Terminator Genisys

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Terminator Genisys

Postby redline » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:44 am

the new Terminator Genisys trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Terminator Genisys

Postby Peter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I just messaged my friend about this. Very interested in this. It's got Daynerys Targaryan, Doctor Who and a T1000. What could go wrong.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonikku » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Wait a minute, that's not how you spell Genesis! I've played enough Sega to know. [-X

Film is dead to me.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Peter wrote:What could go wrong.

Unnecessary retconning comes to mind.
Terminator hasn't been good since T2. Seems to me like it's going to stay that way.
They ought to just leave it alone. It's really not like they're doing anything new. It's the same plot as half of the movies they've already done, except with worse cg and a really dumb title.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Could say the same thing about all of the other movie revivals lately (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Godzilla etc), but I agree regardless, this series best days are long gone. At this point, I feel similarly about Fox Studio's other properties too like Alien and Die Hard, the last entry in both of those series were straight up awful.

Unless James Cameron goes back to Terminator, they just aren't worth the time and since he pretty much went out of his way to end this "franchise" with T2, as best as he could, Fox still found some way of making more of them.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:06 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Could say the same thing about all of the other movie revivals lately (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Godzilla etc)...

Eh, not sure I agree necessarily...
With Star Wars, we're finally getting what's going to be considered the official "canon" continuation from Return of the Jedi, and that's pretty big in itself. It's still basically going to be fan fiction, but I wouldn't say it's going to be the same thing all over again (at least, can't say that yet).
Jurassic Park may be the same basic idea, but it's doing what Hollywood loves to do these days: kicking shit up a few dozen notches. The idea of dinosaurs escaping and wreaking havoc is the same, but the scale seems a good deal bigger. And of course, the subject matter allows for plenty of new dinosaurs to throw on screen. There's plenty in that milieu, so to speak, that we haven't actually seen before, so there's lots of potential for new stuff.
I haven't seen it yet, but Godzilla is one of those cases where our technology now is far more powerful than it was when the classic were made, so the simple act of rendering the character with super-spiffy realistic visuals and an increased sense of scale makes for a new experience entirely.
In all of those cases, I totally get why they'd revive the franchises.
But Terminator just isn't like that. They're literally telling the same story: post-apocalyptic guy goes back in time to save someone from a robot that's also been sent back in time. Hell, it's not even a new robot; it's a different actor, but it's still just another T1000. In a cop disguise. Again.
They couldn't spring for a new design at least? Making him Asian doesn't count.
Obviously they're trying to make the action look bigger, but it all just strikes me as terribly uninteresting. The others you mention have at least some potential for excitement.
And I just have to say it: the way they force in the lines "come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" is just utterly cringe-worthy. It's like they're just parodying themselves by this point.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:33 am

Personally i wish hollywood would stop making so many reboots. I can understand from a business perspective seeing that it's safer to use a franchise that has already made a name for itself but recently it's gotten out of hand. Hollywood needs some new blood.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:44 am

It looks okay. Only thing I like about it is Arnold.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Return to Off Topic