New Members Introduce Yourself!

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: New Members Introduce Yourself!

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 pm

I recognise that avatar off that music album with the amazing track from Raito.

This one:

phpBB [video]

Great tune (love the 90s piano-synth influence in it). Anyway, welcome to the Dojo.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby NeoGC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Hello everyone! Shenmue newcomer here,

I'm NeoGC. I picked up Shenmue on my DCabout a year or so back and didn't really care for it, to be completely honest. Having zero nostalgia for the series, I saw it as dated, badly acted, and poorly paced.

And then, the Shenmue III Kickstarter was announced, and something possessed me to go back and actually play past the first 3rd of Disc 1.

And you know what?

I fell in love.

The world of Shenmue and the scale of the game for being made in 1999 sucked me in, and even the characters with some pretty bad dubbing became endearing to me in a weird way. I enjoyed buying capsule toys, playing Hang-On or the QTE game at the Arcade, practing my Kung fu (Nearing the 70 man brawl in my playthrough!) and enjoying the game. I've sunk quite a considerable amount of hours in, and with somebody with no exposure to Shenmue around the time it was released, I'm having tons of fun.

Oh, and the soundtrack is really great, though the orchestra selections in particular just blow me away.

Glad to have an account now on the biggest Shenmue fansite on the planet, and I have Shenmue II and an Xbox, ready to be played as soon as I finish Game 1!
NeoGC
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue, Nier, DoD 3

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Like the avatar. Welcome. You couldn't have come at a better time.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby punkmanced » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:17 pm

NeoGC wrote: Hello everyone! Shenmue newcomer here,

I'm NeoGC. I picked up Shenmue on my DCabout a year or so back and didn't really care for it, to be completely honest. Having zero nostalgia for the series, I saw it as dated, badly acted, and poorly paced.

And then, the Shenmue III Kickstarter was announced, and something possessed me to go back and actually play past the first 3rd of Disc 1.

And you know what?

I fell in love.

The world of Shenmue and the scale of the game for being made in 1999 sucked me in, and even the characters with some pretty bad dubbing became endearing to me in a weird way. I enjoyed buying capsule toys, playing Hang-On or the QTE game at the Arcade, practing my Kung fu (Nearing the 70 man brawl in my playthrough!) and enjoying the game. I've sunk quite a considerable amount of hours in, and with somebody with no exposure to Shenmue around the time it was released, I'm having tons of fun.

Oh, and the soundtrack is really great, though the orchestra selections in particular just blow me away.

Glad to have an account now on the biggest Shenmue fansite on the planet, and I have Shenmue II and an Xbox, ready to be played as soon as I finish Game 1!

Welcome!
If you want to have a really cool experience, try to hunt down the European (PAL) version of Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast, that way you can play the game in Japanese. You're in for a treat.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Clockwork » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:55 am

Yama wrote:
Clockwork wrote: Hey guys I've been a lurker on here for many a years. But figured that I'd join and say hi.

You're not Clockwork that MvC2 player, are you? :lol:

Unfortunately I'm not. I don't play many games.
Clockwork
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby yugo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:06 am

Hello, I love this website a lot and I have used it for some time for my needs (updates). So I decided to join so i can be apart of this community. I am a well talented musician that plays multiple instruments (feel free to ask which ones i play), but my favorite one is the piano. I'm also a big foreign gamer (Shenmue, Yakuza series and anime nerd (Naruto, Dragonball) by heart.

I do remember when I first learned about Shenmue though. I must have been no more than 9-years-old at the time, and I'd been bought a copy of some magazine. It had one of those customary end-of-year features spotlighting all of the exciting upcoming games, and in it was a small section on Yu Suzuki's magnum opus. There couldn't have been more than a paragraph of text on the title, but there was a screenshot of protagonist Ryo Hazuki looking up at an overhead plane. Call it instinct, but I knew right there and then that I had to play this game, and so I started the arduous task of trying to convince my parents that I had to trade every Nintendo 64 game that I owned for the recently released Dreamcast. I was lucky enough to acquire SEGA's shiny new system alongside a copy of Sonic Adventure just prior to the end of the year. Too bad the Dreamcast didin't last long.
yugo
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: yugoma3

Postby Pltnm06Ghost » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:28 am

Hiya. Just your ordinary Shenmue fanatic and artist here. I've stalked this forum in silence every now and then, but never joined since being in a niche Shenmue community would make me feel depressed at the possibility a 3rd game would never been happening. After the Kickstarter was a huge success, as well as pledging for the printed artbook myself, I can feel content showing off my love for Shenmue without feeling depressed from the nostalgia. So I decided to join the forums some hours ago and here I am : D

To sum myself up, I draw stuff and host my scribbles in the globe-link-thingy below my avatar. I'm a massive fighting game fanatic and a sucker for obscure titles. My list of top three favorite games of all time are Shenmue 1+2, NieR Gestalt, and Asura's Wrath in that order. I also have a terminal obsession over Suda51 games. My favorites being No More Heroes, its sequel, Shadows of the Damned, Killer Is Dead, and Killer7.

I've only been here for a few minutes and just noticed a few users with NieR and Killer7 avatars/signatures. Sounds like I'll feel right at home :mrgreen:
Pltnm06Ghost

PSN: Pltnm06Ghost
Nintendo FC: Same as above.
Steam: This too.
Currently playing: Chrono Phantasma Extend

Postby Demonoroth » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 am

Well after about 13 years of lurking and sneaking about this place, time to finally write something.

I'm really bad at these kinds of things and I'm massively hung over from my Shenmue 3 celebration party so I'll keep it very short.

I'm Demonoroth, wherever you see that name pop up on the net it's always gonna be me. I absolutely love Shenmue (especially it's soundtrack). Other games I like are MGS and Yakuza series, good RPGS and the weird stuff like Team Ico stuff, Killer 7 and a good hack'n'slash like Bayonetta from time to time. Well you get the idea :D

For the rest...I just love music. Metal and rock really...but just love good music in general as an example listening to the Daytona USA OST right now :-D

Anyways, please to meet you all *takes a bow*...now let me go find something against this massive headache
Demonoroth

PSN: Demonoroth
Steam: Demonoroth
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am

I have been reading along for quite some years now
With all the efforts in the past decade for SM3, and now we are here..
Happy to have joined, and although Panzer Dragoon Saga is the game i am most passionate about, as an oldscool gamer (40Y) and gamer from my 10th (MSX and NES) Shenmue has touched me and it didnt let go.
I played it in 1999 first week when.it came out.
For me the best gaming period has always been the DC.
Why? I guess it was the period in my life that made it that way..
I was a big SEGA nerd i guess...

Happy to be in the Dojo and to be part of Shenmue3 and see all our names in the credits.. mine will!

Shenmue spirit is here

will of the ancients
-ec sonu ereru sancitu-
simsatit

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Welcome the Dojo, people! What a time to be a Shenmue fan! And I hope for the same results for Panzer Dragoon one day...

Pltnm06Ghost wrote:My list of top three favorite games of all time are Shenmue 1+2, NieR Gestalt, and Asura's Wrath in that order. I also have a terminal obsession over Suda51 games. My favorites being No More Heroes, its sequel, Shadows of the Damned, Killer Is Dead, and Killer7.

I've only been here for a few minutes and just noticed a few users with NieR and Killer7 avatars/signatures. Sounds like I'll feel right at home :mrgreen:

Yes, yes, more Nier fans, very good. Excited for Nier 2 as well, I'd imagine? And a Suda obsessed fan? I highly, highly recommend playing Flower, Sun & Rain. It is my favourite Suda game, even more than killer7, which I already consider a masterpiece. Did you hear that Suda might actually be releasing The Silver Case (Grasshopper Manufacture's first game) soon for the Western audience? I hope he keeps that promise.

Demonoroth wrote:Well after about 13 years of lurking and sneaking about this place, time to finally write something.

I'm really bad at these kinds of things and I'm massively hung over from my Shenmue 3 celebration party so I'll keep it very short.

Damn dude. Lurking for 13 years? Sheesh. Glad you finally decided to join in!

I'm Demonoroth, wherever you see that name pop up on the net it's always gonna be me. I absolutely love Shenmue (especially it's soundtrack). Other games I like are MGS and Yakuza series, good RPGS and the weird stuff like Team Ico stuff, Killer 7 and a good hack'n'slash like Bayonetta from time to time. Well you get the idea :D

A good variety of tastes, then. Yakuza 5 and MGS5 are going to rock. It's going to be a tough year to be choosing game of the year with both of them coming out. I'm also personally looking forward to Fatal Frame 5 and Persona 5 a lot too. It really is the year of the 5's! A truly great year for Japanese games.

For the rest...I just love music. Metal and rock really...but just love good music in general as an example listening to the Daytona USA OST right now :-D

90s Arcade music is just the best, isn't it? I'm currently listening to Street Fighter Alpha 3 soundtrack. I love the classic SEGA sound too though, especially in those AM2 games.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby simsatit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Henry,

PD, if that happens i need to be on vacation on Mars, or anywhere were i am cut off of all comms, it would make me broke, and leave me behind as a wreck.. the SM3 campaign was allready soooo intens..
I cant imagine how PD would be for me....
So i rather carry PD with me as it is...
:):)

Looking forward having a nice time here in the Dojo, who would have thought we would be here in this way...

I remember a few years back we grabbed all little straws we could find and hoped it was SM3, the news section was, well filled with news NOT regarding actual SM3, and now, all of a sudden, we are here....

This takes my breath away...
Love all Shenmue community!

will of the ancients

-sona mi areru ec sancitu-
simsatit

Postby Pltnm06Ghost » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:52 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Welcome the Dojo, people! What a time to be a Shenmue fan! And I hope for the same results for Panzer Dragoon one day...

Pltnm06Ghost wrote:My list of top three favorite games of all time are Shenmue 1+2, NieR Gestalt, and Asura's Wrath in that order. I also have a terminal obsession over Suda51 games. My favorites being No More Heroes, its sequel, Shadows of the Damned, Killer Is Dead, and Killer7.

Yes, yes, more Nier fans, very good. Excited for Nier 2 as well, I'd imagine? And a Suda obsessed fan? I highly, highly recommend playing Flower, Sun & Rain. It is my favourite Suda game, even more than killer7, which I already consider a masterpiece. Did you hear that Suda might actually be releasing The Silver Case (Grasshopper Manufacture's first game) soon for the Western audience? I hope he keeps that promise.

Oh my gosh, I'm HYPED for NieR 2! It's the game my best friend and I are mutually looking forward to the most this year. With Platinum working on the battle system, it has the potential to be one of the greatest action games ever made. I've listened to FSaR's soundtrack every now and then and I really wanna get into it. Unfortunately I don't have a DS and I won't be getting one anytime soon. And I hope he really does bring it over. The more Grasshopper games to cram into my library, the better XD
Pltnm06Ghost

PSN: Pltnm06Ghost
Nintendo FC: Same as above.
Steam: This too.
Currently playing: Chrono Phantasma Extend

Postby ryoisback » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:55 am

Hey everybody. Been away from gaming for awhile. Saw the announcement for Shenmue 3 and shat myself but I was pretty late I guess. I think I can contribute to the forums So hey! Nice to be here.
ryoisback
Banned
Banned

PSN: rai90102
XBL: raigamez0901
Steam: r41tkd091
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Saven » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Hello, I'm Saven. I have been a long time lurker and finally decided to join now that Shenmue III is now a reality! :D

I'm currently replaying Shenmue 1 now and will get to Shenmue 2 right after (and just bought an original Xbox just for it lol). I never have finished Shenmue II :oops: (the X360 emulation really bothered my experience), but now I am determined to finally finish it now. Shenmue 1 is such a great game and I am glad (and obviously many others) to see it is finally getting another installment. I'm proud to announce that I donated $100 to the Shenmue III KS, even if I haven't completed Shenmue II yet.

My favorite franchises are Streets of Rage, Metal Gear Solid, etc. I am also an active member in the Streets of Rage community. Glad to be on here! :)
Saven
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: SavenForever
XBL: SavenForever
Steam: SavenForever
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby FetchQuests » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi lads,

Been lurking for about 8-9 years. I came here after googling how to fix my dreamcast and I think I found a thread here or linked from here on how to do so and stuck around. I've made a couple of accounts over the years but never posted. With Shenmue 3 being announced, and hopefully Shenmue 4/5 to complete the story, it seems a good time to join in. There have been massive disappointments each year and I'm glad we are going to finally get a continuation of the story... anyway hi!
FetchQuests

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic