Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Postby OL » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:41 pm

I keep hearing wildly varying stuff about it, with most of the really negative stuff sounding like it's from people who were already dead-set on not enjoying it. Taking it all with a grain of salt, but the true initial reactions that I read (tweets and whatnot from critics at the premier) sounded pretty damn positive, while the full text reviews seem a bit more pretentious, and intent of condemning the movie for its dark tone.

Eh, guess we'll see.
I would probably have gone to see it opening day (Friday, right?), but I've already been invited to a rented-out private screening on the 28th, so I'll have to skip the weekend.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 pm

I had sky high hopes for episode 7 when Rotten Tomatoes was averaging a 95% approval rating from movie critics. Then I went to see it and it was ehh...
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Personally, I can't and never will take superheroes seriously. I don't want to. Superman in particular is so preposterous that if he isn't at least slightly camp, he's boring as hell. Until Nolan's abomination, Batman always retained its core of humor, owing to the fact that it's about a rich guy dressed up as a bat in underwear fighting clowns. B:TAS, for example, retained a dark style without ever once indulging in a dark tone. Only rarely would the profound sneak up on you, and that's what made it great. If there's no room for Alfred to play to the audience by making fun of Bruce, the whole thing just becomes an obnoxious eye roll, in my correct opinion.

For Superman, my litmus test is the suit. If its bright and spandex with absolutely no pretense of 'grittiness', it's the real deal. I want my Superman to feel like Star Trek: The Original Series. Pure pulp.

My second litmus test for the greatness of any superhero flick is about 75% necessary: art deco. There are no new superheroes that will be remembered because the present time has no style and universal ideals. Superheroes were a product of the mad progressivism of the early to mid 20th century. They can only find a home in some kind of futurist mindset, adorned by colossal architecture of monumental style. Modern grit is really just a manifestation of massive social and political decay in the west, and shoehorning superheroes into what is essentially a post-apocalyptic setting is utterly inappropriate and farcical because it's anachronistic, like putting Hercules in Fallout.

If superheroes ever make a comeback, they will re-emerge in Asia or wherever new metropolises are rising, where there is still a progressive mindset and a unified culture producing children in need of entertainment and role-models.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Sonikku
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:47 pm

I will see it tomorrow night at midnight. Not going in to love it or hate it, I will remain just as a movie goer should. A blank slate.

My friend is a huge superman fan and he said a good point, that going by all of the story elements seen in the trailers, and all of the characters set to cameo etc, how the hell can this all be squeezed into a 2.5 hour movie? It's either going to be glorious, or a cluster fuck of crazy shit.

We will see what happens.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:06 pm

I've just seen it. I think I like it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Fuck off KiBa you Trekkie cunt.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby KiBa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:39 am

lol, I am a Trekkie cunt. Pure ecstasy, in an out. So I will promptly fuck off and let you Superfans analyze spoilers.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 pm

This movie can fucking die. I honestly wouldn't know where to start, from beginning, middle to end. From Doomsday, Lex Luthor in general, Superman and this movie, the editing, the story, the fucking Junkie "wanna hear my guitar everyone wonder woman is on screen" XL.

Oh man I'm salty right now.

Positives:

Ben Affleck. Surprisingly better than expected.
Jeremy Irons. The same old Alfred, but different which is a semantically null statement, but you will get it when you see it.
Staying true to Frank Millers look and feel of the world.
Gal Gadot. Good, and fresh throughout the movie.

I'm struggling with anything else here at all.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:44 am

I had low expectations for it, but it did surprised me on the positive side! It's not amazing given it's a Snyder film, but it was way better than the last Avengers movie.

The negative would be the unfocused direction and parallel plot lines with loose threads and undeveloped characters. For the positive, the production was top notch and the action and its buildup were awesome! Overall I recommend it if you are fan of the super-hero genre.

My advice for those going to watch it is that it's kind of required to have seen "Man of Steel" as BvS is a direct sequel, and many characters and story from MoS is carried over to this movie, including Superman's "emotional baggage". The only spoiler I will give (and you will thank me for it) is that there are no post credit scenes in this movie, a clear statement that DC wants to distance itself from its rival.

3 out of 5 for me.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:54 am

Yeah, it's a big piece of shit.

Batman/Bruce Wayne - Okay, they got Batman right. He's actually badass again compared to that horrifically boring Christian Bale rendition of him. I liked the fact the Batmobile looked like the Batmobile instead of some toy truck with big wheels and the Batwing looked like the Batwing instead of an awkward flying piece of scrap metal.

But anyone can play Batman, that's not a special skill. The Dark Knight kind of proves that when the masked vigilantes start popping up around the Scarecrow scene. The question is can they play Bruce Wayne. Affleck was...okay. Not bad but not the quintessential billionaire playboy.

Wonder Woman/Diana - Wonder Woman got the crowd cheering when she came in to fight that sad excuse for Doomsday. And rightfully so, this is the first time she appears in a movie probably ever. And she kicked ass, lots of it.

But Gal Gadot as Diana still doesn't win me over. There wasn't much about her, really, so it's still hard to make a full evaluation but I thought she was just eye-candy. When she's fighting and not talking, it was alot more entertaining.

Superman/Clark Kent - About the same as Man of Steel. Plain as vanilla. I feel sorry for Cavill. He and Momoa seem like the only ones perfectly cast in their parts. But his part is not even meaty. In fact, it's fucking wasted. They used the "Death of Superman" plot right away in this one. What a total fucking waste.

Lex Luthor - I like Eisenberg but fuck man, he was HORRIBLY miscast. Everytime he showed up, it was unbearable. I get they needed a goofy, maniacal character to balance the grim & macabre tone of the rest of it but jesus christ...

Doomsday - Why? Why did they shoehorn this character in here? Why?

Alfred - Irons was alright but I dunno, I expect Alfred to be older. Irons looks too youthful for my tastes.

The action scenes were actually not very good, which surprised me. They felt off compared to Snyder's previous attempts like Watchmen and 300. Like the rhythm was off. There was always a ballet-like elegance to his fight scenes but at least there was no cheesy slow-mo.

The story was FUCKING GOD AWFUL. This is what happens when you try so desperately to catch up to Marvel Studios but have no idea how to do so. It was so disjointed in its execution, it became hard to follow and figure out the logistics of the character's motives. They should've kept the stupid thing SIMPLE:

Luthor wants Superman and the other "super-humans" to join him in his conquest for world domination. He needs Batman to complete his "collection" but finds him harder to persuade, so he uses Superman as his pawn to make Batman "join him or die". Which makes it easier as a more hardcore vigilante-like Batman finds Superman dangerous and needs to defeat him for the sake of preserving mankind.

Of course the two find common ground leading Luthor to create his own team starting with a Kryptonian forged from the body of Zod. Along with Wonder Woman, the duo lash out against Luthor and his creation causing the death of Superman and the start of what would be the Justice League when Batman and WW decide to find the remaining super-humans.

I figured this is what they were trying to do, but it was just so uneven it felt like they were cramming too many storylines into one.

They could've simplified the Kyptonite plot by having Batman find out where the alien alloy is as a means of destroying Superman, figuring out Luthor has it, tries to steal it, gets it (with much conflict), and forge the spear that would play a part in killing both Superman and Doomsday. Instead it got all weird with shoving Lois Lane in there and Superman just appearing randomly here and there, ugh. It didn't feel NATURAL.

Other than Batman, the scene where they reveal Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman through Diana was pretty cool. I enjoyed that more than the rest of this movie. Honestly, this should've been the main plot in the first place with the actual Batman v Superman conflict being a placeholder. And less flashbacks and weird allusions which were really meant to show us:

1. Luthor wanting to prove to himself, for whatever reason, that Clark Kent is Superman.
2. Batman deciding not to kill Superman.

There are simpler ways to go about this. Fucking Goyer.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 am

Peter wrote: I will see it tomorrow night at midnight. Not going in to love it or hate it, I will remain just as a movie goer should. A blank slate.

Then...

Peter wrote:
This movie can fucking die.

:lol: :P

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Monkei
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:41 am

Love the movie. Afflek really is the best Batman and Bruce Wayne we've had so far. Love how serious the movie is. Love how it looks and feels like the comics come alive. Didn't love it right away, but now that it has sunk in, I'm happy. Need to see it again.

Yes, Lex is pretty annoying and I would have preferred the Social Network Eisenberg/business-Luthor, and yeah, the plot has its flaws and parts of the dialogue are kind of dumb and so on, but hey - it's a comic. The clash between Batman and Superman during the third act is one of the most enjoyable cinema experiences I've had in my life. Fanboy dreams come true. Lois Lane begging Batman to stop hurting the beaten god - great moment.
The death of Superman story felt a little rushed and a little early, sure, and I was quite surprised to see them go there actually (pretty much the only surprise the trailers didn't spoil). But on second thought - as big as the fact that Supes died was back when that comicbook came out, what the hell would you do with it moviewise nowadays? It's nothing but pure rampage and beating each other in the face until two guys drop "dead". And that Cyborg-Superman, Superboy, Eradicator and Steel stuff and Clark coming back with a mullet is all bullshit anyway, so screw that. I don't really care if they find a cool way to put it into Justice League or not.
I'm extremely excited to see where they'll be taking it all in the JL movie and how much of a role the Flash's time travel (really liked what they showed of Ezra Miller) and Darkseid are gonna play. It's just too bad Green Lantern won't be a part of the first JL movie, that's kind of not right. And for BvS I would have liked bigger and better cameos from Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash. But at least we got a glimpse and still have something to look forward to.

It's gonna be interesting to see more of your opinions, this movie is surely gonna divide audiences even more than Man of Steel (which I also loved).
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Sounds more and more like this movie was made for the fanboys (comic book fans) than for Joe Public and like it was badly edited. I thought the movie looked bad enough from the trailers so I'm not even going to bother despite being a Batman fan (didn't like 'Man of Steal Your Money' at all either, such badly written film).

Wake me up when the solo Batman film comes out without Goyer's involvement.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Went and saw it today and went in really wanting to like it. I wasn't a fan of Man of Steel or Suckerpunch but I liked Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead so I was willing to give Zack Snyder another shot and The Dark Knight is my favourite movie. I like Ben Affleck and was quite excited by the news of him being Batman unlike the rest of internet who acted like a bunch of Trip Advisor reviewers who had been given the wrong food at a restaurant. Heck I didn't even mind the news about Jesse Eisenberg as The Social Network showed he can play these modern billionaires that seem to be popping up everywhere. My main concern was how they can have Batman fight and not feel useless against the Man of Steel Superman. I've also had questions about how DC seem to be rushing this franchise but if they do it well then that shouldn't be an issue.

Well I came out of the cinema hating this movie, possibly more then I hated Man of Steel simply because of the promise it wasted and the future it has set up for the DC movie universe. There was two good scenes in the entire movie for me and one of them was Batman taking out the bad guys we see in a recent trailer. I thought that Ben Affleck was the best on screen Bruce Wayne and he didn't have a lot to work with. The movie takes 90 minutes to even feel like something is going to happen a bit like Man of Steel. My main issue though was that so much of the movie just literally doesn't make sense.

What was Lex's motive in this film? At first it seemed like he wanted some kind of defense contract from the government and to kill Superman to get it which makes sense. For some reason he is cooking up Doomsday which wasn't a good idea since it tries to kill him as soon as it's born. Even if Doomsday kills Superman the whole world is going to blame Lex for destroying a city like they blame Superman for what happened in Man of Steel, he's shown he doesn't go down without taking a few skyscrapers with him. As soon as Superman turns up he sends him to Batman to fight as he knows Batman has the kryptonite and can beat him. What would Lex gain from Batman being the one to beat him? If Lex is the one to kill him he can get some deal with the government to be their go to for anti-alien weapons, if Batman beats him then Lex is useless. In prison at the end he talks about someone or something coming yet he just spent the whole film trying to kill the only person who could and has helped the planet?

What was Wonder Woman doing? She steals Bruce's hacking device and just gives it back to him straight away before he even asks. She wasn't looking into LexCorp at all as it takes Bruce sending her an email for her to even look at their files. Her entrance was the second cool scene in this film but she didn't really serve any purpose to the overall plot at all. She could have had the same role as Aquaman and Cyborg in this movie and you let her character be fleshed out in her own movie which is out next year.

What was that Flash time travel scene all about? Bruce was dreaming that the Flash was warning him of something bad that was going to happen? I'd have no issue with that scene if it didn't show Bruce waking up straight after it as it just made it seem like a dream which it can't be as at that point Bruce doesn't know Flash or Lois who he mentions. Also doesn't make sense that Bruce has that nightmare about Superman in the dessert where he mentions Lois when at that point Bruce doesn't know who she is or that Superman has a girlfriend. So either Flash can go back in time but only into dreams or Batman can predict the future. Also when Wonder Woman asks at the end why they need to find the other superheros and Bruce just says he has a bad feeling that's stupid. Sam Jackson says in the Avengers that they just wanted to make the team so they where there in case something was to happen where they would be needed. Bruce could at least say that Doomsday and Zod have shown that the world isn't safe and we need to be ready should something happen again.

Batman was wasted. Outside of a car chase and the fight scene when he saves Ma Kent he is just Bruce Wayne. He fights Superman in a big clunky suit so it's not the smoothest or best fight scene to watch. I've asked a million times why a team needs Batman when they have people like Superman and that didn't get answered here. During the fight with Doomsday he literally just jumps out of the way of a laser beam and that's it, this is while Wonder Woman and Superman are doing the hard work. Throw in people like Flash and Green Lantern I really wonder what Batman will do during the big fight scene in the Justice League movie. I also didn't want another origin story like Batman Begins but it doesn't do much for the future of the series when he says he is pretty much done with stopping people like Penguin and Joker to Alfred as he has bigger fish to fry now. What will the solo Batman film be like when they make it sound like Joker is too small time for him?

The whole Martha part during the fight was cheesy and stupid and could have been done a lot simpler and better.

What was Lois doing during that final fight. I can understand her throwing the staff in the water but how did she know that she needed to get it back?

My initial reaction is that after seeing this I have no interest in seeing the Justice League movie with Zach Snyder at the helm. This is a franchise two movies deep now and I can't say I've liked much of either of them. This has also set the precedent of what the films going forward will be like and I can't say I like what I see.

I really hope Warner Bros pull out of this series fast, take some time and start again.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:31 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I'm debating waiting until home video for once. (I almost never miss these kinds of movies) But my reasoning is that I'm hearing there is about half an hour worth of content that had to be cut just getting it down to the two and a half hour mark and if that content is being added back in for the home release it could make a big difference. Kingdom of Heaven is a good example of a great film that was truncated to fit a proper movie line length in cinema.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic