Life and Death

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Life and Death

Postby OmegaDawn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:51 pm

No no, my post wasn't towards you. I'm tired and was actually just rambling bullshit to be honest, that's why I edited it. If I am referring to someone, and I dont do indirectly referring because I tell it how it is, then I would have quoted your post.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:17 pm

I tend to lean towards an idea of reincarnation. I believe we all have an individual character (with which drives our individual understanding of ethics and parts of our personality) and that it is immaterial and separate from the body -- and I don't find it personally too hard to believe that it could go to exist within another body after the one that it currently resides in expires. I believe this largely on the basis of faith, and also because I've always felt that what makes me have personhood is not restricted to merely my body. So yes, I believe in a "soul".

I understand that this concept could seem inherently silly, but I have yet to encounter any explanation of an afterlife (or absence of one) that didn't sound silly when compared to our current understanding of life. Same thing applies to explanations towards the creation of the universe -- every answer will seem strange to some regard.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:22 pm

That your brain stops to work so everything you feel/do stops sounds silly ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:25 pm

I think that us humans have a word and an imagination that encompass all we can conceive. But we are constantly learning, amd perhaps what happens after we die, is not something our minds can comprehend, nor be described by any of our vocabulary.

The afterlife, if any, is usually termed by state. White, black, dark, light etc. But what if its "something" our brain cannot conceive, or words describe because its beyond it all.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

shredingskin wrote:That your brain stops to work so everything you feel/do stops sounds silly ?

A little, yes. The thought of perceiving "nothing for eternity" when all we've experienced (to our knowledge) is "something for a finite amount of time" seems just a tiny bit silly -- given our current experiences. Not that I'm saying it can't be the case.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Beyond all what ??

I don't understand why we keep thinking that "something" will happen, if you cut the power off the computer it stops working, if you don't put gas on the ride it stops running.

We don't have any evidence that there is much more than our brain on how we do/perceive things (as far as I know), even things that we didn't though came from the brain (things like instinct) we can trace it to the evolution of our brains.

To Thief: nothing for eternity is what we already felt, it's everything that did happen, and you didn't experience it.

Are you like deepak chopra that thinks that atoms have "consiousness" ?? Because it's pretty much electromagnetism at atomic level.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

shredingskin wrote:To Thief: nothing for eternity is what we already felt, it's everything that did happen, and you didn't experience it.

Well, maybe. Or maybe we have all existed forever.

edit:

Are you like deepak chopra that thinks that atoms have "consiousness" ?? Because it's pretty much electromagnetism at atomic level.

I did say immaterial.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:38 pm

In the form of elements ? For sure.

It was not "you" by my definition, the same way a pile of cow shit isn't my grandfather.

Thief wrote:
I did say immaterial.

I don't think that exists. There is anti-matter though. Is that what you meant ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Well, clearly we have a conflict in the definition of what makes a person, a person. If you do not believe in a soul, like you seem to not, then of course it would be very silly to think that a person is anything other than the body.

But I do believe in a immaterial soul -- spiritual rather than physical -- and that it is partly responsible for my character.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Yes, I don't believe souls exists.

Why do you believe in that ? You don't like thinking we are just a body ? (real question).

I don't see anything weird in believing that. Well, I don't see a reason to believe there's a soul, it doesn't answer anything, there's no evidence for it, and it just makes other things more difficult to understand.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 pm

I'll add this, I am open to the possibility that each individual has their own after life destiny, and that something different could happen for each person. I think its a little closed minded to assume we all share the same collective destiny regarding the circumstances after we leave our human vessels. There is infinite possibilities regarding this subject, anything could happen once we die, perhaps maybe we even get choose? who knows?

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: shengoro86
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm

shredingskin wrote:Yes, I don't believe souls exists.

Why do you believe in that ? You don't like thinking we are just a body ? (real question).

I don't see anything weird in believing that. Well, I don't see a reason to believe there's a soul, it doesn't answer anything, there's no evidence for it, and it just makes other things more difficult to understand.

I suppose it has to do with how I feel people come to exist as being virtuous people and the nature of their personalities. Of course, I do believe this on faith, because I can't prove it to be the case that these traits are of the result of a soul, but it seems the most likely to me -- and I believe it through faith. But I don't think it really makes anything more difficult to understand. Which things in particular are more difficult?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OmegaDawn » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:13 pm

OmegaDawn wrote:What is not falsifiable is not worth discussing.

I can not agree with this in the slightest. Just because something isn't practical does not mean it is not worth discussing -- I believe it's worth discussing simply because the topic is interesting.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic