Life and Death

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Life and Death

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:20 pm

What are your thoughts on the afterlife?

I haven't seen a topic like this so I am interested to see what you all think of when it comes to what happens when your time comes.

Please keep it clean.

I feel that life is a cycle, just like everything else in this multiverse.

Mathmatically, atoms and such rearrange into every combination at any given point due to quantum mechanics. So what's to say your "soul" isn't the same way?

Now I am not one to believe in any one religion but I do believe that we as humans can not understand divine creation.

Thoughts?
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Life and Death

Postby OmegaDawn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:34 pm

OmegaDawn wrote: is there any evidence that your consciousness will remain after death?

Nope! But there is also no evidence that it does not.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:03 pm

I imagine it will be the same as what you feel before you're born, nothing.

You just have to look at how small the earth is in our solar system and how small you as a person are on that earth to realise you really aren't anything substantial. When people just can't accept that death is the end it always comes across a little big headed, like they can't understand how the world can carry on without them.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Not sure what to think about the "afterlife" or what's coming next, if there's anything that is.

There was nothing we could feel "before" we're born. We only start to understand things once we get our conscience but no one can really tell where it's coming from and if its going to last in some kind of afterlife.

Just like Riku Rose pointed out, I guess we won't have any feelings, everything's going to be darkness. Now the question is (and that's the scary part of it) : is it going to last forever or will we come back again ? Like an infinite circle.

Darkness -> Born -> Conscience > Life > Death > Darness > ?

I don't really see that many options to be honest. It'll either last forever or something's going to happen.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby OmegaDawn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:21 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:33 pm

OmegaDawn wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: (...)
I don't really see that many options to be honest. It'll either last forever or something's going to happen.

Could it be that the exact same consciousness is created through the same coincidence that created the consciousness first?

Very good question. Since we don't know where the consciousness is coming from, it's hard to tell.

1) Nothing's going to happen, forever (hard to believe and that's the scariest scenario)
2) Somehow, we get the same consciousness after a certain period of time
3) Reborn with a different one, meaning our memories are erased and we start a new life

You could talk about reincarnation for case 2, but not sure what to think about this one.

There's a story about that kid who had memories from his past life, then again... it could be fake :

phpBB [video]
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:58 pm

I think its a pretty pointless debate. We cant know because we still live in the world of the living. I think the closest thing we have are testimonials from individuals who were declared dead and were revived, but even their stories dont fully put everything together. I can live with not knowing, and anticipate what will happen when that time comes, if anything at all. If my soul or essence or whatever is taken to some other plane or dimension with no vessel with others that are with out vessels, that would surely be interesting. If I die and wake up and in a Matrix style grid of endless other humans being farmed, that would be crazy and ironic and a nightmare come true. If I just cease to feel anything at all and stop being able to perceive and contribute to existence, then so be that possibility.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:04 pm

I will become one with the Force. [-o<

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Sonikku wrote: I will become one with the Force. [-o<

That is the only way!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:19 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I think its a pretty pointless debate. We cant know because we still live in the world of the living. I think the closest thing we have are testimonials from individuals who were declared dead and were revived, but even their stories dont fully put everything together.

I am one of these cases. However, I was only 4 years old. Fell 12 feet and broke my skull on a cement floor in my then unfinished basement staircase. Legit, I still have my own paperwork that has my own time of death on it. Scary shit.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby OmegaDawn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:46 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OmegaDawn

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:52 pm

OmegaDawn wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: (...) Since we don't know where the consciousness is coming from, it's hard to tell.

If consciousness is the deterministic biochemical reactions in the brain, then why could the same brain not created by coincidence in the future?
Parents(/AI researchers?) are consciousness creators. Thus the same consciousness (brain? AI bain?) could be created. Even if we evolve by time, I see no reason why the same consciousness created due to coincidence can't be, because it is the same in terms of 3 + 1 = 2 + 2 = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1. Different inputs (parents), equal outcomes (consciousness).

Or, imagine this: since due to coincidence in evolution we got smart, then why can't your exact same consciousness be in one of these animals: lions, zebras, tigers, elephants, apes... (once their brains got evolved enough)? Or maybe, a limited form of your brain/consciousness emerges in one of these animals?
That's hard to measure, and cannot be proven with the tools we have right now, but I wonder where the universe is heading, since we don't even absolutely know if there is such a thing as determinism or not.

"The idea is that, beyond the conditions and laws we can observe or deduce, there are also hidden factors or "hidden variables" that determine absolutely in which order photons reach the detector screen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determini ... al_physics

1) Nothing's going to happen, forever (hard to believe and that's the scariest scenario)
2) Somehow, we get the same consciousness after a certain period of time
3) Reborn with a different one, meaning our memories are erased and we start a new life

You could talk about reincarnation for case 2, but not sure what to think about this one.

For case 3, I see a possibility there, assuming that your brain is always in a different state as time goes by: what if this state is recreated by coincidence?
For case 1 and 2, maybe it is like a lottery, either the coincidence allows it or not. And assuming that there is such a thing as destiny and with my conclusions above, then I see no reason why another David can't exist in another future.

There's a story about that kid who had memories from his past life, then again... it could be fake : (...)

Hard to proof, definitely.

Maybe we'll find the answer in the future. As a human being I am having difficulties to trust that there's nothing but darkness once we die. But that's probably coming from the fact that I am afraid of death. But I tend to avoid thinking about it and live my life to the fullest. :mrgreen:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Post edited.

Fuck it. I was rambling about something that wasn't necessarily related to the topic. More religious than life and death specifically.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I imagine it will be the same as what you feel before you're born, nothing.

Pretty much.

Also I don't understand what people call consiousness. I guess we'll get to a better understanding when AI gets more intelligent than us.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Next

Return to Off Topic