Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Wake me up when they make a solo Batman film again.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:55 pm

^ There are already rumours about that swirling around - Ben Affleck directing, Joker and Red Hood as antagonists, story based on Death in the Family and Under the Hood, title "The Batman" apparently. All with a bucket of salt of course.

Reading through the last couple of pages I have to say I'm pretty much with MITTENZ concerning both Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman. It's just this third trailer that I don't really know how to feel about. But there's no sense in judging before seeing the actual thing, which I'm still very much looking forward to. It's still my most anticipated movie (closely followed by The Force Awakens).

EDIT: Whoa, change of mind. I watched that trailer 5 or 6 times over the course of the day and I'm really starting to warm up to it. Which makes me happy. Yeah, the tone seems confusing at first, but I'm starting to like it. Dark Superhero Drama with a little Avengers style humour sprinkled on top. It's kind of crazy and weird, but somehow in a good way. It looks like the comics have come to life.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 pm

^^This honestly strikes me as a studio-cut trailer, the kind of thing where they try to make the movie out to be as pop culture-appealing as they can, so they probably included whatever goofy "giggle" moments they could. Those points where the music cuts out so they can do a "wink at the camera" line... yeah, that's totally a studio advertising tactic. It always makes things seem goofier than they're actually going to be in-context. From everything shown and talked about so far, I wouldn't bet on it being so comedy-tinged as the Avengers flicks (actually just Marvel movies in general). People have already talked about how they're aiming for most of these DC flicks to be a little more serious, so I'm not banking on this trailer being a proper representation of the actual "feel" they're going for. I think the first trailer was probably a better indicator of that.

Whatever the case, I'm still hyped for this. That trailer is a little cringey, but it's all in the way it's been edited; in the actually movie I'm sure it won't feel so "here's a quip, now here's another!"
As a huge DC fan (or at least one who always loved DC more than Marvel; haven't actually read a new comic in a while) I'm excited as hell to be seeing all this great imagery actually being pulled off well in live-action. I'm honestly still floored by how good the costumes look for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (the last one in particular is seeming cooler every time I see new footage, and her solo movie seems to be shaping up nicely), and now I'm just as confident in the casting as well. Cavill was already, in my eyes, the best live-action Superman; He was just stuck in the confines of a merely "okay" movie with Man of Steel. But now that he's down to the more classic "Clark Kent, reporter" thing, he's gonna be nigh-perfect in the role. And Affleck as Bruce Wayne seems just right now. It's actually funny to think how opposed to him so many people were when he was first cast, but now I see barely any talk of how wrong it is. Call me crazy, but I'm guessing he's easily going to be the best live-action Batman yet; none of the earlier actors made the character terribly interesting, but Affleck has the presence to pull it off, and his line delivery in this trailer is actually really good.

Of course, that's all just casting and visual stuff. Story-wise, I have no idea if it'll be any good. Man of Steel, despite having grown on me quite a bit since seeing it a while back, felt a little... inconsistent in its storytelling. I just didn't like it at first. Being that this has pretty much the exact same creative team behind it, I'm not completely sure what to expect. Now that this "universe" is finally getting off the ground, I'm thinking it might flow a little better, but you never know.
But I do think they should have saved Doomsday for the final movie, rather than ruining his appearance with a trailer. Would have been a good surprise (even though it had been rumored for a while).

Me, I'm honestly just tired of the style of Marvel's superhero movies, so I'm looking forward to an actual change. Suicide Squad notwithstanding, I'm excited for just about everything DC-related at the moment.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:42 pm

^ I'm totally with everything you said, except that I like what we've seen from Suicide Squad so far. I also grew up as a DC kid and always preferred that universe to most Marvel stuff. The Marvel movies are still solid and entertaining, but I can't get hyped for them. I'm extremely hyped for that DC universe coming to life though. Snyder is the best man they could hire in order to get the visuals right.. let's just hope they won't let him do too much writing. And yes, I also believe that Affleck will be the best live action Batman we've had so far. I loved that casting decision from the beginning. Heath Ledger. Anne Hathaway. Ben Affleck. Seems like the internet will never learn to just shut the hell up when it doesn't know what it's talking about.
I love that we're getting this darker tone, which is much more true to the source material than the disneyfication Marvel has been and still is doing (not trying to talk Marvel movies down, I really enjoy those as well).
Man, the thought that we're getting a Snyder directed Justice League movie in 2017, with this cast, this tone, these visuals, is blowing my mind.

Edit: That means Justice League, Star Wars: Episode VIII and Shenmue III in the same year. Amongst other awesome stuff. Holy shit.

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:34 pm

GUNS = SUPER POWERS. BATMAN IS FIXED FOREVER NOW!! OMGGGG
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:45 pm

What's wrong with Batman using guns? He has a long history of it. He doesn't exactly go full-Punisher on regular people, but vehicle-mounted turrets against superhumans who can take it are pretty commonplace for him, as are basic projectile launchers (for stuff like impact blasts and grappling hooks).
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:03 pm

I assume I was the only one who took it more for a grappling hook than a gun...
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:35 pm

It looks like hes holding a shot gun in the scene with him superman and wonder woman at the end, anyway this movie has gotten way out of hand and I think its trying to do too much.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Batman fights Superman, then they team up with Wonder Woman to defeat Doomsday. That's too much?

About the gun - yeah, could be a grappling hook or a similar bat-gadget. Or some kind of kryptonite powered gun thingy that was built to weaken Superman and will at that point in the movie be used against Doomsday instead? We'll see.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Monkei wrote: Batman fights Superman, then they team up with Wonder Woman to defeat Doomsday. That's too much?

Exactly, but its not just that.

First of all, Doomsday is Supermans villian and his business entirely, its not right to have batman and wonder woman help superman fight one of his biggest nemesis, I would like to think super man can handle doomsday by himself like he always has, course this may be a new and improved and stronger doomsday, if thats the case its only that way so batman and wonder woman can be thrown in.

Second, Ben Affleck is trying too hard to pull off Bruce Wayne, and Batman and his performance in these trailers leave much to desire at the very least.

Third, the whole gun thing, the stance that batman is taking holding the gun does not make it seem like its a grapling hook or some other gadget that batman uses, he in a military stance holding the gun very precisely as if trained and it looks very weird for batman to be doing this at all.

Fourth, when did Wonder Woman become part of the affair? What alley did she just pop out from? Is she really necessary? Kinda feels like shes thrown in to attempt an Avengers like multi-hero cast, and I know why because this is the back story to what ultimately forms the Justice League except... This isnt Justice League this is supposedly "Batman V Superman". Huh? I guess its wonder woman too? Idk its just strange and feels forced.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:38 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Third, the whole gun thing, the stance that batman is taking holding the gun does not make it seem like its a grapling hook or some other gadget that batman uses, he in a military stance holding the gun very precisely as if trained and it looks very weird for batman to be doing this at all.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Calshot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 pm

I'm not crazy about Eisenberg's Lex. I'm hoping that he'll be less goofy when not maintaining a public image. They might have just edited it to have more goofy Lex just to add some comic relief in there. I still need to see Wonder Woman talk to see if she's any good. Her past roles haven't inspired much confidence in her acting abilities. I like Cavill and Affleck though.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
Exactly, but its not just that.

First of all, Doomsday is Supermans villian and his business entirely, its not right to have batman and wonder woman help superman fight one of his biggest nemesis, I would like to think super man can handle doomsday by himself like he always has, course this may be a new and improved and stronger doomsday, if thats the case its only that way so batman and wonder woman can be thrown in.

People fight each other's villains all the time in comics. Other characters have fought Doomsday before too. Wasn't the first Avengers all about fighting Loki, who's primarily a Thor villain? I guess it's okay when Marvel does it.

Besides, it's not like Doomsday is even really that good of a character. He's just a mindless killing machine that's strong enough to kill Superman. Doesn't really make for compelling stories.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:Third, the whole gun thing, the stance that batman is taking holding the gun does not make it seem like its a grapling hook or some other gadget that batman uses, he in a military stance holding the gun very precisely as if trained and it looks very weird for batman to be doing this at all.

That's literally how everyone holds a rifle when you're not using it. Anyways, the gun looks to be a grenade launcher.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Calshot wrote:
People fight each other's villains all the time in comics. Other characters have fought Doomsday before too. Wasn't the first Avengers all about fighting Loki, who's primarily a Thor villain? I guess it's okay when Marvel does it.

Okay now you are just dumbing it down. it wasnt like it was the whole avenger team against loki at the same time, there was an alien invasion that was happening that justified the rest of the cast being there and their necessity. If I remember correctly, Thor actually did do most of the fighting against Loki while the rest of the avengers took care of the incoming alien onslaught.

Calshot wrote:That's literally how everyone holds a rifle when you're not using it. Anyways, the gun looks to be a grenade launcher.

No, not everyone holds a rifle like that, but you wanna know who does? People that know what they are doing with them. Are you really presuming that every person knows how to handle a gun and carry it properly? Cmon man...

Also, neither that pic or the one Riku posted looks like the one at the end of the trailer, at this point I guess we can only hope that at least one of these is an actual legitimate batman gadget. Grenade launcher isnt as bad, batman does use explosives, but i believe its more like sticky C4 to open hatches and other things of the sort. But I just dont imagine batman carrying around a gun to shoot and clean up the streets of gotham, its just not his style.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby kuwakodono » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Eh, WB just lost a theater sale with that trailer, I'll be waiting till I can watch it at home now, reasons being:

- Pretty much the whole plot has been revealed
- Annoying as hell Lex
- Crappy looking Doomsday
- Shot of the 3 was ho-hum
- Quips and dialogue seem pretty poorly written in

And I actually liked Man of Steel and loved the first trailer.
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Calshot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:

No, not everyone holds a rifle like that, but you wanna know who does? People that know what they are doing with them. Are you really presuming that every person knows how to handle a gun and carry it properly? Cmon man...

We live in the country with the most civilian gun ownership in the world. Learning how to hold a gun is one of the first things you learn when you start learning how to shoot. Are you telling me a guy who mastered 127 different styles of martial arts can't hold a gun the same way most shooters in America can?

AnimeGamer183 wrote: But I just dont imagine batman carrying around a gun to shoot and clean up the streets of gotham, its just not his style.

Good thing he isn't in Gotham and he's fighting things way above common criminals.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic