Warcraft

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Warcraft

Postby Bambi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:21 pm

YouTube Mirror!

I know this isn't something most of you will be interested in but I thought I'd share the leaked trailer footage before it gets pulled.

Edit: Broken link removed.
Last edited by Bambi on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Warcraft

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:09 am

360 degree flight through Azeroth "teaser".

phpBB [video]
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 am

Fuck! I thought I'd watch it later when I got home, but now it's gone. Any chance somebody could upload it on a torrent and spare the link?
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am

lol

That was shit.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am

How did you see it?? When I click the links, it says it's been removed. Was it really shit?
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:49 am

The YouTube mirror works. Basically, it looks like a ridiculously drawn-out TV ad for WoW. Orcs cross a desert, orc husband and pregnant orc wife have what is supposed to be a touching moment, orcs build structures, orc shaman stands in front of portal saying he wants souls not corpses, orcs run through portal.

Looks bland, boring, and unwatchable.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 am

F*ck, it's blocked in my country, that's why it didn't work. Tried with proxies and still didn't work.
Ah well. I'll take your word for it. Kinda sad though, I have very fond memories of Warcraft 2 and 3, and always wish there was a movie. I was never really interested in WoW though.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bambi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:41 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Basically, it looks like a ridiculously drawn-out TV ad for WoW.

It's definitely not that.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bambi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:45 pm

phpBB [video]
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Monkei » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:01 am

I don't know much about the games, but that trailer got me really interested in the movie. Looks pretty promising, most likely gonna see it. I just hope the CGI isn't too Hobbit-like and makes the whole thing feel unnatural.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Monkei wrote: I don't know much about the games, but that trailer got me really interested in the movie. Looks pretty promising, most likely gonna see it. I just hope the CGI isn't too Hobbit-like and makes the whole thing feel unnatural.

For the type of movie it is the ($100 million) budget isn't massive so I'm going to be reasonably forgiving if the CGI isn't the best. I haven't seen that last Hobbit film but I know people complain about the special effects and it had a much larger $250 million budget.

The most amazing thing about this film is that it's being directed by an actual fan of the franchise.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm

I think I would have liked it better if it was 100% cgi like the WoW cinimatics, or at the very least practical SFX with CGI being limited to backgrounds/inanimate objects like with the John Adams mini series. If humans and Orcs alike in the movie were computer generated they would still look like they "mesh" together. But putting characters out of a computer beside real life actors never seems to look quite right. At least, not unless you have an Avatar sized budget. At 100 mil I would have gone the animatronic/prosthetic route. A guy in a rubber suit is usually scarier than something generated out of a computer, but that's just me.

As for the content, I sort of wish it was chiefly told from the Horde's point of view. Hollywood is so been there done that with humans/dwarves and elves beating back legions of invading Orcs that I think it would have been an eye opener to have Orcs as the protagonists. Yet instead of seeing humans being evil and racist like Greymane and Garithos, I'm guessing the humans will all be heroic fighting against evil slobbering Orcs.

I suppose the trailer for what it's worth looks as though it will make at least a half hearted attempt at giving semi-valid reasons for the Orcs actions, what with needing a new home for their families after the destruction of Draenor. I hear the first script called for it to be purely Alliance heroes beating back the Orc bad guys, so it could have been worse. I just hope they show both sides sometimes being good, both sides sometimes being evil and several more somewhere in between.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Viewing this as someone who has never played any Warcraft game the trailer didn't do much for me. I came away from that trailer not really knowing what the film is about apart from it's in a magical land with Orcs. I'll still check it out when it's on TV or something as I loved Moon and thought Source Code was pretty good.

Last I heard WoW still has 7 million subs so I doubt it will have trouble making its money back.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Monkei » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Bambi wrote:
Monkei wrote: I don't know much about the games, but that trailer got me really interested in the movie. Looks pretty promising, most likely gonna see it. I just hope the CGI isn't too Hobbit-like and makes the whole thing feel unnatural.

For the type of movie it is the ($100 million) budget isn't massive so I'm going to be reasonably forgiving if the CGI isn't the best. I haven't seen that last Hobbit film but I know people complain about the special effects and it had a much larger $250 million budget.

The most amazing thing about this film is that it's being directed by an actual fan of the franchise.

I didn't mean bad CGI though. The CGI in the Hobbit movies wasn't bad either, I think. The problem is that it was too much, and it all looked too "CGI-ey" and "green screeney". Places looked less real, creatures less scary and so on. Especially in comparison with the LOTR films, which had a lot more practical effects, costumes, scenery etc. back then. It's the same problem the Star Wars prequel trilogy had (its many other problems aside of course).

It might be less of a problem with the Warcraft aesthetics, who knows. Maybe that just works better. Most people know Warcraft from the videogame anyway, so the CGI might not be that much of a problem there. It looked really good to me in the trailer anyway, I would have guessed a budget of at least $150 million from my first impression.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Sonikku wrote: I think I would have liked it better if it was 100% cgi like the WoW cinimatics

Me too. Blizzard animators are amazing and they wouldn't have to compromise of anything. Much smaller audience though.

Sonikku wrote: As for the content, I sort of wish it was chiefly told from the Horde's point of view. Hollywood is so been there done that with humans/dwarves and elves beating back legions of invading Orcs that I think it would have been an eye opener to have Orcs as the protagonists. Yet instead of seeing humans being evil and racist like Greymane and Garithos, I'm guessing the humans will all be heroic fighting against evil slobbering Orcs.

I suppose the trailer for what it's worth looks as though it will make at least a half hearted attempt at giving semi-valid reasons for the Orcs actions, what with needing a new home for their families after the destruction of Draenor. I hear the first script called for it to be purely Alliance heroes beating back the Orc bad guys, so it could have been worse. I just hope they show both sides sometimes being good, both sides sometimes being evil and several more somewhere in between.

Duncan Jones got the job by pitching the idea that it needs to be a 50/50 story, not just Alliance good, Horde bad so I'd put that concern to one side for a bit.

Riku Rose wrote: Viewing this as someone who has never played any Warcraft game the trailer didn't do much for me. I came away from that trailer not really knowing what the film is about apart from it's in a magical land with Orcs.

I can imagine that's how a lot of people will feel about it, hopefully the brand recognition is enough to get some people interested.

Riku Rose wrote: Viewing this as someone who has never played any Warcraft game the trailer didn't do much for me. I came away from that trailer not really knowing what the film is about apart from it's in a magical land with Orcs. I'll still check it out when it's on TV or something as I loved Moon and thought Source Code was pretty good.

Last I heard WoW still has 7 million subs so I doubt it will have trouble making its money back.

Monkei wrote: I didn't mean bad CGI though. The CGI in the Hobbit movies wasn't bad either, I think. The problem is that it was too much, and it all looked too "CGI-ey" and "green screeney". Places looked less real, creatures less scary and so on. Especially in comparison with the LOTR films, which had a lot more practical effects, costumes, scenery etc. back then. It's the same problem the Star Wars prequel trilogy had (its many other problems aside of course).

It might be less of a problem with the Warcraft aesthetics, who knows. Maybe that just works better. Most people know Warcraft from the videogame anyway, so the CGI might not be that much of a problem there. It looked really good to me in the trailer anyway, I would have guessed a budget of at least $150 million from my first impression.

I'd like to say I'm expecting this to be different but realistically there will be a shit ton of CGI and like Sonikku said it's tough to make that look natural against live action. That said I'll be happy if the only real complaint is the special effects.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Off Topic