Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Full SPOILER discussion inside.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer #2

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:32 am

Does anyone have the original original VHS tapes?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:54 am

I dont, all I have is the 1995 THX re-releases. As far as I know these versions were never released again (the original cuts before all the added special edition content and then later greedo shooting first and all that bullshit) I would love to own the original versions on blu ray, maybe disney will have the power to do that at some point?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Does anyone have the original original VHS tapes?

I thought I had them when I bought the latest blu ray re-release bundle, but to my ignorance and disappointment a big nope. Though I'm still glad I could buy the original trilogy without episodes I-III. I'm not pretending that they never existed, but I rather see the new ones bundled separately from the classic.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:19 pm

I have the original VHS tapes, though they do me no good. Even the DVD's look poor to my eyes now compared to the HD release and the DVD's looked positively phenomenal for the time. To go back to the 80's tapes would be a level of Star Wars love not even I could muster. Though I suppose I could tolerate the Laserdisc if my family had had the luxury of one back in they day. Had I been born a decade or so sooner I would have been all over that format.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 pm

You can get fan "despecialized" (aka theatrical) versions of the films in HD online. They're very nice. I don't feel bad about "obtaining" these films because I already own them in older formats and I'd willingly pay for them in HD if they were made available. Plus I feel as if George Lucas, and anyone else involved, has a responsibility to preserve the films in their original form, and they have failed in doing so, so I don't care.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Are you looking at this from a hollywood workers perspective? I feel like thats whats going on here. I mean thats fine, its not like I dont understand some of what you are saying, and why you are saying those things, but im just coming from a fans perspective that had star wars as one of the first things I remember as a kid, and just as a general in depth movie goer that likes to try to understand what each film is bringing to the table, thats the fun of watching film to me.

Nah, I'm coming from a fan's perspective too and honestly would be bitching just as much even if I wasn't trying actively have a career in entertainment. I'm just more specific articulating my disdain or approval because I've written so much and am able to dissect narrative like a finely cut...I don't know. Chicken? Roast? It probably sounds pretentious but it's true.

I'm more for making something along the lines of a lifechanging experience (which is what the OT was to alot of people) instead of just passive mindless entertainment. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but I want more from my entertainment because that's what inspires people to inspire other people. It's the stuff fandoms and general escapism comes from. So I'm gonna be very militant about it.

And I had the OT on VHS too but it got washed away in a flood. :cry:

Fortunately, I have the laserdisc rips. Disney needs to work with Fox to make a remastered unaltered trilogy but at this point, the 35mm footage is probably deteriorated to shit by now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Yall think I'll understand this film without watching any of the other SW films?

Or should i go and pick up the Bluray of the other films and marathon em?
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Rakim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Yes and you must watch them in Machete Order.

Video for reference:
phpBB [video]

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Rakim wrote: Yes and you must watch them in Machete Order.

Video for reference:
phpBB [video]

so 45236? Hmm... wow ok lol.

edit: i think he spoiled something there tho :/
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 am

You probably won't need to watch the prequel trilogy at all. Probably good to watch 4 5 and 6, but also probably not necessary. Just go watch the new movie if it interests you.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 am

Thief wrote: You probably won't need to watch the prequel trilogy at all. Probably good to watch 4 5 and 6, but also probably not necessary. Just go watch the new movie if it interests you.

Well i wouldn't mind picking 456 since i saw the blurays on walmart of just those and is cheaper just getting 456. :D
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 am

Rakim wrote: Yes and you must watch them in Machete Order.

Video for reference:
phpBB [video]

That's... wow, that's actually a really good idea. I didn't think anything would ever get me to watch any of the prequels ever again, but something like that might be fun. Especially since it in no way involves Episode 1.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:16 pm

I have a tendency to be dumb and spout my dumb elitist opinions like some sort of media-lamewad. I don't know shit, things are not great because I like them or not, and whatever-the-fuck. I'm just another idiot who likes the things he likes.

Anyway, for some reason this video really touched me. We all have things we love and it's sad to see them end. I still cry everytime I watch the episode (two hundred something) of Pokémon where Misty and Brock leave. I thought their relationship was the cutest thing ever, and I liked their adventures, and I still do. The original voice cast of Pokémon is one of my favorite things ever, but the voice actors are gone, replaced with "sound-alikes", the characters are replaced, and all charm is seemingly gone forever. I have to move on because the show isn't what it used to be.

phpBB [video]

We all care about things and it's sad to see them go. I may be acting a little sappy, but it's ok. Sap is fine.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby punkmanced » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:52 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
Thief wrote: You probably won't need to watch the prequel trilogy at all. Probably good to watch 4 5 and 6, but also probably not necessary. Just go watch the new movie if it interests you.

Well i wouldn't mind picking 456 since i saw the blurays on walmart of just those and is cheaper just getting 456. :D

You need to watch 4-6 before watching Episode 7.

Ditch all the prequels for now.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:08 am

phpBB [video]
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext