Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

Postby Sonikku » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:11 pm

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dragon_ ... rection_f/

I was in the mood to see a movie and when I checked what was playing locally last night I was shocked to find my theater, the one that so usually only dabbles in the "mainstream" and leaves the more special interest films out in the cold actually had a single showing of the new DBZ flick Animegamer told me about months ago. :D I just had to see an anime flick in a theater once.

The theater was packed. Zero kids thankfully. They were all around my age. :lol: Tons of them were wearing their Dragon Ball shirts and hats. I was surprised to see how many other women were present. (although I suppose some of them may have simply been dragged along for the ride by their other half, ala 50 shades of gray) They even had a behind the scenes look with the voice actors before the film started, and a trivia game. I'm a tad embarrassed that I got all but one right myself. :oops:

I loved it. I always figured that if you grinded Dragonball into it's most entertaining parts and got rid of all the filler, you'd have a fun time and Resurrection F is proof of that. I'd also have to say it was better than "battle of the gods" in that Goku actually got a shred of development as a character. The animation techniques have definitely improved and the action was easily a cut above anything seen in the shows.

Seeing all of it on the big screen with excellent speakers was a hoot. Everyone was laughing and cheering the whole way through. :) There are tons of in jokes and references and fan service. Though I was mildly dismayed to find Regal was charging full 3D ticket price for a 2D picture, the experience was memorable and I'm glad i went. Recommended if you have it in your area.

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

Postby Three Blades » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:37 pm

I saw it on opening day back in April and it was better than I thought. Indeed much better than battle of gods, where the fight basically broke out because Majin Buu didn't want to share his pudding (stupid reason for a fight in a movie about the fate of the earth).
One thing though, is that I felt they missed a good opportunity by not having Trunks fight Freeza in this movie... If Trunks had been there, surely Freeza would have recognized him (despite the age) and it could have led to some interesting dialogue.
Still a great movie all-around though. Are you also watching the new show? It's surprisingly amazing as well. Good time to be a DB fan :)
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:06 am

I have, but it seems like a prequel to Battle of the gods. Last I saw the god of destruction confronted Goku on King Kai's planet though, which clashes with the movie. :-k

When you say you saw it back in April, do you mean like in Japanese?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Three Blades » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:15 am

Yeah, it came out on April 18th here.
I've missed the last 2 episodes of the show, but yeah, it seems to be retelling the events of the movies. But it's also way more fleshed out, and a little different. For instance, Bulma's birthday party took place on a boat instead of at her house.
Hopefully, they won't spend too much time re-telling the movies.
I really like the fact that they don't have a comic to follow, so they don't seem to be wasting time on filler-y material, or useless episodes where somebody spends 30 minutes charging their attack! There is no need to wait for the comics to catch up.
Time will tell, but so far I find it a really amazing show and much better than I expected.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:25 am

-
Last edited by danny on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Three Blades » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:12 am

I think this has to do with the dragon's limited power. I haven't read the comics in 15 years at least, but I seem to remember that there were things he couldn't do (for instance, I think they asked him to defeat one of the bad guys once and the dragon said he didn't have the power to do that.)
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:18 pm

danny wrote: Wait, they could easily have wished for world domination or "god-like superpowers" - omnipotency, but NOPE, they wished for Freezer to be alive.

Edit: They also could ask Shenron at the very beginning of the series to make the world like heaven with absolute no problems, simply a world without evil (is there a word for that too?).

That world would likely be obliterated because the big baddies don't originate from Earth, They come to it. (and Shenron couldn't do anything to kill the saiyans and basically any villain journeying to Earth. It's beyond his power) Which would be all the worse because less than cheerful characters like Vegeta and PIccolo wouldn't be in said heavenly Earth to defend it. As for "God like powers", Goku and lord Beerus are already God level. And in the film Frieza does as well.

Inversely, let's say they did make the perfect wish, it wasn't beyond the dragons power and it solved all the shows problems. Would you still watch it? Basically every piece of fiction ever made has plot holes. We suspend our disbelief because we want to be entertained.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Return to Off Topic