What do people have in their physical anime collection?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

What do people have in their physical anime collection?

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:00 pm

People can post their DvDs or whatnot ofcourse, and anything as long as such is based on a anime/vice versa(meaning no manga, unless a anime for such exists)

Inuyasha(complete original series)

Inuyasha LE movie box set(aka wooden box)

Inuyasha movie 4

Inuyasha the Final Act(low quality over seas dub)

Inuyasha the Final Act part 1(VIZ dub)

Inuyasha the Final Act Part 2(VIZ dub. I'm really annoyed at VIZ, what BS no LE set, instead they rerelease the Final Act in a single case, while they them selves are still printing/selling their original two parter DvDs, wich the rerelease cost just as much as if you bought each part of the two parter set. Also no, there's no added extras or anything either)

Rurouni Kenshin(complete series)

Studio Ghibli 16 movie collection

Elemental Gelade LE box set+ the completed series

Hero Tales art box part 1
Hero Tales art box Part 2

Kaze no Stigma Part 1
Kaze no Stigma Part 2

Ark

Origin: Spirits of the Past

Chrome Shelled Regios complete series

Ragnarok the Animation Art box set(pretty sure this is the only way it was sold outside of Japan, and sadly is a pretty crappy anime, but if you're a fan of the MMO, It's still worth having)

Ragnarok Online DS game(Avoid this game, it sucks really bad, it use to be worth it even just for the promotional in game items you could redeem in the MMO, but that offer has expired)

Guin Saga complete series box set(Note: this has the greatest on disc extras, I have ever seen, multiple interviews with the author, going into deteail about the thought that went into creating the franchise, It's godly, even if you don't like the anime, which is pretty awesome btw, but unfinished, It's still worth owning just for that)

The Mysterious Cities of Gold(Deluxe Edition, if you like the series, the Deluxe Edition is very much worth owning)

The Mysterious Cities of Gold Season 2 complete season(British version. The was a big let down, while the original series is made with quality that trumps every other anime ever, undebatably so, Season 2 pretty much lacks almost all of such, so only buy if you're a bid fan of the original)

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight complete series(DvD art box set)

Legend of Crystania movie(avoid at all costs)
Legend of Crystania: The Chos Ring(avoid at all costs)

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit art box set
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit Part 2 box set
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit Part 3 box set
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit Part 4 box set

Tsubasa Chronicle LE box set(aka season 1)
Tsubasa art box set(aka season 2)
the above two art part of the same release line, just Funimation decided to make a normal(yet very high quality) art bot set for season 2(probally because they couldn't sell many of the LE box set, since its retail price was 100 bucks, which is insane considering It's a LE box set, with no packins)

Kingdom Season 1 subbed(Malaysion release, and It's the only was to get a subbed version on DvDs, but It's not a rip or anything of the Funimation streaming version, it was resubbed from scratch)

The Twelve Kingdoms Premium Collection 1(omg Premium is right, this has got to be the nicest box set ever made)
The Twelve Kingdoms Premium Collection 2(just like the above, worth every bit of the higher price such demands)

The Twelve Kingdoms OST(this is the worst hack job I have ever seen for a OST before, not only does it not have all the songs, yet has filler tracks, but the music was ripped right from the anime, a few of the tracks didn't even have the dialog of characters removed. Also if you just start of the OST the normal way, you're not allowed to scroll through the tracks, there's no list. You have to go to the drive under computer, and open it as a folder. What a big let down, to have one of the greatest anime ever made period, get such a butchered OST release)

The Legend of Condor Hero(Complete 1st season NA release)

Victorian Romance Emma season 1(Rightstuf exclusive LE box set)
Victorian Romance Emma season 2(Rightstuf exclusive LE box set)

Kemono no Souja erin complete series(same as with the Kingdom DvDs, only way to get DvDs that are subbed, and such was subbed from scratch)

Kemono no Souja erin LE Art Book(it als acts as a companion to the anime, and It's byfar the nicest art book for a anime, I have ever seen. Oddly enough, this is the most common Kemono no Souja item made, so if you like the anime, definitely pick this up)

Kemono no souja erin complete series Japanese DvDs, with both of the mail order only bonus art boxes(I can't believe I actually got a hold of this/that any even exist at all. I contacted a seller in Japan that only deals in rare/usually super obscure, and expensive anime box sets, yet even he didn't know such existed. He said such doesn't exist, he checked with all of his connections about it, and they didn't know either. He said he could sell me a compete set of DvDs though, which I okayed/bought. Then the next day he emails me back, saying he found a better set, so I say ok cool thanks

Now I'm thinking he just found a better condition set of DvDs or at most factory sealed. Needless to say I was rather surprised when I opened the shipping box to find two mint art boxes+completed set of DvDs. I email the seller back saying, wow how did you even get this. He's like I had no idea the DvDs for this anime alone was so super rare, and out of all of Japan, he was only able to find two complete sets of the DvDs its self, but it just so happens that one of the completed sets had these art boxes. Later on I found out where I must've got the notion that there were art boxes for the DvDs from. There's a mail order section in the LE art boox, with a very small picture of the offer for art box 1, if you order vol 7. no picture for DvD 12+art box 2 offer, but there was a description. Since there is no internet foot print at all for this thing, I took pictures of the two listing in the art book, and emailed him to let him know of my findings. He's like thanks a lot, I never knew of this at all or even that this series in general was so rare.

Basically someone had to know about the famous novel, haven't bought all the novels yet, but been meaning to do so. Then during 2010, they walk into a book store to buy the novel, which they would also see the LE art book right there, which was the only was anyone in Japan would even know the anime ever existed in general, IG never advertised it at all. Then they would find out the anime existed, but even then the likely hood of people shelling out the kind of cash DvDs cost in Japan, is beyond unlikely, only really die hard fans of a series would buy much more they 1-2 DvDs to a series)

Afterwards the seller in question got a hold of a Blu-ray box set(no where near as rare as the even the complete DvD set without mail order boxes, because the Blu-ray retailed only in a box set, where the DvDs retailed only as separate volumes(a whopping 12 volumes at that), but even so, that's very rare in of its self.

It's not a very huge collection, but I'm very much a quality of quantity anime viewer/collector, and I'm very picky on the anime I even watch, nevermind buy.

Well anyway, what do you guys have in your anime collections?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: What do people have in their physical anime collection?

Postby sand4fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:11 pm

It has been a long time since I watched one, but as far as collection goes I have a complete DVD/Blu-ray library of Hayao Miyazaki's works and a bunch of memorabilia. My fiancee and I simply adore the guy, and we even admire his political stance.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bambi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm

That's it these days.

Back in the day this was one of my favourite collections as well as my first real foray into anime.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Not that much really:

Think I might still have Gungrave lying around too. That series was a masterpiece. I'm not really into anime anymore and only really dabbled in it in the past too. I tend to favour the works of the past. Still not given Stand Alone Complex series a watch yet despite buying it forever ago...lol. Still have plenty of Kawajiri's and Satoshi Kon's works to check out yet, think theirs are the only anime I can muster enough of a crap about to go and buy. Other anime over the years i just watched online, but for masters like them, I tend to go out of my way for.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:33 am

To Bambi: Didn't realize there was a Guyver anime wow(not surprised the Japanese finally got around to making one though, since there is every other form of Guver out there for ages now).

How is the anime, I'm always looking for scifi that Isn't the dime a dozen mech anime or the dime a dozen space war thing?

To Henry Spencer: If you haven't seen these yet, I strongly suggest you check them out, because I'm sure you'll love them: Pandora Hearts, and Letter Bee.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:10 am

All I have is various Kimagure Orange Road stuff because it's one of my favorite things. Would like to have the show on DVD but the official ones are really expensive (like $500 to $1000) so I just have them ripped on my computer.

Everything else I keep on my hard drive-- much better for space.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bambi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Zoltor wrote: To Bambi: Didn't realize there was a Guyver anime wow(not surprised the Japanese finally got around to making one though, since there is every other form of Guver out there for ages now).

How is the anime, I'm always looking for scifi that Isn't the dime a dozen mech anime or the dime a dozen space war thing?

phpBB [video]

The series I posted is quite old, it ran from 1989 to 1992. I loved it when I was a kid but I'm not sure how good it is by today's standards.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Ok cool, thr only anime I found was called the same thing, and listed as a 2005 anime(which I found weird since you clearly have VHSs), must've been a reboot then(Edit: I did a search in the anime database, and found the original, yea has the same name. Damn I hate when anime do that).

Was this a anime network only thing, because I don't remember seeing this on TV back then(and a watched things such as Samurai Warriors, and The Mysterious Cities of Gold back then(not to mention Lupin the 3rd, and a lot of even more obscure western shows)?

I watched the first episode right now, and it definitely was a pretty good start(It's what we would expect from a anime based on the Guyver, for those who know the story), and the art style used, holds up much better then most anime back then. Give it a rewatch, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Thought I had a good pic of my anime, but all I could find was one with my Excel Saga collection (Thanks Ziming!) peeking in the corner.

Aside from that, A few volumes of Big O, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, 08MS team, Crest of the Stars and Scrapped Princess. Some of them I got for $3 at various Dollar Generals. Far better deal than the $30 they tend to expect for 3 episodes of anime at retail. :roll:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Tpgb12 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I'll take some pictures of my physical anime collection when I get around to it. I believe it's actually mostly Laserdiscs. I'm mostly into older anime.
Tpgb12
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Manic1231
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Gaiares

Return to Off Topic