone then their post will be edited with a note from the Moderator as to why. So if you want to know the reason someone was banned, all you need to do is look and see. No bans should be coming out of nowhere.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:50 pm

About the strict part it was a poor choice of words, as I just meant I'm definitely okay with whatever direction the site is taking.

And sorry Jibby, but I don't see it. For members I see banned the general explanation given was usually for dodging previous ban, but what actually said member has done to warrant the ban initially? So that is why I was asking stuff like if once banned is it a forever ban or what infractions do get someone banned. Maybe it is just me. Thanks for the explanation.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:23 pm

If somebody gets permanently banned from the Dojo, then yes we will be banning any alternate accounts they choose to create. Otherwise the ban is a bit pointless.

It is rare for somebody to be permanently banned though, pretty much every user you've seen banned recently for "ban evasion" is the same one person.

For full transparency sake, the user is Sutoji/Shenmue_Legend (you might remember them from a year or so back) and they were permanently banned for using alternative accounts on the boards to deliberately start arguments and cause chaos. They've also badmouthed the moderators here including myself on other websites and attempted to have the Dojo raided by 4chan (lol). However, they are persistent in sneaking back on, usually making a new account as soon as their last one is discovered. Yet we always catch them out. That's why you might have seen so many accounts being banned lately. It is not practical to write the original reason they were banned for every account they make, so we list the reason as "ban evasion". I promise you though that they're all the same person. In reality, permanent bans don't happen very often at all.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 pm

That user was also sock puppeting their alt accounts to start arguments with themselves.

Being a nutcase isn't directly against the rules, but disrupting the forum by being one will probably result in a ban.

There was also the suspicion they were the person harassing celebrities on Twitter to give Ys Net money, and actively getting involved with a scam artist to give them a $50 million "loan".
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 am

Spaghetti wrote: That user was also sock puppeting their alt accounts to start arguments with themselves.

Being a nutcase isn't directly against the rules, but disrupting the forum by being one will probably result in a ban.

There was also the suspicion they were the person harassing celebrities on Twitter to give Ys Net money, and actively getting involved with a scam artist to give them a $50 million "loan".

lol I forgot about that. The dojo sure can be an eventful place :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby redline » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:00 am

just read online they are doing a movie based on the life of salvador dali. its going to have ben kingsley playing the old dali. - looking forward to it.

ben kingsley is a good actor, so i assume the movie will be pretty good. not judging the guy, i like his art work but i heard in a documentary that dali was a bit of a perv.. wonder how they will handle it in the movie :roll: . after all, movies have the ability to become the collective truth and to some extent rewrite history.

according to brian sewell, dali liked to watch men pleasure themselves :|
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:53 am

^Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of seeing this one in Madrid:

Hitler Masturbating (1973), watercolor
Salvador Dali
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby redline » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote: ^Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of seeing this one in Madrid:

Hitler Masturbating (1973), watercolor
Salvador Dali

lol, ive not seen that before.

there is always something disturbing when you hear things about the "greats", be it actors,artists, historical figures. apart of me wants them all to be A sexual. :lol:

nsw :roll:
phpBB [video]

redline has received a thanks from: Vyse Hazuky
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bambi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Was going through an old HDD today and I found a backup of these forums from early 2004 when loads of drama was kicking off. :lol: Reading through it makes me laugh now but it all seemed so important at the time.

Bambi has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic