Celebrity Death Thread

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Celebrity Death Thread

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:32 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ist-854364

Really really bummed out by this. Was really hoping that he would tour again someday. He was my dads favourite artist and he was really bummed out when I told him.
Last edited by Riku Rose on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: David Bowie Dies

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:04 am

I am so sad right now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 am

Lemmy and Bowie in the space of a month.

:cry:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 am

Much love David. Will never forget you.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 am

Terrible news this morning. RIP Goblin King.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:50 pm

I never usually bother that much about "celeb" deaths, this one I'm actually sad about though. RIP.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:50 pm

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:01 pm

*Dying internally*
Well now what?...
Stupid world being all sad n cruel!
Couldn't find a good pepe to explain how I feel for once...

mrslig100 has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, myshtuff
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby OL » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:21 pm

I wasn't a huge fan or anything; only recently gained any interest in looking further into his older stuff, but still haven't really done it.
Regardless, it still felt weird reading the news this morning. I dunno, maybe it was just the persona he had or something, but he always felt like one of those people that would just kind of live forever. I mean, hell, the Rolling Stones are still alive. Paul McCartney is still kicking. I would have guessed at Bowie going long after any of them. Didn't realize he had cancer.
Pretty cool that he managed to be one of those that keeps making music right up until the end though. Apparently his last album came out this month or something? Good way for an artist to go, I'd say.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Same, can't really put my finger on why I feel more sad about his death than other people I've never met. The radio at work was playing Bowie stuff non-stop for the first part of the day though, didn't realise just how many big tunes he had a part in. His royalties estate must be worth a staggering amount...

Paul McCartney is quite a clinical sort of guy compared to most musicians who were big "back then" though, he's not done the drink and drugs thing for decades so I reckon he'll still be around into his late eighties, at least! Mick Jagger is actually a year younger, but looking at pics of them two it's obvious he partied a lot harder and for a lot longer, though he is apparently quite the puritan these days too.

I'll be sad when Jack Nicholson goes too. He's just like an unstoppable force of nature. He's the same age-ish as these guys and was also well into his drugs and partying...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:52 pm

I just feel regret never seen him perform live. Also the fact he'll never produce anymore new material.

Though to be honest, his last couple of albums weren't very good. Even this latest one.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby streetwaves » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Really awful news. One of the greats. Influenced my musical taste more than maybe any other single artist did.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Yeah that's the main thing that bums me out.

He's the first musician that I was really desperate to see live that has died. When he made his comeback two years back I was really hoping he'd at least do the odd show here and there but he didn't for obvious reasons. There are bands like Queen that I love but by the time I was old enough to start going to concerts I've known that wouldn't happen since Freddie Mercury had long been dead at that point. I even had tickets for the first show for Michael Jackson's comeback show but I was thinking there was a chance that could be quite bad as his last few tours involved him lip syncing. I was even lucky enough to get tickets for the Led Zeppelin show about 5 years back when I thought that would never happen. I even thought Guns N' Roses with the old guys was impossible but that seems too be happening.

With Bowie I just always had this feeling that I'd get too see him live one day singing Space Oddity. I'd always check every couple of months too see if there where any rumours that he would be touring but nothing even came of it. Now that dreams dead and it's a little depressing.

It's really made me think though that I'm not going to wait for a band or singer to come to town 'next time' to go and see them. I knocked going too see Kiss on the head over 5 years ago and they've never been back which has pissed me off a little. I was struggling to get someone to go and see Billy Joel as well but at this point I'm thinking of just going on my own.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Kenny
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:59 pm

I find it really hard to listen to my favorite Bowie album, ...hours, right now.

I forgot how melancholy it is.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Did any of you see his performance in the German film 'Christiane F'? It was actually one of my favourite parts of the movie. The main character would play his records, then all of a sudden they'd see him in concert. It was a really nice surprise, I had no idea he was in it up until that point.

phpBB [video]
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Off Topic