I deactivated my Facebook

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

I deactivated my Facebook

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi all,

many people here contact me usually on facebook. I didnt message everyone so I'll just post here that I shut my facebook off for a while.

This is partially due to Shenmue, as well as needing a break from Shenmue500K.

I'm available here via pm if I am needed.

/james
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: I deactivated my Facebook

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Damn I was hoping this was a topic where we could all vent about how terrible Facebook is and how we all hate it.

Riku Rose has received 3 thanks from: goaliefrk, Mr357, Yokosuka
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Damn I was hoping this was a topic where we could all vent about how terrible Facebook is and how we all hate it.

Well it has its ups and downs I guess, Mr Riku.

I use it for networking and talking to my family in Greece.

For some though, it destroys their interpersonal communications. Oh boy and dont get me started on data mining lol
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Karimov » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Damn I was hoping this was a topic where we could all vent about how terrible Facebook is and how we all hate it.

u could start here. i never had or will have facebook. i try to ignore its existance. i dont allow those things in my life. my last obstacle is my phone. im planning to sell it. it only hurts my eyes to go on internet. i even go toilet or before going bed. its not normal. privacy still exists. but u have to say goodbye to certain things and except it.
Karimov
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Elders scroll online

Postby Mr357 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Karimov wrote:

u could start here. i never had or will have facebook. i try to ignore its existance. i dont allow those things in my life. my last obstacle is my phone. im planning to sell it. it only hurts my eyes to go on internet. i even go toilet or before going bed. its not normal. privacy still exists. but u have to say goodbye to certain things and except it.

I'm not sure how seriously I'm supposed to take this post.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:49 pm

There's nothing wrong with Facebook itself, which is why I find it funny that people avoid having one as if it's going to suddenly make them socially inept. Just use it for its intended purpose and stay in touch with people. Don't blame Facebook because you don't have any self-control.

Of course, none of this is directed at you Shengoro, I'm just talking in general.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire, Yokosuka
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:11 pm

My only real issue with facebook is that it makes it too easy to see the most incredibly stupid reactionary shit. Well that and how they don't give a shit about selling your private info but that has got more to do with corporate practices rather than the website itself.

Nowadays I only use the messenger app.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Hah, I'm on FB more than I'm on here nowadays.

If there's anything bad about it, it's that it's such a time sucker.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Thief wrote:Of course, none of this is directed at you Shengoro, I'm just talking in general.

None taken, I actually respect you a lot thief :) I still remember the stuff you sent me for the photo contest :)

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Thief
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Thief wrote: There's nothing wrong with Facebook itself, which is why I find it funny that people avoid having one as if it's going to suddenly make them socially inept. Just use it for its intended purpose and stay in touch with people. Don't blame Facebook because you don't have any self-control.

Of course, none of this is directed at you Shengoro, I'm just talking in general.

Yep, facebook allowed me to meet up with some old friends that I had no idea were in the area. I rarely spend any time on facebook, but it is great for getting into contact with friends and family.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:14 am

I registered a Facebook account when I was in Universtiy due to peer pressure and I still have it. A lot of things concerning my courses and stuff would be posted by fellow students on FB back and I didn't wanna miss out on the information. I'm planning to delete it soon, though.

I mean if someone needs it to stay in touch with their friends, it's fine. Still, I manage to stay in touch with friends and family through phone, email, text messages, even letters and so on. Absolutely no need for FB.

Also I don't get this "FB helped me get back in touch with an old friend whom I hadn't met in 8 years" thing. If somebody doesn't bother to give you a phone call, write you an email or text message in years and you didn't do so either and you were fine in your life without that person why on earth would you bother to get in touch with them after such a long time?

And if you never had someone's phone number or email address or postal adress, well then you were never friends with that person. You might have been acquaintances at best, so why get back in touch?

That said, I think FB is ok. And about the data mining: FB can only get the data you feed it. So watch what you write in there and say in there, watch what pictures you feed it. Also, do you really have to give it your birthdate? Your employer? If you give it that information, don't complain about FB knowing too much about you.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby goaliefrk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Karimov wrote:

I'm not sure how seriously I'm supposed to take this post.

this made me lol
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Deleted my profile today. I don't have anything against Facebook per se, it's just I felt I have grown out of it. It's not really necessary for me anymore and it also tends to be quite a waste of time.

Now I'll have to wait for two weeks, till the deletion is final. Hope I won't sign in out of some stupid old habit because it seems signing in within 2 weeks would cancel the deletion.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:21 pm

It's apparently never truly deleted.

[/foil hat]

I agree with Thief, FB is just a communication app, a tool, it's how one uses the tool. I use it like nearly every other pleb, but there are a surprising amount of old folk retired in a foreign place keeping up with relatives through FB and other people using it for "decent" purposes too...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby csmakio » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:50 am

I got rid of my facebook in 2008, haven't looked back \:D/
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio
Favorite title: Shenmue

Next