The Walking Dead (AMC TV Series)

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The Walking Dead (AMC TV Series)

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 am

Anyone else watch this? Seems AMC is kicking all kinds of ass with shows. Breaking Bad,Mad Men and The Walking Dead.

Some might be put off by the fact it has Zombies but they are not even really important at all. Just the backdrop for the situation and characters. Really one of the best post apocalyptic shows ever. Really shows the struggles of survival. Also it shows no character is safe at all. The best part is I read the creators have no plans to explain how the outbreak happened nor ever find a cure. So far my fave characters are
Glenn,Maggie and Michone(just so badass with the sword)

I know there is a comic but tv show has changed a few things so the comic can't be fully relied on for spoilers. Then of course the Telltale games. I played ep 1 only.

If you don't have AMC I know a site you can watch the entire series (as well as other shows) in HD for free but to be safe PM me for it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: The Walking Dead-AMC

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am

I haven't been keeping up with the new episodes this season since the premiere was so underwhelming. I feel like catching up though.

I think the Telltale game far eclipses the show a million miles in terms of story and characters. The show doesn't even get good until halfway in season 2, and even then its still not as good as the game's slower moments.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, TwiceFriedRice
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 am

Everyone seems to be obsessed with it. It's pretty much the only show my brother watches, and he was just complaining the other day because a bunch of people he knows posted spoilers for an episode he hadn't watched all over facebook.
But I just can't get interested.
I like the intentions of it; post-apocalyptic zombie show where you actually care about the characters, rather than just waiting for the next one to get killed. Solid idea all around.
But I watched the first season and, seriously, didn't like a single character other than Rick. They all seem like boring, humorless dweebs.
I know, I know: "You have to watch the second and third seasons! That's when you start to like the characters!"
I've heard it. But you know, if after 6 or 7 freakin' episodes I still don't like anyone... I'll generally just leave it alone.
My brother still has intentions to make me watch the rest of it, and if he ever actually decides to watch it with me, I'll give it a further chance.
But as it is, I just don't really get the hooplah, other than the fact that it is a zombie show. Really wanted to like it from the start, but now it just feels... "eh".
There are better shows on tv.
Mad Men and Justified are miles better in my eyes, and yet no one I personally know actually watches them, but they do watch the Walking Dead. Kind of a shame.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 am

The characters grow and change. So many characters will not be the same person as season 1 or 2. Events change them for better or worse. The cast also changes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:50 am

They fucked up the prison arc which is the best part of the comic.

Also the Governor and Michonne have been poorly used for most of S3. Still enjoy it enough to keep watching but it should have been so much better.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 am

It shouldn't take a season and a half before things get interesting. Even Breaking Bad only took a few episodes before it got good.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, TwiceFriedRice
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 pm

See i thought it was well paced right from the start.

Season 3 has suffered by insisting on doing 2/3 Andrea heavy episodes which have just sucked. Hell they even had an episode without Rick and the main survivors.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

While zombies may not be important in season 3, Robert Kirkman said that season 4 would focus on them a lot more, which puts me off quite a bit.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I liked the show all the way up until the middle of Season 3. Then, nothing happened for the next 5 episodes and I haven't even watched the latest episode yet. The characters, some of who managed to be mildly interesting at first, have become dull and uninspired. Mix that in with plot holes and bad acting and you have the makings of "meh" TV. The show was never a fantastic one, but it usually managed to be entertaining at the very least.

It's a shame this show, like, quadruples the ratings that both Mad Men and Breaking Bad get. Literally everyone I've talked to says they watched the first episode of Breaking Bad and just couldn't get into it. I tell them to watch the first 2 or 3 episodes and they'll be hooked. No one bothers. I finally did get my dad to watch it though, and sure enough after the 2nd episode he couldn't get enough.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Everyone loves Breaking Bad here. It's the most talked about show next to WD and MM.

WD is huge cause of the zombies, let's face it. It's the only way to consistently watch quality zombie on human violence without having to pay for it on the big screen. Everyone loves zombies. Fuck me, i'm trying to get a part as a zombie in this horror flick here.

Kenny has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Zombies are initially what turned me off to the series as I find them boring. Not scary and already done to death (no pun) I argued I could not watch another zombie thing. Then I watched it and not not feeling it. Watched the first season. Was not feeling it. Watched the second season and started to get into it. The characters. They could have done a series where computers went out or nuclear holocaust but been there done that. Also to me the zombies themselves are not important at all. What is important is what they represent. As people try and survive this impending doom and end to all is lurking around them. Will humanity survive or will everything end. Will people succumb to the disease or themselves losing who they are. Just much harder to do with nuclear as bombs have gone off it's done. Nothing else. Computers. Ok so nothing works but can still function even if it is the 1800's again.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm

I must be missing the Breaking Bad talk here. Can you point me in that direction?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Sailors? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Just caught up with Season 3, I've watched all of it in the space of a week because I'm that hooked. Some of it's boring yeah but there are rare moments in this that really shine. Daryl is by far my favourite, when he started to care for Sophia and Carol and what just happened in Season 3. Never read any of the comics or played the game so I went into this fresh and have no idea how it'll pan out. I can't really see an end to it at the moment which is worrying, hope it doesn't end on a flop like so many other shows.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Tuffty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:12 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: I liked the show all the way up until the middle of Season 3. Then, nothing happened for the next 5 episodes and I haven't even watched the latest episode yet.

This is just how I feel. Season 3 started off so strongly and off the end of Season 2 where it seemed like so little happened, things just happened so fast that was engaging, shocking and emotional. The first half of S3 has one of the best episodes I've seen on any TV show ever. And then it comes to the town and the Govenor and it's just fizzled out.

I like the show, it's still enjoyable to watch but it's fairly inconsistent. At times it shows moments of brilliance while other times it just frustrates and annoys me with the writers having characters make stupid decisions in order to create some fake dramatic tension
Looking at you pregnant Lori rushing out by herself to get Rick.

Of course having said that, it doesn't help that the show keeps going through different showrunners, with ones taking on other people's story arcs and having to work around that. The last few episodes have been taken on by a new showrunner, one who will lead the show next season, and I gotta say it looks promising. The past few episodes have been really good, the Rick/Carl/Michonne centered one in particular. Here's hoping he stays. And that he kills off Andrea soon because fuck Andrea.

I think the game tells a better story than the show though. Not because the show is really bad, but because the game is really good, that when you see it all you can't compare the two.

Also, The Walking Dead and Toy Story are one and the same.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 am

This weeks episode was good

Merle going out strong

Slightly annoying that the UK has to wait 5 days after the US so i have to avoid anything WD between then.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic