Japanese Music

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Japanese Music

Postby mue 26 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks so much! Awesome post right there, very strong contender for post of the year, such a sweet Japanese rap knowledge bomb. I'm actually digging pretty much everything in that post. I've been banging out Mobb Deep's The Infamous for most of the day, so this is pretty much the perfect palate cleanser for the unrelentingly bleak murder music I've been clogging up my mind with for most of the evening.

I really liked that King Giddra stuff, so I wikied them, kind of wish I didn't though...

Though still claiming inspiration from African American groups such as Public Enemy, projects such as The Ultimate Weapon (Saishuu Heiki) contained more overtly nationalistic statements. In 2002, K Dub Shine produced the soundtrack for "The Sakura of Madness," a film chronicling the adventures of a "Neo Tojo" gang who aimed to attack foreigners in Shibuya as a way of "cleaning up the trash."[10] In an interview with Remix magazine in 2009, K Dub Shine openly expressed his right-wing views, including his belief that Japanese soldiers who died in World War II should be honored as fighting for the betterment of Japan. He compared the Occupation of Japan after World War II to the enslavement of black people in America, calling the two a "shared experience" of oppression, and described the Black Panthers as a right-wing organization.

Fucks sake :lol: What the hell is with all these crazy rassclart nationalists! Chuck D would smack him upside his head for that shit.

Good stuff Rakim, I'm give them all those songs another listen! Please post more!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:48 am

If you want the randomcrazyfuntime of your life, look for Melt Banana.

If you need japanese music to slit your wrists to, check Gallhammer. But be warned: the three of them belong to me, body and soul.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Some J-Christmas tunes:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The first is a personal favorite that I don't think is very well known. The second is a Christmas classic that is massively popular in our beloved J-land. I know this because the TV said so. And I do not question the box.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I thought of you the other day Rakim, when in one of my classes they showed us an "erin" video or whatever from that website (you ever use that site?), and in the video Erin tells her suitor that she likes Rip Slyme. It made total sense that you would have similar taste to an imaginary 15 year old Japanese girl :P

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Rakim
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:47 am

No I've never heard of that site, but that's funny. This calls for volume 2 of let's school mue in J-Rap!

Rhymester. This is another really big group. The 2 main members and MCs are Utamaru and Mummy-D. Their early era stuff is pure hip hop at its best. Recently they have experimented with a lot of different sounds and are releasing songs in all kinds of sub-genres and pop variations of hip hop. Also, being the rap 大御所 that they are they've collaborated with a lot of the people that I mentioned before.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

This song is hilarious right here. Literally all about being manly and grabbing your balls:
phpBB [video]

These mofos are prolific as hell so if you dig this you got a lot of material to go through.

m-flo. One of the reasons I got into Japanese music in the first place when I randomly saw one of their videos on TV. They started off as a trio of an MC, a DJ and a female singer and did mostly conscious backpack type stuff. Then the singer quit and they carried on for 3 more albums collaborating with various popular acts of the time to fill in the singing void. Its more overtly pop, but its some of the best stuff you can get. All of the members speak English fluently so you will hear a lot of bilingual code-switching flows and shit. Verbal, the MC, has worked with a lot of western people like Pharrell and Kanye(who jacks a lot of fashion ideas from Verbal).

Early era: videos:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

2nd era:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sorry for the overdose of videos, but I really like m-flo. I couldn't help myself.

Shakkazombie. I don't have a lot to say about them except Big O(he's the fat one) has a a hype ass rap voice and they're dope. Oh yeah they did a song that was featured in Cowboy Bebop, but its appearance is pretty obscure.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Cowboy Bebop song:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I was gonna post some nujabes, but I feel like you probably already know about him.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Nice. As enlightening as ever, Rakim.

I've also stumbled across these Japanese Hip Hop mixes today.

phpBB [video]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Nahovil » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi guys, let me chip in.

Rakim wrote:I was gonna post some nujabes, but I feel like you probably already know about him.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Just in case.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Nahovil » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Jazz. The japanese get it.

Soil & "Pimp" Sessions

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Nahovil has received a thanks from: OL
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nahovil » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 am

As mue 26 posted, the eclectic (Nozaki Ryota) jazztronik:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Nahovil has received a thanks from: mue 26
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Smooth. Let's get some more smooth lite Jazzy tunes up in here.

phpBB [video]

" COME LOOK INTO MY TIGER EYES"

Feel good vibes fam.

This tune is so potent I originally put [tiger] [/tiger] instead of [video][/video] before this edit. lol.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: OL
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Nahovil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 pm

mue 26 wrote:Smooth. Let's get some more smooth lite Jazzy tunes up in here.

More jazztronik

phpBB [video]

and

phpBB [video]
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DockeN » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 am

Always liked this song. Has an awesome groove to it.

phpBB [video]

and this one gives me chills. This chick's voice is amazing.

phpBB [video]
DockeN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 am

So much frickin' energy. Love this one. Fantastic vocal melody, the bass is heavy as hell, and it's got just the right level of electronic mixing. Track couldn't be better.
Wish I could make stuff like this.

phpBB [video]

EDIT:
mue 26 wrote: Smooth. Let's get some more smooth lite Jazzy tunes up in here.

phpBB [video]

Totally late on this, but just wanted to say that backing music is great. Reminds me of the kind of electronic acid jazz grooves found in Ridge Racer Type 4, which is nothing but a good thing. Not too keen on the vocals though. Kinda wish there was a music-only version. It'd be amazing driving music.

OL has received a thanks from: DockeN
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby DockeN » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm

^ that song was awesome

** Proud to say, I just bought my first album because of a suggestion on a forum!! Girugamesh - Monster.

Thanks man

DockeN has received a thanks from: OL
DockeN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:08 pm

One of my favorite Japanese singers.

phpBB [video]
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster