Feminism

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Feminism

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Worldviews can change with experience, but I've never really seen anyone's worldview change from arguments. If I think the universe is chaotic, there's no way I'm going to convince you it's orderly. But life maybe change you, and argument rarely does. That doesn't mean it's not worth discussing, though.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Maybe if you were a little more respectful and focussed solely on the subject at hand without attacking others people would be more willing to listen to you. This image is a good place to start if you want people to take you more seriously.

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm

south carmain wrote: Lol since when can worldviews not be changed?

Stubborness is a sign of stupidity.

Change to what ? Not even feminists know what they want.

Some are against prostitution, some want more rights, some want to be treated as equal, some say "he for she" is empowering, some say it's patronizing. Some hate bisexuals, some don't, some just care about "regular" gays, some want meritocracy, some say meritocracy is a lie, some want to censor, some want more outlets, some people dismiss sexual dimorphism, some think that everything is a construct, some people talk about cultural appropiation, some about cultural exchange, etc. etc. etc.

There are hundreds of examples, and people talk like "truth" is a real thing, like morality is something that is unmovable.

We still don't know how to handle individualism and society, and societies with mankind.
Last edited by shredingskin on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm not even a feminist.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OmegaDawn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:07 pm

OmegaDawn wrote:
Himuro wrote: Worldviews can change with experience, but I've never really seen anyone's worldview change from arguments. If I think the universe is chaotic, there's no way I'm going to convince you it's orderly. But life maybe change you, and argument rarely does. That doesn't mean it's not worth discussing, though.

Nah. It depends (on the argumentation). If you have some physics proficiency, you can add some well-sourced facts to your argument. How do you think scientists are spending their days? Evidence based arguments matter and not baseless de facto assertions.

We're not arguing science though.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Socratic debates don't exist anymore.

Now everything is reduced to mass appeal. And everyone thinks they're in the right.

Always talking about social topics.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:08 pm

shredingskin wrote:
south carmain wrote: Lol since when can worldviews not be changed?

Stubborness is a sign of stupidity.

Change to what ? Not even feminists know what they want.

Some are against prostitution, some want more rights, some want to be treated as equal, some say "he for she" is empowering, some say it's patronizing. Some hate bisexuals, some don't, some just care about "regular" gays, some want meritocracy, some say meritocracy is a lie, some want to censor, some want more outlets, some people dismiss sexual dimorphism, some think that everything is a construct, some people talk about cultural appropiation, some about cultural exchange, etc. etc. etc.

There are hundreds of examples, and people talk like "truth" is a real thing, like morality is something that is unmovable.

We still don't know how to handle individualism and society, and societies with mankind.

I don't know what you're trying to prove to me with that post. I was merely stating the fact that worldviews can be changed through debate which is a pretty neutral statement in itself.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 pm

It's just a question, and what does actually mean "worldviews".

What, and why should change ? etc.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:10 pm

south carmain wrote: Maybe if you were a little more respectful and focussed solely on the subject at hand without attacking others people would be more willing to listen to you. This image is a good place to start if you want people to take you more seriously.

A lot of the original arguments put forth in this very thread are disrespectful and many didn't focus solely on the subject matter at all. If you want me to do this respectfully, we're gonna have to start this thread over. But I'll humor you. I'll present my positions respectfully from here on out. What do you want to argue? But if we do this, then that means no one is going to be throwing out silly "SJW" ad hominems. I don't even like Tumblr!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Call the PC police, they come with a waaambulance.
Last edited by shredingskin on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't recall saying you were the sole culprit however you were the one who said that people's views don't change through debate that is why I gave you that advice. Wherever you want to follow it or not it's up to you but if you present valid arguments they will be lost in your opposition's eyes within the ad hominems and constant appeals to emotion.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:16 pm

south carmain wrote: I don't recall saying you were the sole culprit however you were the one who said that peoples views don't change through debate that is why I gave you that advice. Wherever you want to follow it or not it's up to you but if you present valid arguments they will be lost in your opposition's eyes within the ad hominems and comstant appeals to emotion.

Okay, that's fair. I definitely wasn't the only one, for sure. I said some harsh stuff, and I apologize. It wasn't right of me to do that.

Shredingskin in particular is egregious. I think he thinks he's "offending" me or whatever but I just think he's dumb. :-k

Case in point:

shredingskin wrote: Call the PC police, they come with a waaambulance.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OmegaDawn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 pm

No one has directly belittled trans people, but Shredingskin's constant use of CIS in a sarcastic manner when it's not even related to the subject at hand, comes off as making fun of trans people. Definitely, for the most part, an extreme wing of trans people - likely located on the shit stain we know as Tumblr - but his constant reference towards comes off as plain dumb without adding anything to the discussion.

In any case, I didn't find anything in your post worth responding to. All the accusations made me largely gloss over your post. Your post was as inflammatory as any, and precisely what South Carmain was referring to. If you want me to address your post, do so in a far less biased manner. Using "white feminism" to you is comparable to Black Hitler - which is pure hyperbole. So pardon me if I'm not going to respond to your original hyperbolic post.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic