Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Full SPOILER discussion inside.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer #2

Postby punkmanced » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Three Blades wrote:Now can we please get back to Star Wars.

So…are you going to give Episode VII a chance then?
That trailer did look pretty sweet. You know it to be true.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Three Blades wrote:
Then you could have taken a look at what the actual situation was. You're dealing with a crybaby who reports anyone who dares give him a taste of his own medicine.

The report didn't come from Himuro, just to straighten that out. If you feel he's trolling you, either contact a member of staff or turn the other cheek and ignore him. I wasn't singling you out personally, only dealing with the report at hand.

I understand now that Peter has already taken care of this so I'll leave it at that.

Now can we please get back to Star Wars.

By all means :)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Well I guess I'll go see it, yeah. I just can't get myself to be super hyped at the moment. I'll probably wait until late January for the movie theaters not to be too crowded :D
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby punkmanced » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah, you’d have to be a real masochist to go see it in Dec.

I’m definitely onboard that hype train, though.
Michael Arndt (replaced by original writer Larry Kasdan) and Rian Johnson- with those superfans attached, I’m sure the sequels are in solid hands.

The only points of concern:
-will Harrison Ford pull off a tired/grumpy performance?
-will we find the story genuinely satisfying?
-will the CGI scenes be soulless and boring?
-will the filmmakers throw in some unnecessary, PC BS? (e.g. Luke having a black son; Kylo Ren being secretly gay; Leia having a sex change…and calling herself Poe Dameron)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 am

We'll see if, for once, JJ can make a movie as good as his trailers.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:23 am

punkmanced wrote: Yeah, you’d have to be a real masochist to go see it in Dec.

I’m definitely onboard that hype train, though.
Michael Arndt (replaced by original writer Larry Kasdan) and Rian Johnson- with those superfans attached, I’m sure the sequels are in solid hands.

The only points of concern:
-will Harrison Ford pull off a tired/grumpy performance?
-will we find the story genuinely satisfying?
-will the CGI scenes be soulless and boring?
-will the filmmakers throw in some unnecessary, PC BS? (e.g. Luke having a black son; Kylo Ren being secretly gay; Leia having a sex change…and calling herself Poe Dameron)

I wouldn't be surprised if all those were true. The CGI scenes are cool and all, but they are not like shots of models being recorded on celluloid.

And superfans doing their dream project is a vomit fest. Kasdan is great not only because he wrote the last two OT sequels, but because he's largely a non-fan. He's a guy who respects the source material and is able to figure out ways to make it grow in the most non-biased way possible. He's not constantly trying to put in old things from the previous flicks only to jerk off to it--he's always trying to find NEW things that are appropriate to the series (at least that's to my understanding based on the work he did).

Those are the people who are needed in a mega-franchise like this one. Which is why I'm glad Joss Whedon is off the Avengers, his fanboyish shit got in the way of the bigger picture. Kevin Feige needs to take it easy too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby punkmanced » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:11 am

Disagree in this specific case, since Arndt and Johnson are interesting filmmakers in their own right who happen to be SW superfans. I find it also refreshing how they aren’t cut from the “traditional” Hollywood cloth, and are much closer to the indie scene than anything. That contrast may just be what the series needs after the bombastic prequels (which is ironic since Lucas himself wasn’t traditional…40 years ago…before losing his sh*t)

I’d actually be more worried about Kasdan, to be honest, since he hasn’t made a relevant film in years. He was present during the OT, true, but let’s face it….who wasn’t? SW always has been a massively collaborative effort. Lucas, Kurtz, Kasdan, Kershner. They made Empire Strike Back great. Kurtz and Kershner were then fired….and we ended up with Ewoks, Death Star 2, and sister Leia ;)

In any case…I’ve got my hopes [way] up. If anything, it would be the soulless 21st century CGI scenes, and forced PCness that would have me rolling my eyes.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:12 am

Will it really be that bad seeing it in December? I saw all of the prequel movies with relative ease when they came out.

Three Blades wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:He doesn't even understand how the SW canon used to function vs. how it functions now, so he is in no position to lecture me from a high horse. He just tried to wedge himself into the discussion solely to pick a fight.

Don't pretend I am the only person who told you were being silly by saying Disney "killed" Star Wars.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 am

^^Don't reply to him anymore. You're just inciting shit now. It's done.

Kenny wrote:And superfans doing their dream project is a vomit fest. Kasdan is great not only because he wrote the last two OT sequels, but because he's largely a non-fan. He's a guy who respects the source material and is able to figure out ways to make it grow in the most non-biased way possible. He's not constantly trying to put in old things from the previous flicks only to jerk off to it--he's always trying to find NEW things that are appropriate to the series (at least that's to my understanding based on the work he did).

Those are the people who are needed in a mega-franchise like this one. Which is why I'm glad Joss Whedon is off the Avengers, his fanboyish shit got in the way of the bigger picture. Kevin Feige needs to take it easy too.

I agree it shouldn't be the dominant attitude going into these projects (of which they're planning many), but I think this first movie would actually do well to feed off of nostalgia a bit. No problem there. This is, for all intents and purposes, a "reboot" after all; it might not be restarting the story, but it is intended to get the movie franchise back up and running (and to undo as much of the bad taste that Lucas left in peoples' mouths as possible). So starting off with a bit of a fanboy circle-jerk isn't the worst idea in the world, just so long as new, original things come out of it in further flicks, which I'm pretty confident will be the case.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:36 am

What's wrong with nostalgia given that the prequels were shit and embodied nothing in the spirit of Star Wars? For the first movie, it seems a pretty damn good idea after the prequels to instill that yes, this is Star Wars, and to recover any fan faith back in the films. Star Wars fans had to deal with a shitty romance story, remastered versionsthat ruined the films, Jar Jar Binks, and a prequel trilogy that didn't understand how or why Star Wars was popular in the first place, but somehow nostalgia is a bad thing? At this point nostalgia is needed to revive Star Wars.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:49 am

What's good about the trailer ?

It looks like shit to me, uninteresting as fuck.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Mr357 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:27 pm

phpBB [video]

Mr357 has received a thanks from: shredingskin
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Three Blades wrote:
It's not a reboot, it's a continuation.

It also reboots 30+ years of post-Endor continuation (100 by including the Legacy comics). It doesn't reboot EVERYTHING, but it reboots the timeline back to the year 4 ABY.

If it's not in the movies, it's not canon.

That unfortunately includes the prequels as well.

Himuro wrote: What's wrong with nostalgia given that the prequels were shit and embodied nothing in the spirit of Star Wars? For the first movie, it seems a pretty damn good idea after the prequels to instill that yes, this is Star Wars, and to recover any fan faith back in the films. Star Wars fans had to deal with a shitty romance story, remastered versionsthat ruined the films, Jar Jar Binks, and a prequel trilogy that didn't understand how or why Star Wars was popular in the first place, but somehow nostalgia is a bad thing? At this point nostalgia is needed to revive Star Wars.

You don't need excessive amounts of nostalgia.

You guys are confusing "put old characters in new situations" with "let's see the exact same shit from before and hear the exact same lines told maybe a bit differently". I'm afraid they will make another "Han shoots first" scene and rub it in excessively. Make yet another Death Star trench scene (ROTJ's climax was already a ripoff of ANH). Make a "Luke is someone's father" scene.

THAT'S the uninspired fanboy bullshit I want out of Star Wars. As annoying and unnecessary as Jar Jar was, you could at least admit he was different. Pod racing and taking the lightsaber fights up a notch. Storytelling was woefully shit, which they'll probably get right, but I'm afraid the tradeoff will be nauseating "turn to the audience winking" scenes.

I hope JJ and Kasdan had the sense to not do any of that. More JJ than Kasdan.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I haven't gotten "let's see the exact same shit from before and hear the exact same lines told maybe a bit differently" from these trailers at all. In fact, things look even more dire than in the last war. What are the same exact lines but told differently? You got that from a two minute trailer? How is the nostalgia excessive? There's definitely nostalgia, but it's a sequel to Star Wars trilogy. What are you expecting? That they not reference Darth Vader or something?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Trailers are not gonna show everything.

The two biggest things based off the trailers that they did show off that give me hope are characters exploring (or fighting in) an old, desolated star destroyer (fucking awesome) and the idea of the remaining imperial soldiers becoming mercenaries being led any other big baddie. Those are exciting prospects that can go a number of different ways.

What i'm talking about are my fears of what could potentially happen in either this film or any of the next two helmed by anyone who is a fanboy. I stated this quite clearly in my previous post. And what does referencing Darth Vader or not have anything to do what I said? It's impossible not to, Anakin is one of the most pivotal and important characters in the Star Wars saga. He deserves at least a mention. I'm talking about clearly avoidable things that I fear will not be avoidable due to fanboyish intentions.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic