Japanese Music

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Japanese Music

Postby OL » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:22 am

DockeN wrote: ^ that song was awesome

** Proud to say, I just bought my first album because of a suggestion on a forum!! Girugamesh - Monster.

Thanks man

On that note, may as well post a bit more. Thought this performance was pretty badass. 'Nother song from Monster.

phpBB [video]

Same band, complete change in gears. This is one of my favorite songs by them. A little less metal, more jazzy in a way, but great all the same.

phpBB [video]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby poblequadrat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 am

phpBB [video]

I know this is essentially elevator music, but it's still cool. A bit like a less ominous, sunnier version of the FREE tunes from Shenmue 1? Nah, not really, but give it a listen anyway.

poblequadrat has received a thanks from: OL
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby OL » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Fuck, didn't realize this had already come out. This version is edited by about a minute, but it's great all the same. Buying the full one on iTunes right now.
As a longtime Dir En Grey fan, this video is kind of exciting to see, because it's almost like they've returned to being a visual kei band in a way. I always loved how theatrical and visual they were earlier in their career. Their music continued to evolve and always remained excellent and interesting, but at a certain point they started moving away from their old over-the-top looks, and I always missed that a bit. The videos were just never quite as fun to watch after that.
The new song is fantastic either way (they're still among the best metal bands in the world, I say). Love that chorus. Always great to hear new stuff from them.

phpBB [video]

You know, I think when I look back at things later in life, Dir En Grey is probably going to win out as my favorite band of all time. Been through some good times listening to their music, been through some shitty times listening to their music, but it all adds up to a lot of memories and a constant flow of quality music that I've always been able to look forward to.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

phpBB [video]
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 pm

phpBB [video]

This shit goes hard. I'm headbanging my headphones right off over here.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Someone recommended I listen to AKB recently. I was expecting some totally batshit so bad it's good shit, but the two or three vids I youtubed seemed all pretty unexceptional in every way. This Candy Candy thing is much more of the type of freakish monstrosity I was hoping for!

Also, I don't really get the appeal of Yui. Well I kind of do get it, she has the whole non-diva down to earth uni student who plays guitar vibe going on. And as such she seems to be popular with exactly those types of people, who want something more credible than AKB. But her music (at least the stuff I've sampled) is just such bland vanilla soft pop I can't stay awake for end of the song.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 pm

^^^Don't forget that a cute face goes a long way too. If she were hideous, the male portion of her audience would jump ship almost immediately. Same goes for just about any female Japanese pop star, really.
Actually, that's probably true for most western fans of Japanese music in general. Girls that listen to stuff like the Gazette or Girugamesh mostly only do so because they think the band is cute, disregarding the fact that the music is face-melting awesome. Youtube comments are all about whether the guys look good or not. It's pretty sad.

Rakim wrote:
phpBB [video]

This shit goes hard. I'm headbanging my headphones right off over here.

I suddenly don't mind if you get hit by a car.
I'm gonna be getting cookied recommendations based on that shit now that I clicked play!
Irresponsible use of video tags! Ban!

OL has received a thanks from: Rakim
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:04 am

lmao! Even though I love it I know your pain. Getting unwanted Youtube recommendations is the worst thing evar.

In case it super pisses you off you can actually remove videos from your history on youtube and they will stop suggesting stuff like it. I do it all the time. The link to your history is on the left hand side of the front page if you didn't already know.

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am

Might just be the title of the song influencing me, but I always feel the urge to put this song on when I have to drive in the rain. It just sounds like a rainy song to me.
Always loved this guitarist's style either way. Gives off such a... "lonely" vibe. I love it.

phpBB [video]

Been getting this urge to start putting together my own music recently, and I've been listening to old favorites to push me a little harder. This band is always an inspiration for me.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Nahovil » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 am

And now, something everybody will surely enjoy

phpBB [video]

Perhaps ys knows it.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 am

Just realized some of my saved-up frequent shopper points on CDJapan were about to expire, so I started searching for something to use them on. Ended up grabbing the last two available singles by Skull that I didn't have.
Good shiz.

phpBB [video]

Man, I wish I would have bought their stuff as it came out back in the day. I'm still missing a few cds with some of their best work on them. Not sure I'll ever be able to find them now. It's pretty tough-going, trying to find the sold-out stuff by super-obscure bands like this.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby poblequadrat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 am

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Snakiest » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 pm

AKB48, as well as numerous other 48 bands, is a fad to be soon forgotten. The business model for it is immoral, I can't but watch in awe how the guys who came up with the idea (not their first money printing idea, either) earn billions each year...

I personally like traditional music, so the Shogun soundtrack is always with me. Look up Shogun 2 total war on YouTube. It's awesome.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Rakim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 pm

I can't stop listening to this shit. I'm particularly jealous of how good the bridge/pre-chorus/whatever is.
phpBB [video]

You might appreciate the weirdness here mue.
A bunch of oyaji dress up as a young black girl group from the sixties and somehow we got a few awesome songs out of it.
They even released a movie as these characters but sadly it kinda sucked.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Not bad.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext