The weekly movie discussion topic. Week 2:Back to the Future

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

The weekly movie discussion topic. Week 2:Back to the Future

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Thought i would give this a try. Every Saturday someone picks a film or series and the forum can discuss it any way they want as long as things don't turn nasty. Only other rule is the film has to have been released so no up coming films.
I know we have the rate the last film topic but you don't normally get an actual discussion about them.

Seeing as I'm in the mood to watch this on BD tonight i thought we could start with Event Horizon starring Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd0nQUF00Sg[/youtube]

Released in 1997 and for me Paul W. S. Anderson's best film [not saying much]. Also actually one of the few films to scare me and not just rely on cheap jumps.

So discuss, Like or hate? Good points and bad points.
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: The weekly movie discussion topic. Week 1:Event Horizon

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Had good ideas, but it was executed poorly. I know a lot of people go on about the film's depiction of hell being brilliant and the fact that you only saw it in flashes made it better, etc., etc., but I only ever watch horror or gory films either coz the missus makes me or to actually see something happen. I watched the film, saw the depiction of hell and what Sam Neil had become n shit, understood the story perfectly well, but I didn't feel like I saw something happen. That, for me, made it a huge disappointment.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I remember skipping through it a bit as a kid and thinking some parts were creepy.
But when I actually watched it all the way through a couple years ago, as an adult, it just seemed kind of dumb and kitschy. There were some cool ideas, as Mitts said, and I'm sure it holds nostalgic value for a lot of people now, but I can't really consider it a "good" movie. If it's Paul WS Anderson's best movie... I think all that tells me is that Paul WS Anderson is a really poor director.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:40 pm

OL wrote: I remember skipping through it a bit as a kid and thinking some parts were creepy.
But when I actually watched it all the way through a couple years ago, as an adult, it just seemed kind of dumb and kitschy. There were some cool ideas, as Mitts said, and I'm sure it holds nostalgic value for a lot of people now, but I can't really consider it a "good" movie. If it's Paul WS Anderson's best movie... I think all that tells me is that Paul WS Anderson is a really poor director.

He is a really poor director. I think this film showed promise for Anderson as a director, that there was something there that could be ironed out or improved upon, unfortunately he moved in the wrong direction with his subsequent films.

Personally, my favourite Paul W.S Anderson film is the original Mortal Kombat film, but that's really because of nostalgia. It's clearly a guilty pleasure, like this film, really.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:10 am

Yeah having watched it again its not scary like it was when i was 13/14. Ive always wanted to see the 30 minutes that got cut.
The reason they got cut was because the studio and test audiences found them too gruesome and apparently the studio all but chucked the deleted scenes away.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Yeah having watched it again its not scary like it was when i was 13/14. Ive always wanted to see the 30 minutes that got cut.
The reason they got cut was because the studio and test audiences found them too gruesome and apparently the studio all but chucked the deleted scenes away.

Honestly? I found the disemboweling scene gruesome enough, so that's weird that they cut out a scene even more violent then that. :-s
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Yep. Had a look and saw this on wiki

Anderson said that his initial cut of the film, before the visual effects had been completed, ran to about 130 minutes in length. The film was even more graphic in this incarnation, and both test audiences and the studio were unnerved by the gore. Paramount ordered Anderson to cut the film by thirty minutes and delete some of the violence, a decision that he regrets. Some of the lost scenes were offered as special features on the 2006 DVD but were taken from poor quality video tape, the only format in which the scenes now exist; the studio had little interest in keeping unused footage and the film has since been lost.

The original cut including the missing footage was reportedly found on VHS as announced in an interview by Paul W.S. Anderson when he was at ComicCon 2012

This is some of the deleted scenes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK1debnXYlA[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Hellraiser.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe_JKD6Ax8Q[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Don't remember the film other than it had great SCI-FI sets and they went completely wasted on the material they went with. But it had cool scenes here and there.

The unreleased footage there looks disturbing but only cause of the music and they way they edited it. I'm sure it would've been very cool if they released the whole unedited version if it weren't for those stupid pantywaist test audiences who probably faint at even the slightest hint of blood. Glad there's a VHS tape of the whole thing at least, I want them to release that.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I like the film but only because I loved the sets the idea and some of the imagery. It could have been really cool but the writing was bad and the film felt very rushed in areas. I'd love to see someone try this film again and just fix the writing and a few other things.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: The weekly movie discussion topic. Week 2:Back to the Fu

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:28 pm

The trilogy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yosuvf7Unmg[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 am

The original is one of the best movies of the 80s, hands down. Clever, funny, exciting... it's everything a good popcorn movie should be, and nothing that it shouldn't.
The sequel is great, and I find it really clever how they intertwined/re-shot scenes from the first movie into its story, but it's a little harder to watch nowadays because of the embarrassingly "80s" version of the future that it presents. Still, ignoring the aesthetics for those parts, it's easily one of the better sequels ever made, from a story perspective.
And the third movie gets a lot of shit from people, but I still love it. They finally made a story focusing on Doc Brown, and that's nothing but awesome.

Overall, easily one of the best trilogies ever made. I personally rank it higher than Star Wars, and just about neck-and-neck with Indiana Jones.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 am

OL wrote: And the third movie gets a lot of shit from people, but I still love it. They finally made a story focusing on Doc Brown, and that's nothing but awesome.

It does?

I find it hard to pick a favorite as I don't really look at it as 3 separate films like I do with other series. I think this has to do with watching them back to back so many times and the fact they pick up one after the other.

It fights for second place in my favorite trilogy's with Toy Story.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 am

I don't get the hate for 3 myself as it combined BttF and Westerns which is a win win for me.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic