Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Postby Thief » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

So apparently there was some distribution deal thingy through RightStuf to release a lot of the Gundam series (with an emphasis on ones that have never been officially localized in the west) over to Blu-Ray and DVD. The original MSG 0079 TV series is out now on Blu-Ray and Turn A Gundam has also been released on DVD -- Freaking Turn A Gundum... on DVD... in the west! Really cool!

I went ahead and bought all of the original series on Blu-Ray with some money I had been given for my birthday (money that had been instructed to be used on something not practical and purely something I want) so I chose to buy this :)

I know if you're a pirate this may not interest you, but as a huge Gundam fan, I'd love to own official releases of my favorite shows in the franchise. It's also incredibly useful for getting other people into the shows if I don't have to force them to watch it on their computer.

Anyway, this is semi old news (around July?), but I'm just now hearing about it and I figured I'd bring it up to anyone else who's interested.

In leaving, I'll leave you this awesome closing song from MSG 0079.

phpBB [video]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... isc/.90041
Last edited by Thief on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Gundam Anime Coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in the West

Postby Raithos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah I saw that awhile back. If I didn't already have the box set for 0079 on dvd I would definitely pick it up on blu ray. Nice choice on what to spend that b-day money on! All my Gundam is on DVD except Unicorn. I have the first 6 volumes on blu ray but the last one was immediately hard to find once it released. It was like 40 bucks for a week now its 80+ when I see it. I need to just go ahead and get it while I still can. What other Gundam series are they releasing on blu-ray? Man if it wasn't such a hassle I would sell most of my DVD's and replace them. The giant cardboard boxes look cool as hell though.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:35 pm

There was also mention of Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Victory Gundam, and After War Gundam X -- although no specifications were made as to which would be on Blu-Ray and which would be on DVD. It seems as though Turn A Gundam is only going to be on DVD but I hope at the very least Zeta Gundam gets the Blu-Ray treatment. Although, DVD or Blu-Ray, it's just nice that these are getting released at all.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Oh yeah for sure, its better to see stuff released period if we've never gotten it over here. Let me know the quality of 0079 when you get it. I might pick up Turn A and some others down the line, if they are not limited. Hopefully they aren't. I love rightstuf, but sometimes they sell out of stock on self releases too quick.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm mostly just down for Gundam Wing (which I know already got a really nice bluray release in Japan, Endless Waltz included) and 008th MS Team. Haven't gotten into the others yet, although I'm sure I'd be pretty keen on the earlier ones.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:02 pm

08th MS Team and Stardust Memory are damn good. U.C. era is my favorite.

Raithos has received a thanks from: fittersau
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Amazon was sending me emails trying to get me to buy the original MSG blu-ray sets. I admit I wouldnt mind having them, as I have never watched the original Gundam all the way through, in fact I have barely seen any of it. Like many my first Gundam series were Wing and 008th MS Team, I loved G Gundam, and the Destiny series. Last time I really sat down adn watched Gundam was 00, I Remember it being decent. I have always been intersted in Zeta and ZZ, as I have heard they are among the best in the Gundam franchise, I would like to see more of the U.C. century material as most of the Gundam I have seen has been other time lines. Its hard to know what all actually connects, but I beleive all the U.C. shows and Turn A Gundam are all on the same time line, and the others hold their own. I also wanna say I am disappointed in the quality of most of the Gundam shows in the past 5 years or so (Unicorn being the exception).

I'm really more of a fan of Sunrise in general, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Bebop, Big O, the list goes on and on. I'll even recomend an early Mech anime in the vein of Gundam that I only saw a few eps of but seemed quality, Space Runaway Ideon, or just Ideon for short, that anime along with Gundam really set the ground work for almost all the mech anime we have seen after them.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Ironic timing, I just finished watching the original a couple weeks ago. :lol: I had actually watched it on CN back when I was in high school but the bastards cancelled it RIGHT when it was getting good (On the ball Amuro going up against Char in his Gelgoog mobile suit) on account of 9/11. I must say though, the last 10 episodes are simply phenomenal. I used to think I actually liked Gundam Wing before I saw the old Mobile Suit Gundam.

I like how beam sabers actually have a purpose in Gundam, as opposed to Star Wars where they are hilariously impractical. In 0079 the Gundam's Luna Titanium alloy is so durable and so far ahead of its time that Zaku's and other mobile suits were basically incapable of damaging it with their standard issue machine guns, your only prayer against that thing would have bean a beam saber/heat tomahawk or the like.

There's also a great deal of subtext in the show. Gihren Zabi could be compared to Hilter, his pursuit of conquest is insatiable and his preaching of Newtypes being akin to the "master race". But even the Federation is far from benevolent in the show, they basically oppressed the space colonies and the Zabi family not wanting to let a good opportunity for power slip through their fingers, take advantage of those understandably infuriated feelings to justify their own war of aggression for total control of Earth sphere. You really get the impression that people are suffering on both sides. It's easy to like and identify with characters from both ends of the spectrum and I personally think my own favorites were Ramba Ral and Dozle Zabi.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Thief
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Thread

Postby Thief » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm gunna watch some with my brother tomorrow night, so I'll let you guys know then what I think of the quality of the release.

Thief has received 4 thanks from: Henry Spencer, OL, Raithos, Sonikku
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Off Topic