Scotland?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Scotland?

Postby Rakim » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Today, I think, the Scots are gonna vote whether or not they want independence. Whats your opinion? UK people?

As an American I personally don't feel like I have any good reason to lean either way, but its fun following this anyway.

phpBB [video]
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Scotland?

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:10 pm

I'll be glad when this is all over, kinda sick of hearing about it, by this point. My father is actually Scottish and he don't give a fuck about it either way.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonikku » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Vote YES for free Scotch!! \:D/
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:06 pm

All my coworker teachers today want me to speak in a scottish accent to them.. so I keep reciting lines from Braveheart when mel gibson is rallying the troops before war.
Now they are all Yes voters.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:22 am

All over bar the shouting. Scotland voted no. All business as usual, nothing to see here.

Rather they had a go instead of the north of Ireland. This place is a disaster even as part of the UK. If we left... This place would crash into chaos at a rapid pace.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm pretty glad Scotland voted no, as I think that them leaving would have only made things worse for the rest of us, but I'm glad that so many people did vote yes and got their voice heard. This way the government has still been shamed and the people have made their dissatisfaction with the current system very apparent, so this could hopefully facilitate some change. Win-win.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Peter wrote: All over bar the shouting. Scotland voted no. All business as usual, nothing to see here.

Rather they had a go instead of the north of Ireland. This place is a disaster even as part of the UK. If we left... This place would crash into chaos at a rapid pace.

It's kinda surreal thinking that only 16 years ago the place was still considered a conflict zone. Then again seeing some of the rioting that has been happening since and the amount of hidden weapons, explosives and trained militiamen still there it's amazing there has been no major incident since.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 pm

I was a Yes, so was pretty gutted. :sad:

I'm not entirely sure it would have been "better", but the chance to actually find out for ourselves, out from under the thumb of Westminster, would have been a risk worth taking, IMO. Especially since we would have been in control of a huge reserve of oil (over and above the depleted fields we're currently working).

The fact that so many people believed the "No" campaign's lies (like, about 3 weeks before the referendum, headlines were full of "Establishment says if you vote NO, we're gonna make life harder for the Scots" type stories. Then they start being nice, and people ACTUALLY BELIEVED them. Then we went and voted no, and within hours the establishment had basically admitted they were lying just to get us to vote no. I was staggered at how many mouth-breathers in my country went along with it. And how they refused to admit they were wrong. When the shit does start to hit the fan and Westminster continues to take the absolute piss out of us, I'm gonna have a whale of a time with the told-you-so lines... :evil:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Jibby » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I had a bet with my friend and won £10. But that's not the reason I voted as I did.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby lavrentis » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 am

The Scots just don't realise how much of a good deal they get compared to the English
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 pm

lavrentis wrote: The Scots just don't realise how much of a good deal they get compared to the English

See, if a Yes went through, it'd have been better for the English politics as well, since they'd no longer have the ever-awkward few MPs there who are usually only gonna vote for what is best for Scotland...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:59 pm

As someone who spends a lot of time in both England and Scotland the Scots don't really have it better and the few things they do have better like free education and prescriptions come from previous devolution. Also even though I didn't want the UK to break up I was appalled at how bitter a lot of English people were about the vote.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am

south carmain wrote: As someone who spends a lot of time in both England and Scotland the Scots don't really have it better and the few things they do have better like free education and prescriptions come from previous devolution. Also even though I didn't want the UK to break up I was appalled at how bitter a lot of English people were about the vote.

To be fair, the bitterness of us scorned "Yes" people is pretty outrageous too. Despite the fact my post up there obviously turned into a bit of a rant, I did just accept it straight away with some disappointed feelings. But it's *nothing* compared to the bitterness I see on FB.

I didn't really get why the English were so pissed off about it, apart from some of them taking it personally and thinking we wanted to be independent just to be separated from the English people a bit more. That wasn't really at the front of most people's minds when voting though (though some of the mouth-breathers from around here probably did). I was actually a No to start off with, but when I finally got my head around the fact that this vote was about a lot more than voting for Alex Salmond, I ended up as a Yes...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 am

I agree that those who voted yes because they watched braveheart one too many times was silly.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Return to Off Topic