Latest Purchases

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Latest Purchases

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Hate to break it to you but Nvidia reserves the majority of their enhancements for only their currently line of products.

https://tech4gamers.com/nvidia-geforce- ... y-drivers/

It keeps incentive to upgrade often and frequently. AMD in contrast retroactively gives the big gains in modern games even to cards several generations behind. The 290x is an example of a card that has legs most Nvidia cards of its time could only dream of. That isn't to say that the 1060 isn't a good value, mind you. But if you're interested in one you need to know what kind of longevity it's probably going to have.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:23 pm

You aren't breaking anything to me though. Did you read my previous post? It proves the article you linked is nothing but click bait. Not sure why people latch onto articles like that. No where on that Nvidia page does it say they stop supporting the 900 series. That is the guys own opinion and clearly not first hand experience.

Every time they release a new series of GPU, the previous one gets added to legacy product page. That doesn't mean they stop supporting it. Its just no longer the flagship since a new series is out. Its been like that with every series before the 900 but the guy is acting like its a big deal for page views. The newest official driver has support dating back to the 400 series.

The 780 I've been using for three years (which is not my first Nvidia GPU) is still fully supported and receives performance enhancements and optimizations from new drivers. My card isn't missing any enhancements at all. There are no features held back from it when the 900 series released. My friend on a four year old card receives the same treatment.

I've been in the IT industry for over 10 years. I've worked in data centers that used both AMD and Nvidia GPU's and can tell you both companies support their products just as well as the other. That's not to mention the hundreds of custom PC's I've built when I was working part time at a shop during/after I got out of high school.

I'm fully aware of the longevity both AMD and Nvidia provide. With the amount of tests people run on an almost weekly basis if either of them legitimately stopped support for their cards after a year they would go out of business. The AMD vs Nvidia thing is dumber than Microsoft vs Sony.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Added a bit more to my Vampire Hunter D collection.
Almost have all the books (they're up to... I believe 24 at the moment? And this brings me up to 15), even though I actually still have yet to finish the third book. :lol:
Just started that up again though, so I'm hoping to start flying through them. Really enjoyable stuff.
The one with the yellowish cover is actually the Reader's Guide; basically a Vampire Hunter D encyclopedia kind of thing, with a short story or two added in for good measure.
Greylancer, meanwhile, takes place in the same universe as D, but with a different protagonist. The most exciting thing about it though is the fact that, despite the rather poor, uninteresting cover art which is by someone else, Greylancer actually features interior illustrations by Ayami Kojima (most notable for her artwork on the Castlevania series). Really great artist. Actually, it's pretty impressive the amount of great artists Hideyuki Kikuchi has gotten to illustrate his books over the years, from Yoshitaka Amano for the D series, Jun Suemi for his Demon City books, and now Ayami Kojima for Greylancer. Really classy, high-quality stuff. Definitely a far cry from the shitty modern-anime illustrations you usually get with serialized Japanese novels like these.

EDIT: Added A Wind Named Amnesia/Invader Summer to all that. Supposedly Kikuchi's first novels, so that'll be an interesting read.

EDIT 2: Just got the Greylancer novel in the mail and... what the frig?! The publisher omitted the illustrations for the localized version!
Heresy. Not only did they change the cover art from the excellent original version, but they leave out all those tasty bits of art as well. Still looking forward to the actual story, but man... way to screw up a localization.

OL has received 3 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Jokatech19, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 pm

OL wrote:
Added a bit more to my Vampire Hunter D collection.
Almost have all the books (they're up to... I believe 24 at the moment? And this brings me up to 15), even though I actually still have yet to finish the third book. :lol:

I hate to say this OL but... You're a total slut for D ;-) :lol:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm

Decided to upgrade from my Walkman headphones. Didn't actually realise Sony still make ear bud headphones so I snapped them for £11.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Axm
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Finally got my new baby hanging on the wall.

I saved up for a new TV almost all year and lived without a TV for months. It's just unbelievable to have this thing in front of me. The first picture may give a clue as to how far or rather how close I sit from it. The immersion is crazy.
I would've never thought that I'd buy a Sony. But since this is simply the best package on the market I couldn't refuse the brand.

BlueMue has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Mr357, Sonikku, St. Elmo's Fire
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Bravia AND HDR. WHOA!

Do Want. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Mr357 has received 3 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, myshtuff, Raithos
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:32 am

Sony Xperia Z5 Compact with charging dock.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Axm
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby King John Blaze » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:43 pm

BlueMue wrote: Finally got my new baby hanging on the wall.

I saved up for a new TV almost all year and lived without a TV for months. It's just unbelievable to have this thing in front of me. The first picture may give a clue as to how far or rather how close I sit from it. The immersion is crazy.
I would've never thought that I'd buy a Sony. But since this is simply the best package on the market I couldn't refuse the brand.

Bravia and bravo. It reminds me how I can never go down in size when it comes to televisions. First purchase was a 32" and I thought that was big. I then got a 50" and was amazed. Now I have had a 55" for almost a year and already I am thinking of getting a 60" or bigger.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonikku » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:56 pm

This thread is quickly becoming "Latest Sony Purchases". :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I got an iphone SE as my first smartphone. Weirdly enough, even with the payments towards the new phone, and the new data plan, i'm paying less than i did when I had a basic phone... I'm not gunna complain but it's weird.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Calshot » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:48 pm

€215 including shipping for a pair of gloves. These better be the best damn gloves I've ever used.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:52 pm

For wrestling Bears?

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:28 pm

For fencing. Quality gloves are a big deal because swinging 3lbs of steel can mess up a hand pretty bad. The best currently available options are all around €200 something, and even then it's a matter of "best of what we've got so far, i.e. least bad" rather than perfect.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic