Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:50 am

I remember tuning into the Simpsons for the stories, not the jokes (though I found them funnier as I got older). The older seasons had alot of great tales that I could rewatch over and over again. The quality declined somewhere around in the late '90s and early '00s so I tuned out eventually.

It's been a couple of years since i've seen the newer stuff, but I last I saw I thought it turned into a shell of its former self. Trying SO HARD to be funny and always falling flat on its face. The movie is a great example of that. It could've had a great story sprinkled with jokes here and there, but the whole thing was just a big unfunny mess. I remember no one laughing in the theater, like at all. I reminded me alot like Family Guy which is what I think they were trying to copy.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 am

Really? I thought most people liked the movie...
Never really looked much up on it, that's just kind of the word-of-mouth impression I got about it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 am

I know some liked it anyway, cause it is the Simpsons and it was virtually the only traditional animated movie to grace the big screen in quite awhile.

But this is the Simpsons I remember fondly and miss:

Kenny has received 4 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, OL, Thief
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 am

If it was better in the old seasons I think it's because many of the characters and personalities and locations were still pretty fresh and still being added. At this point we know pretty much how every character thinks and acts in pretty much any situation imaginable. After 25 years, that makes it a bit difficult to come up with something new and exciting within the confines of already established characters.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am

Sonikku wrote: After 25 years, that makes it a bit difficult to come up with something new and exciting within the confines of already established characters.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Now let's see how Batman handles it when he has to go back to his old job at the nuclear plant to pay for his family and gets antagonized by Mr. Burns.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Thief wrote: Simpsons is still great !!!
-- I'd say that most people who say "Simpsons is dead" either don't watch the show or are genuine lameoids. :icecream:

It's not even that it's so terribly written or anything though. It's that it is, for lack of a better term, just so played out now. It's been going for how many years? There's only so much they can do with a show and the characters before it all becomes a bit old, repetitive, predictable and just boring. It's just an institution now, a safe, money making machine. The Simpsons needs to move aside and let a new generation defining animation come through and shine.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:53 pm

^^That wouldn't be a problem, if something new and generation-defining would actually show up. Wouldn't matter if Simpsons was there or not.
I mean, what do they have on that channel now, on that night? There's Simpsons, Family Guy, and, what... Bob's Burgers?
I agree that Simpsons is a bit old and predictable now, but to argue that it's actually getting in the way of letting anything else shine... yeah, not really sure about that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm

OL wrote: Now let's see how Batman handles it when he has to go back to his old job at the nuclear plant to pay for his family and gets antagonized by Mr. Burns.

I think back to the Lego set.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby beedle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:39 pm

new simpsons is terrible, sorry. Kenny is right, it tries to be like Family Guy. And Family Guy is god awful, so QED.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:34 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Sonikku wrote: After 25 years, that makes it a bit difficult to come up with something new and exciting within the confines of already established characters.

Agreed. The last Batman character on the silver screen was the biggest snorefest in the whole world Nolan created. Perhaps as dull as Homer himself these days. Hopefully Affleck will do better in infusing something actually interesting into the character after all these years, but I won't hold my breath.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm

TBF, Nolan wanted to end with TDK but you know...Warner Bros. plowed through and dumped tons of cash in his front yard to do another one.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I actually have new found respect for DKR in recent times. And I assume you weren't talking about Bane..?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Rakim » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 pm

phpBB [video]

This is so bizarre. I think he's doing more drugs now that he was in the '60's.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm

beedle wrote: new simpsons is terrible, sorry. Kenny is right, it tries to be like Family Guy. And Family Guy is god awful, so QED.

Is there like, anything, you have ever liked or said anything positive about? :???: :!:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic