Favorite movie scenes

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Favorite movie scenes

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Riku Rose wrote: ^It annoy's me that I don't like David Lynch films. I love Twin Peaks and always find David Lynch as someone fascinating to listen to but Eraserhead, Lost Highway and Mullholland Drive just bored me to death. I watched the first 5 minutes of Wild at Heart and realized I wasn't in the mood. I gave Inland Empire about 10 minutes and could tell I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm still excited as hell for the next season of Twin Peaks.

His stuff is for an acquired taste, for sure. I'll never get annoyed with anyone who doesn't like his work, since it's hard to get into. You either like it or you don't, there's no need to force yourself to. Wild at Heart and Elephant Man are films most seem to find fine though. The latter of those is just one of the most depressing films ever.

Another favourite scene in a film has to be this:

phpBB [video]

That's just a snippet. Just the entire sequence from when the T1000 infiltrates the hospital by shape shifting to Sarah's escape to the T800 (Arnold) knee capping the guard to him smashing through the hospital staff and Dr. Silberman's hilarious shock expression at the T1000 passing through the steel bars to the escape from the T1000's pursuit. This movie has so many amazing scenes, but the hospital escape is probably my favourite in the entire film (which is one of my all time favourites, action film, or otherwise). The entire scene just feels so organic and well shot and original, even today.

EDIT Ah, it has a shitty dub on that video, but eh, you get the point.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby shredingskin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: His stuff is for an acquired taste, for sure.

It's not actually. Twin Peaks was his form of doing a "series", you'll keep wondering,

His movies are the same he ever was, there's this...

And in that approach he made wonderfull stuff, it's not this "shock" thing, he wanted to make people wonder.

He's a child of duchamp, dadaism but also kubrik, and I think that "face value" it's the best way to play on their stuff.

Even if you don't think there's something there, even the imagery will struck you, and that's big stuff for a creator.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm

:-s
Maybe I'm just reading your post wrong, but I don't think you understood what he meant when he said "acquired taste." That doesn't mean Lynch's style has changed, it means it might take a while for a person to get used to his style.

Anyway, absolutely love everything about this movie, but this is a really interesting set up for the two main characters:

phpBB [video]

Aside from the fact that it's got some great dialogue and some really excellent performances going for it (Benicio del Toro is priceless in this scene :lol: ), I've also read analysis about it before saying that a few things in the movie imply, very subtly, that the two protagonists are actually gay, and that this scene is the crux of that argument. Ryan Philipe's reaction to the question, for example, and the way he goes off on a rant the way he does when the whole point of the interview is to make a good impression (which he clearly is not). It's like the question really strikes a nerve.
I'm not sure if I really buy into the whole argument myself (it could go either way), but it's a fascinating rabbit hole to jump down nonetheless.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 pm

^What the hell kinda of accent is Ryan Phillipe trying to do? That's so annoying.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Locke_cole » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:29 pm

phpBB [video]

Locke_cole has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Rakim wrote: ^What the hell kinda of accent is Ryan Phillipe trying to do? That's so annoying.

Believe it or not, I've always thought it was intentionally done to be kind of vague, kind of not-quite-placeable. It's sorta Boston, but obviously not exact. The two characters are never really given a backstory of any kind, aside from short mentions here and there of the bad shit they've done, so I always took details like that to have been done to just make them slightly more enigmatic. Call it annoying if you like, but it's still one of the absolute best crime flicks I've ever seen, so I'm not too bothered by it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:34 pm

I was actually thinking that maybe it was on purpose and would add more fuel to the him being gay debate you mentioned. Like he's putting on some persona of his image of a macho southie but we can see right through it cuz he's really a gay.

Rakim has received a thanks from: OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:50 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:04 am

phpBB [video]
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Chaos » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:48 am

Lost In Translation ending spoilers. If you haven't seen it, don't watch this and just go watch the movie. [-X

phpBB [video]

If it wasn't for the nostalgia Jurassic Park holds over me, this would be my favorite movie by far
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 am

OL wrote:Also, just a suggestion, but it might be nice if people actually explain why these scenes are some of their favorites, rather than just compiling a random list of videos. Words are good, yo.[/color]

Edited my post. Good suggestion. Also the other scene you posted. "Are you a faggot?" :rotflmao:

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: OL
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 am

Shawshank Redemption - Rooftop Scene

phpBB [video]

Child's Play - "Hello, Andy!" and Chucky's Death

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Rocky II - "Win!" and Final Round

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Terminator - Tech Noir Shootout

phpBB [video]

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - "Goodbye"

phpBB [video]

Oldboy - Final Hypnosis

phpBB [video]

Those are just a few off the top of my head. No doubt another five will pop in ten minutes after I post this :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Dojo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:19 am

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Shenmue_Dojo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative