Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:19 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
The whole "I won't kill you because our mothers have the same name" thing isn't what everyone makes it out to be. It's quite clear that Batman realises he's just as human as the rest of us, and that when it came down to it, his final words were more concerned with the safety of innocents rather than some statement of defiance.

Thanks for getting that, man. I'd say the first thing that name triggers in Batman's mind is the trauma he suffered. In Snyder's version of the shooting scene "Martha..." was Thomas Wayne's last utterance. Mostly for the audiences to connect the dots I guess, but it also makes the name itself part of Bruce's sad memory. He then realizes Clark's humanity, as you just wrote, and next to that also the potential loss of his own if he continued. He then gets a chance to keep history from repeating itself, kind of, by saving Clark's mom. Works fine for me.

MiTT3NZ wrote: [color=yellow]
The film is very enjoyable. My two main gripes with were that there simply wasn't enough of Superman (I'm a massive fan of Kav-Il... see what I did there?) and that we still don't know if the dead Robin is Jason Todd or Dick Grayson. Gonna be very disappointed if there's no Nightwing in future films.

A liiiiiiittle less killing from Batman would have been great, too. Other than that I really love it, like I said. Concerning Nightwing, there are rumours about Dick Grayson (and Ra's al Ghul and Hugo Strange) cameoing in Suicide Squad, setting up future films. I guess we'll know more later this year. Snyder and Warner seem to aim for an as complete as possible big screen iteration of the whole DC universe, including as many as possible of its most important elements - would be a waste and a weird choice not to include Nightwing.

PS.: Sorry for messing up your yellowness.

Oh, something else: Did you guys know or notice that Jimmy Olsen and KGBeast are in this movie? BvS I mean?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Warner Bros. is being more proactive with their DC cinematic universe, starting with Suicide Squad, and is reportedly going to great expense to get it right.

The expense comes in the form of pricey reshoots that are meant to inject the film with more moments of levity, as opposed to the dire tone of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. A source told birthmoviesdeath.com reporter Devin Faraci that "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer" (referring to the most recent trailers), and due to the ecstatic response those received, Warner Bros. instructed the team to put more moments like those in the final film.

The reshoots have already started, and they're going to add significant cost to the budget. If the movie goes over well with audiences, however, it will be well worth the investment. If the report is true, Warner Bros. seems to be taking a much more active approach going forward, and that could effect Zack Snyder's upcoming Justice League film.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/31/suicide ... ore-humor/
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:56 pm

That's good. The tone in BvS suited it, as did the lack of jokes, but DC's villains tend to be humorous in one way or another, especially when you get them all together. Making Batman a little more cheery's as simple as introducing Nightwing, and Supes will start smiling again once everyone gets off the fucker's back (that's not a criticism btw, the world reacts to him in the films almost exactly how they would irl)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Forcing more humour into an already finished product doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. Neither does giving in to the unwarranted criticism. They should stick with their original plan. People might get it after a couple of movies, and learn to appreciate it. Hope the report isn't true.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Kenny
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:55 pm

I do think it's a bit silly to alter a pretty much already-finished product just because of audience pressure. I'm fine with them slightly altering their tone for other DC movies though (obviously Captain Marvel needs some humor, as do the Flash and Green Lantern).
I honestly think people are just too used to the "quippiness" of Marvel movies, and need to just broaden their ideas of what superhero films can be; I agree, after a couple films, I could see people starting to understand that it doesn't have to be a half-comedy to be good, as they seem to think now. Finally saw Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy recently, and the humor all felt ridiculously forced. Iron Man's "language" teasing on Captain America wasn't funny in the slightest.

Anyway, I think the bigger thing to take away from this is the idea that "all the jokes were in the trailer already." For one thing, the trailer for Suicide Squad wasn't funny at all; in fact, any "humor" was just kind of embarrassing and cringy (just about every line out of Margot Robbie was making me facepalm).
And secondly, this is a movie already featuring The Joker and Harley Quinn; if the trailer was already showcasing the extent of the film's humor, then clearly the filmmakers don't understand what makes those characters good to begin with. The Joker should have been funny already. The best Joker material I've read or seen has him doing awful things, but making you laugh regardless. Even Ledger's performance in TDK had a tone of dark comedy to it; he's fucking hilarious, even in a film as serious as that. It's why he was appealing to begin with.
So all I'm taking away from this is that, as I'd guessed before, Leto is probably playing the role as just a laughing thug. There's nothing funny from him in the trailers, and all we see of him otherwise is gunfire and aggressive movement.
I know we should always be open to something "new," but this still ain't the Joker I want.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Ziming » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:58 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Monkei
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Whilst I agree that pressure from the critics is a daft reason for reshoots, I don't care as long as it leads to a better final product. Personally, I'd love for it to have the exact same tone, but with brutally dark humour from Joker and Harley, along with the Suicide Squad's usual brand of grim humour that usually results in someone's head being blown off or a snide remark following a betrayal.

Basically, I want them to keep it all as dark as possible, but there should be certain characters (read: not entire films) that are funny or humorous in some way. Just don't try retconning the universe into a Marvel lookalike. What they're doing works, imo. Marvel's taken reality and shoved it into the comic book world for their films, whereas DC have done the opposite. Run with it. It's gonna pay off. And even if it doesn't, I fucking love it.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:40 pm

Totally valid points about how Suicide Squad/Joker/Harley should be, but the movie is what it is, and I fear reshoots for more "jokes" can only make it worse. They most certainly won't change anything major about how it all is portrayed.. so it's a bad thing in any case I think.

Don't agree on Green Lantern needing much humour by the way.. Shazam and The Flash, yeah, definitely. And while I could see Green Lantern work with over the top alien worlds and filled with quite a lot of humour, kind of leaning towards Guardians of the Galaxy, I think I'd much rather like it to have a Man of Steel kind of tone to it. But still with all the crazy alien worlds and creatures and stuff. And I'm sure it'll have those, the movie's called "Green Lantern Corps" after all.
They tried to copy Iron Man with the Ryan Reynolds movie, definitely the wrong approach. A darker Green Lantern (Corps) movie would work and could be great, don't you think?

Edit: A Flash/Green Lantern movie would of course rock. Humour, banter, fun. But they should never try to compensate for the sillyness of Green Lantern's world by tagging humour onto it.. they should just embrace how crazy it is and depict it in a serious manner.

Edit 2: If not Man of Steel, then maybe Star Wars would be the right thing to look to when it comes to tone and the mix of humour and seriousness for Green Lantern.
Last edited by Monkei on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:53 pm

I'd like GL Corps to be more of a buddy cop film, with Stewart as the straight man to Hal's Geoff Johns-penned clown. After all, Hal Jordan is nothing if not an utter bellend who throws out so many jokes that one of them eventually lands you're reminded of why he wasn't in the main DCAU.

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Haha, really? :D I'm far from a Green Lantern expert. I just thought of the whole Parallax story. And of Kyle Rainer, who found his girlfriend's body in a freezer? Cut into pieces? If I remember correctly. That means the Ryan Reynolds version of Hal wasn't even that far off? I always thought it was kind of a misrepresentation.. oops.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:11 pm

I like the thought of it as Lethal Weapon with god-like power rings. :lol:
That would legitimately be an amazing movie.

Honestly, I enjoyed the Ryan Reynolds one and don't really get why people hate on it so much. No worse than Marvel's earlier movies, in my eyes. The training sequences with Kilowog and Sinestro were great. And for that matter Sinestro being played by Marc Strong was effing perfect. The portrayal of Oa and the Corps itself was great too. Such a blast, picking through the backgrounds and seeing so many actual characters from the comics.
But I do like the thought of it being a little more serious whenever GL Corps comes about.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Likewise. The only things I really didn't like were how Parallax was portrayed and Hector Hammond. I've never really been a fan of Hal Jordan or "Green Lantern on Earth" though tbh. I prefer em to just fuck off to another galaxy and act like the intergalactic cops that they are.

And agreed on Marc Strong. Michael Clarke Duncan was just as perfect for Kilowog n'all.

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Warner Bros. is being more proactive with their DC cinematic universe, starting with Suicide Squad, and is reportedly going to great expense to get it right.

The expense comes in the form of pricey reshoots that are meant to inject the film with more moments of levity, as opposed to the dire tone of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. A source told birthmoviesdeath.com reporter Devin Faraci that "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer" (referring to the most recent trailers), and due to the ecstatic response those received, Warner Bros. instructed the team to put more moments like those in the final film.

The reshoots have already started, and they're going to add significant cost to the budget. If the movie goes over well with audiences, however, it will be well worth the investment. If the report is true, Warner Bros. seems to be taking a much more active approach going forward, and that could effect Zack Snyder's upcoming Justice League film.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/31/suicide ... ore-humor/

Smells of desperation.

They really shouldn't emulate Marvel Studios unless by way of their Netflix shows.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Just replace Will Smith. That'll save a boat load right there, and maybe even result in a better casting choice.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:23 pm

It'll take a whole lot more to fix it based on the trailers.

But Will Smith was a pretty bad casting choice.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic