Life and Death

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Life and Death

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:30 am

That's why I say the "god" word does not work that well.

To be honest (amida buddhism is the same stuff as christianism).

I think that there's a gap between asimilation and fight, between socrates's talk and "this moment" talk.

I don't think there's a "balance" but I think that we tend to share experiences that makes us wiser (and more close than we are now).

I think philosophers are REALLY ignorant, I think that we live in a dialectic world made to keep living. I don't think there's a mid point, and the mid point is fucking boring (and it's not realistic while millions of people are dying right now).

Fucking drunk, I fucking love it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Thief » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:35 am

Well, God does work well as a word, it's just that some people use the word God incorrectly. The word God does have a definition and isn't really up to much interpretation.

I couldn't really understand the rest of what you said though, I'm sorry.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 am

What's the meaning of the word god ?? Alpha omega ?? Creator ??

I get that I'm not a good narrator, but that's a hard part on my meaning while society tries to puncture it.

(amida buddha is the same as jesus, do good then heaven), cosmology of kyoto is a good game, more interesting than uncharted in some ways (apart from game design, not a real pointer sucked, but great aspodkiapsoid for those that want to plat it again).

Have 2 liters of shitty beer to go, my beer will be hopefully better.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OmegaDawn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 am

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:59 am

Give you chance by killing neurons.

You were not an idiot till now to me.

I still have 2 liters of shitty beer. DO you still have more stupid in you ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:01 am

We only give a shit about an afterlife because we have a very strong survival instinct.

As mentioned earlier, all we know is that once it's over...it's over. The thought of it being "over" seems unfathomable, but does it also bother you that you can't remember anything before the age of 5? Your brain hasn't fully formed to the point where it can attain new memories. So all that stuff your parents told you that you did but can't remember, does that bother you? As you slowly deteriorate, you won't be able to keep up remembering shit all the way until you die.

Also, it's really the anticipation of death that is more freighting than the event itself. By all accounts, your brain shutting down releases endorphins which makes the experience pleasurable.

Humans are just like the rest of the animals. They're born, they live, they reproduce, then they die. Never to exist again. I think it's better off that way because if astrophysicists and astronomers are on the money, the universe will eventually end too in a number of different ways. Our planet will die before the sun explodes into a supernova. Everything will enter into a Big Freeze, Crunch, or Rip.

However, having said all that.

It could also be possible in some sort of wacky way we can, in some form or fashion, live on. Maybe we already have and can't remember. Maybe we existed billions of times prior and are just living just a bit differently than the previous incarnation before us due to the universe ending and restarting.

Maybe different dimensions are different pathways to other beings that go beyond our three dimensional world. Maybe it can be possible to harvest and keep a consciousness and live on in parallel universes that are safe havens for our own. Or maybe i'm being too "Philip K. Dick" crazy at midnight when I should be writing other stuff I need to write.

Who knows, man.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 am

The thing that kills the reincarnation argument for me is that there are more people currently alive right now then have ever died. Where the hell have all these new souls come from? For reincarnation to really work we would need the same amount of people/animals on Earth at all times or we'd have some weird waiting room. Then there is the fact that we aren't really our bodies but just our brain so our soul wouldn't carry anything about us to the next host.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 am

Riku Rose wrote: The thing that kills the reincarnation argument for me is that there are more people currently alive right now then have ever died. Where the hell have all these new souls come from? For reincarnation to really work we would need the same amount of people/animals on Earth at all times or we'd have some weird waiting room. Then there is the fact that we aren't really our bodies but just our brain so our soul wouldn't carry anything about us to the next host.

Unless it's not limited by the Earth and instead the Universe. Perhaps you could be reincarnated on a Planet lightyears away.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 am

OL wrote: In regards to the soul, I believe that if someone kills you, they're able to take your soul from you. They can then use that soul to increase their dexterity, strength, intelligence, or agility. Or they can use it to make a sweet-ass sword, or some other type of useful equipment.
So if you want to live a worthwhile life, you better start killing. That tower shield +5 isn't going to make itself.

"Be wary of OL ahead"

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:13 pm

What are your thoughts on the afterlife?

mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Lots of great points here wow!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Thief wrote:Unless it's not limited by the Earth and instead the Universe. Perhaps you could be reincarnated on a Planet lightyears away.

It's still a little crazy that we would need the same exact amount of lives at all times.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:12 pm

I think we're in a time loop, which gets reset every so often. Sorta like the parallel universe thing but more random and probably explained by science...somehow. Maybe we transfer between universes after we all die and another parallel universe is started? Who knows. I'm really kind of agnostic about the whole thing, it's cooler to think to myself that there's infinite possibilities than just think "yup, we go to heaven and have a happy good time with everyone we have lost in our lives and have a party with Elvis, Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury providing the music, with Jesus MC'ing" or "we're dead and that's it, dust to dust, ashes to ashes, return to the earth".
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:19 pm

The very idea of no longer existing both utterly fascinates and confuses me (but doesn't scare me, strangely). For example, if you never existed in the first place, there wouldn't be anything - no consciousness, no frame of reference; nothing - but if you do exist, and have existed, and have lived a life 'til death comes to you, what happens when you no longer exist? To everyone else in the world, you no longer exist - you're simply no longer around as a physical being - but what happens to the part of you that both existed and verified your existence to yourself (i.e, your consciousness)? Surely it can't just disappear, can it? Consciousness exists within the mind, which exists within the brain, but once the brain is dead and gone, what happens then? I just can't rest easy thinking there's a big, fat full-stop at the end of a person's life that wipes their consciousness out of existence. We all know what it is like to exist, but to not exist? How could we possibly ever know or feel such a thing? What happens after that?

I feel similarly about the state of the universe before it came to exist. For 'nothing' to exist, there must be something from which something can exist within that so-called 'nothing'. There simply is no such thing as 'nothing' in this regard. By 'nothing', do people mean there was just a vast amount of black space before something came from 'nothing' and created all the stars and planets? Well, where the fuck did the black space come from, then? I don't think we'll ever find an answer to either, honestly. We can estimate for how long the universe has existed; what caused the stars and the planets to come to be; how many planets there are, but we will never ever be able to say with absolute certainly what caused the universe to exist. If you're religious (which I am not), then God created the universe. If you're inclined towards scientific belief and evidence, the Big Bang created the universe. But what was there before then? What caused the cause that led to the creation of the universe, and what caused the thing that caused the thing that caused the thing that created the universe, and so on? Infinity right there, brothers.

Unless nothing and none of you exist, and everything I've come to know in my life exists solely within my mind. Then where did I come from?...

Or maybe I'm just fucking nuts. I dunno :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Off Topic