Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Full SPOILER discussion inside.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer #2

Postby Raithos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 pm

It does actually, you said "despite having nothing to do with its creators" when these books were licensed by the creator of the IP. Not some Gang Edition fan project on the internet, that was not licensed by Yu. Two clearly different scenarios.

But I will drop it, as this discussion ultimately has no point. Not only is it something done and over with that we can't change, I see now you never made a comment in this thread until Three Blades did. Seeing your reaction to his post, I think you let your aggression/frustration from the feminism thread spill over into this one. That's never good. Plus, I think most of us will see the movie regardless of what we think of the books lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Sorry, maybe I wasnt clear, I was trying to explain that there are other books that have come out that were not part of the Extended Universe, and that fans should be used to hearing different ideas and potential story directions, and if at nothing else they could look at the new movie as just that.

Also want to say what about the casual fans? Sure all this is very significant for the people that read many of these books and know additional information but most people I would imagine have just watched the movies, and majority rules does it not? Im sure Lucasfilm and Disney are aware of this and they took the most sensible course of action to please majority of star wars fans.

and I did read a few of the books, although im not sure which ones, there was one particular trilogy Ihad but I dont think i read them all, plus the short story/childrens book Glove of Darth Vader (which I still have some where). I also remember having one of the Rogue Squadron books.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Three Blades » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:35 pm

The books were not fan fictions, they were created as the official continuation of the Star Wars saga, and marketed as such. Many of the major plot points in the series had to be approved by Lucas himself, and some of them were vetoed by him as well.

If anything, the stuff that was there first counts more as canon.
What happened is basically like, if a rich guy (Disney) pruchased the rights to the Shenmue license, and made a Shenmue 3 where Ryo gives up on his quest and goes on a vacation to Hawaii. And since that rich guy now owns the legal rights to Shenmue, he now claims that his new version is the true canon.
If that happened, the outcry from Shenmue fans would be HUGE.

Im sure Lucasfilm and Disney are aware of this and they took the most sensible course of action to please majority of star wars fans.

But the easy way to please EVERYBODY was to make the movies take place in the book timeline. There is this misconception that casual fans would have suddenly needed to read all the books just to understand the movies- this is false. They could have written the movie in a way that no prior knowledge is required, and introduced the existing characters to new audiences through the new movies.

I mean, by that logic, casual fans wouldn't even be able to watch TFA without reading books like "Aftermath", which is part of the new continuity (and sucks btw). People say, "fans don't wanna have to read books just to enjoy the movies", yet Disney is creating the exact same situation with their new books.

It's not a reboot, it's a continuation.

It also reboots 30+ years of post-Endor continuation (100 by including the Legacy comics). It doesn't reboot EVERYTHING, but it reboots the timeline back to the year 4 ABY.

This is like, if Shenmue III the Gang Edition was considered canon to the Shenmue universe despite having nothing to do with the original creators, and then Shenmue III gets announced, and Yu is like,"yeah, any media related to Shenmue III besides the official Shenmue III is totally not canon and we are not going to pay attention to them or consider them as a part of our universe. That should be obvious but..."

No, it's nothing like that. Also, you're creepy and gross, stop stalking me, freak.
Last edited by Three Blades on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Raithos wrote: Thief, the trilogy you read were some of the worse books in the EU, to me anyway. Fate of the Jedi, Legacy of the Jedi and several other short series and one offs were actually very well written. Not all are "fantasy trash novels." There are some, that many fans agree, are better than the movies.

I had heard that those were the "best" ones so that's why I read them, so yeah I admit, I had assumed that most of them were just kinda bad based on what I'd read and what I'd heard. So maybe you're right and some books are the better than the movies -- I'm willing to admit the possibility even if i'm skeptical to believe it to be true. Honestly though, I'm not curious enough to actually bother reading them so I guess I'll never know.

About them being Fan-Fiction -- they are. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, a fan is fully capable of writing good fiction within an already established universe, but the Star Wars books are written by fans of Star Wars. It makes no difference whether or not it's been given the artificial title of "official".

Regardless, I think people both take fiction way too seriously (I'm one of them at times) and pay way to much to established "canon" as if it really means anything. No fictional event ever occurs and neither does any fictional character ever actually exist -- they are stories, and who they are written by does not change the stories themselves from existing. The original creator of a character does not hold the "rights" to exclusively tell stories about said character -- I've always found that to be the most ridiculous thing ever (but many people will likely disagree with me). I don't believe people can take ownership of ideas or fictional things. All that matters is if the stories are well told (all levels: characters, prose, et cetera).

Mother 3 is a really interesting example of a game that insists that people stop taking fiction so seriously and just enjoy life -- I won't spoil the ending but if you've beaten the game it's likely you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Star Wars is just Star Wars. Enjoy what you get if it's something you find worth enjoying.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:10 pm

About them being Fan-Fiction -- they are.

Fine by me if you want to see it that way, but then so is the Disney version, there's no way around that (they didn't use GL's script, they threw it away and made their own). Sure, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you call it.
It still sucks that the original book series got cancelled by Disney, but I'll at least give the movie a watch, to see if it's better than the Disney books.

Three Blades has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah, even if I'm not a fan, I'm sorry to hear the line of fiction you were reading isn't going to continue. I think all of us Shenmue fans can relate to how that feels.

Thief has received 3 thanks from: OL, punkmanced, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 pm

There are definitely issues, im not saying there isnt, BUT going in with low expectations is probably the best way to approach this film since we still dont really know what we are getting or how good it will be. For me, the hype is there, and I can only hope its backed up. Initially, I wasnt crazy about the idea of an Ep. 7 at all then when I saw trailers and saw who was back on board and reprising their roles I felt I had no choice but to raise and eye brow. They should not have canceled the EU literature though, but I see why they did it, even though it was wrong. And yes it is fucked up they swooped in out of no where and said what you thought was canon is now not. Although TO ME if its not in film, or screen form, the original and accepted format for star wars, its more like official fan fiction, and should be taken with a grain of salt for situations just like this. Star Wars is a huge entertainment platform, meaning money and executives and people that have to make decisions about what direction it goes, thats just the nature of the business. Its a shame some of the hardcore fans that dedicated many years to unraveling these stories and characters had to have a negative experience. Plus they could change all this again in the future, perhaps at a time when its not such a sensitive matter.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Nahovil » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 am

I got my Star Wars interest mostly through KOTOR and KOTOR II. To anyone remotely interested in Star Wars, I'd say that's your safest bet.

Nahovil has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Sonikku
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Three Blades wrote:
This is like, if Shenmue III the Gang Edition was considered canon to the Shenmue universe despite having nothing to do with the original creators, and then Shenmue III gets announced, and Yu is like,"yeah, any media related to Shenmue III besides the official Shenmue III is totally not canon and we are not going to pay attention to them or consider them as a part of our universe. That should be obvious but..."

No, it's nothing like that. Also, you're creepy and gross, stop stalking me, freak.

There is no call for random personal attacks like that, Three Blades. So please stop it.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks Sonoshee.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Three Blades » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
There is no call for random personal attacks like that, Three Blades. So please stop it.

:rotflmao:
Actually, anyone who cares to actually read what happened can clearly see that he's the one stalking me, like a creepo freako, insulting me out of pure butthurt. He doesn't even understand how the SW canon used to function vs. how it functions now, so he is in no position to lecture me from a high horse. He just tried to wedge himself into the discussion solely to pick a fight.

Want me to stop? Easy solution: stop being a creapy freaky stalker.
He may have fooled some by going into sweet little "victim mode" once he gets a taste of his own medicine, but I don't buy it.
Want to stop being called a creepo? Stop following me to pick fight. Easy as pie. You do that, I'm more than happy to be on good terms with you if you can do that. Don't even reply to this, just stop. It was over already, you don't need to be ruining anymore threads. Just talk about Star Wars, but without acting like a know-it-all cunt, because it's clear that you don't know shit about it.
At least the others didn't act like butthurt c*nts and actually admitted they didn't know enough to make those statements.
Last edited by Three Blades on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Sonoshee, that comment was three days old. Why even respond to it? That's going to do nothing but start it up again, as you can see.

Peter addressed them both when he locked the feminism topic, no need for you to do it too.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Raithos wrote: Sonoshee, that comment was three days old. Why even respond to it? That's going to do nothing but start it up again, as you can see.

Peter addressed them both when he locked the feminism topic, no need for you to do it too.

I received a report and acted on it.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Your name being green honestly didn't register lol I just thought it was a nonsense late reply for no reason.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Raithos wrote: Sonoshee, that comment was three days old. Why even respond to it? That's going to do nothing but start it up again, as you can see.

I received a report and acted on it.

Then you could have taken a look at what the actual situation was. You're dealing with a crybaby who reports anyone who dares give him a taste of his own medicine. Or maybe, special snowflakes just get a free pass to start bullsh*t on this site, and we aren't allowed to call them on it. Can I apply for special protected status too? Ah, guess not, since I'm a straight white male.
Personally, I dont bother reporting, because I'm not a butthurt little p*ssy baby.

I just thought it was a nonsense late reply for no reason.

Green name or not, that's really what it was.

Now can we please get back to Star Wars.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic