Halloween 2014

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Halloween 2014

Postby Rakim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 am

What kind of stuff are you guys doing to get in the spooky mood?

I probably won't do any real "celebrating" but I'm gonna be popping in some seasonal movies over the next few weeks. And maybe a survival horror game or two.

I've got Hocus Pocus lined up for today, but I'll probably get to some scarier stuff as we near the actual day. Any recommendations for movies? I enjoy both the light hearted and the slightly heavier stuff.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Halloween 2014

Postby Peter » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:56 am

Hocus Pocus and Halloween on DVD but I think I will be working so won't be designing any costume.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Rakim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:21 am

Finished watching Hocus Pocus earlier. I forgot about that Vinessa Shaw. She was really cute. Very nice yabos.

Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:03 pm

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Sonikku
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Rakim wrote: Finished watching Hocus Pocus earlier. I forgot about that Vinessa Shaw. She was really cute. Very nice yabos.

Oh hell yea, but I don't think she got better with age though. But when I was younger there's no way I could watch Hocus Pocus with anyone since Vinessa would have given me a proper rock on in about 2 seconds. She was just smashing in that movie.

This may sound like the craziest thing ever, but I always watch Neil Diamonds The Jazz Singer because it reminds me of Halloween. I have no idea why. It's mental.

Peter has received a thanks from: Rakim
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Halloween gaming marathon - already completed Dino Crisis and Haunting Ground. Next up will be Fatal Frame, maybe try and finally finish Forbidden Siren 2 this time around too - haven't really decided yet between those, will try to complete both of them, at least until The Evil Within arrives, that is.

I'm also currently rewatching Twin Peaks due to the news that it's coming back added to the fact that it's got some pretty strong horror in there, will also be rewatching some horror film favourites like The Shining, Jacob's Ladder, Alien, Suspiria, Inferno, Deep Red (this is my favourite Argento film), The Thing, Prince of Darkness and of course, Halloween.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Never really have celebrated Halloween to be honest. I'm sure I'll watch some scary film on TV that night. Since there's a few young kids in my area we've bought a bag of sweets for trick or treaters.. Meh :dunno:
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm only planning to watch Kwaidan at some point in the next couple weeks. Other than that, no actual plans. Although I may stick some Kiyoshi Kurosawa flicks in there too.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 pm

My sister is working at a haunted house this year (Pirates of Emerson) and she can get me a free ticket, so I may go to that.

I'll try to get around to playing a few of the horror games in my backlog (Call of Cthulu, Amnesia, maybe I'll buy 5 Nights at Freddy's if it's on sale).

Henry's post also reminded me that I need to finish watching Twin Peaks. I stopped around the time they found out who the main killer was, right before the sort of crappy stage of season 2.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Sonikku » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 am

It's interesting how Hocus Pocus has become such a phenomenon and staple of Halloween considering it's been critically panned by most critics. Yet, everyone I know has seen it. I remember seeing it in theaters when it came out decades ago.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 am

Probably nobody here remembers this TV special but I have fond memories of renting the VHS from a family owned car stereo business in the late 80s that also had a few VHS tapes to rent. I loved it. And it's finally available on DVD at Amazon. So I'll be watching this on Halloween. As well as Nightmare Before Christmas.

elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 am

Today's movie was Blacula. Better than I expected. Really funny.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Never really celebrate Halloween. I normally get about 1 or 2 knocks on the door from kids trick or treating but that's about it. No one puts up decorations like them seem to in the US and no one has Halloween parties, it's very much a non event for anyone over the age of about 12. From what I understand kids only started trick or treating in the UK about 20 years ago so it's not this huge tradition like across the pond. I went shopping the other day and they had more Christmas stuff on shelves than Halloween things. Maybe give it a few more decades and us English will pull our fingers out and make it more of an event.

Can't say I play or watch certain things just because it's Halloween but winter does put me in the mood for certain things.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby NewMyles » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:24 pm

^Nice.

I took my son out for a couple hours. It's a pretty big event in Canada. I dressed up as a construction worker from hell, and he was a robot skeleton.
NewMyles
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Return to Off Topic