Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby OL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 am

Riku Rose wrote: Watched the first episode of Punisher last night and thought it was awesome. I saw it was getting a mixed reception and wondered why. People are complaining it’s too violent... WTF?

People are complaining about the violence? Really?
Strange, when we've already seen this version of the Punisher in action in Daredevil season 2, and he was pretty friggin brutal in that to begin with. He shotguns a guy in the face at point blank in that... what were people expecting here?
But yeah, only watched the first episode so far, but I like it a lot. Fucking heeeeelllll of an improvement over the Defenders, which was just... so damn forgettable. Seriously, what even happened in that? I'm drawing a blank.
But like I said, only one episode so far. I'm still gearing up for disappointment and annoyance at some point; the last trailer featured Deborah Ann Wohl pretty prominently, and she is literally and without a doubt my single least favorite thing about the entire Marvel cinematic universe. Worse than Elizabeth Olsen, worse than Tony Stark's willingness to recruit infants to fight for him. I hate her like I hate puppy abuse. Her character needs to die already.
All the same... guess I'll go watch another episode. Maybe Jon Bernthal can override any terribleness that Wohl might bring to the table.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am

The Defenders met, fought some ninjas, had some scran, fought ninjas again, tied up Iron Fist, found a dead dragon, fought more ninjas, then dropped a building on Daredevil's head.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Finished The Punisher.
It's alright. Miles better than Iron Fist or The Defenders, so at least there's that. But I will say that, for the amount of content they actually have in the story, 13 episode was far too long. It almost literally could have been half that, and very little effect would have been lost.
Bernthal is great in the title role, as was expected. Actually, most of the cast is pretty great, barring Deborah Ann Wohl and the girl who plays Agent Madani (the character was fine, but I just couldn't buy this chick as the tough, savvy Homeland Security agent).
Have to say, there's a certain element of the series that just annoys me to no end when I think about it, though. We spent the entirety of Daredevil season 2 waiting for Frank Castle to get to the point of actually being the Punisher; he only finally shows up wearing the skull on his chest at the very end of that season, and it was kind of a giant "hurrah" moment. At that point, you're anticipating the next time we'll see him, decked out in costume and dispensing violence against criminals everywhere. All that good shit. So the problem here is that, in the first season of his own show... he burns the skull in the first five minutes. Kills a few guys in a cool opening, then hangs it all up. You don't see the skull again until around episode 10 or 11. And it's cool when it shows up again, sure, but we already waited for that shit to happen before. Why make the audience wait all over again?
Not to mention that the entire story is based not around him going on a rampage against the criminal underworld, but rather on him trying to uncover some military conspiracy, which just isn't that compelling.
And the most disappointing thing of all, for me, is where he ends up at the very end of the season:
sitting in a veterans' support group, talking about his fucking feelings. Actually saying "I'm afraid" at that. Bullshit.

That is not the Punisher I know from the comics. Not even close. Of course, I will say that my version of the Punisher is the 70s, 80s, and 90s era stuff, rather than the (typically more popular) Garth Ennis stuff post-2000. I don't know what Ennis has done with the character in his run, so I have no idea if that's actually based on anything. But I'm not a fan of that outcome all the same.
A little more objectively, it is a good story overall, but it feels more like a political thriller at times, rather than a grim vigilante action story.
So y'know. There's good, there's bad. Can't really say I love the show, but it's alright. Bernthal is still great, and most of the stuff involving Micro's family was actually surprisingly good. It's a good show, I just don't know that I'd necessarily call it a good comicbook adaptation/translation. It kind of chooses to do its own thing entirely, which is a little disappointing to me.

EDIT: Oh, and there's too much sex. Like, for no damn reason. How is it that in a show where the characters aren't even allowed to say the word "fuck," they're still allowed to show two naked bodies thrusting up on each other (with nipples conveniently covered) until the dude shivers and implicitly blows his load?
It just has no place in this kind of show. I mean, what, are you actually trying to titillate, in a fucking show about The Punisher? What's the point? And this happens about three times.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:04 pm

OL wrote: Finished The Punisher.
It's alright. Miles better than Iron Fist or The Defenders, so at least there's that. But I will say that, for the amount of content they actually have in the story, 13 episode was far too long. It almost literally could have been half that, and very little effect would have been lost.

I’ve still only watched 5 episodes so not sure if I agree with you here but I’ve felt that exact point with almost all these Marvel Netflix series. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage would have felt a lot tighter had they cut 3-5 episodes and would have probably been better for it. Considering they’re not a network that have to sell ad breaks it seems strange they seem so strict on this 13 episode every season rule.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 am

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Cyberman
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Cyberman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 am

So far the trailer for Avengers Infinity War has 81 million views. Not bad.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sokora » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Infinity War

Much quality! Very surprises! Such wow!
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Went to the midnight showing and loved it. Wouldn’t say I prefer it over the first Avengers movie but it’s certainly better than Age of Ultron.

I was actually surprised quite a bit during the film and love that they included things or altered things in the trailers too keep some surprises. Pretty much everything you expect to happen doesn’t and everything you think won’t happen does. There was 2 moments me and my friends looked at each other as we was surprised/shocked.

The ending was amazing to experiance during a midnight showing as you had 100+ people in a room hanging on every word and you could have heard a pin drop at the end, I feel during a normal showing if you got some idiots whispering it would ruin it. This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Marvel Universe.

The only thing I would say is a negative is the pacing, sometimes it would be as long as half an hour before they return to a group which you’re eager to see more of. Although I don’t think there’s really a boring character, even Thor who was one of my least favourites has been transformed into a great character thanks to Ragnarok.

The next part can’t come soon enough, this is certainly a part one and not it’s own film. It’s just a shame that we know what the next few films are as it ruins a certain moment.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby King John Blaze » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:35 am

Watched it yesterday and loved the fact that
the bad guy won.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:48 am

Um. Spoilers.
Actually, yeah, that's a little too blunt, so I'll just take the liberty of tagging it up...
I'm not too bothered by having anything spoiled, myself, but I will say that that particular one is kind of nice to hear.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:50 pm

With Infinity War and Dead Pool 2 coming out, I decided to catch up a little bit and finally checked out Captain America Civil War. Not bad, I actually enjoyed it, I didnt realize it introduced Black Panther either, it was a bit long but i felt like it handled everything about as good as it could be done considering they introduced Spider Man and Black Panther and a few surprise cameos like Ant Man that came out of the blue but didnt quite feel tacted on. Now there are just a few other MCU movies I need to check out to be prepared for Infinity War, Dr Strange, Spider Man Homecoming, Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther but I am really in no rush to watch them. Dead Pool 2 is my most anticipated thats for sure.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 01, 2018 12:52 pm

phpBB [video]
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Although I don’t think there’s really a boring character...

...save for Scarlet Witch, I'd say, who's still just as dull as a wooden spoon. Funny how her accent just disappeared though. It was always pretty horrid in Age of Ultron.
I'd agree on Thor though, they've certainly managed to make him pretty great by this point (I still haven't seen Ragnarok unfortunately, but it's a priority now).
Yeah, movie was okay. I get what they were trying to do with the ending, but to be entirely honest, it fell pretty flat for me.
(anyone who hasn't seen the movie, really, don't look in the spoiler tags unless you give exactly zero shits. In which case... why are you looking in the spoiler tags?)
If there were actually anything at stake, I'd say it was all extremely well-done and shocking. But it's a Marvel movie. It's part of a cash-cow franchise that Disney assuredly won't allow to slow down.
Meaning, they didn't really kill Spider-Man. They didn't really kill Dr. Strange. They didn't really kill off the Guardians. And they definitely didn't kill Black Panther. There's still too much money to be made off of all these characters, and therefore... none of it means anything. Without even thinking hard about it, I already know what happens in the next movie. Everyone (or at least everyone that still matters) gets brought back by the infinity stones. Or Captain Marvel does something wacky and galactic-y to bring everyone back. Whatever the case, everyone will come back.
There, I just wrote the next movie for Marvel.

That aside though, I do have to say the movie definitely suffers from "convenient powers" syndrome. Just like so many of these movies (and tv shows; comicbook stuff is all guilty) powers only seem to work when they're convenient, and they only seem to be used in ways that are convenient. If Thanos can literally alter reality with the reality stone... why not fucking do that? He literally
turns Bruce Banner's Hulkbuster armor incorporeal when he shows up at the end. Why not do that to everyone? Wouldn't that save you a shit ton of trouble? Why didn't he do this to Tony Stark et al. when he was fighting them?

Shit like that always gets under my skin.
Plus, I haven't seen Black Panther... but why is it that, in literally the most technologically-advanced country on Earth, the king has his troops carrying sticks and spears? They make it so the spears shoot lasers or some dumb bullshit, but still... why spears? Is Marvel aware that we'll still be able to tell it's Africa even if you don't go all stereotypical with it? I mean, I get it if they have a general tribal motif going on, but making everyone literal spearchuckers? In a property originally created by a bunch of white dudes? That shit's just racist.

So yeah, I get that it's a big impressive spectacle movie, and yeah, it was entertaining and all. But there are still all kinds of issues I find with it. And I don't even consider any of it nitpicky.

OL has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
OL
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 am

not really a big fan of superhero movies but thought this was funny :lol:

spoiler about new avengers movie:
phpBB [video]

redline has received a thanks from: OL
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Well, Doctor Strange was damn awesome considering I wasnt exactly sure what to expect from it. At first I questioned his character but then everything just seemed to blossom and the visuals were great. The chick and his love story could have had another scene before the end though.

I really like the characters like this that have significant enemies in the grand scale of the MCU Preventing a over seer of another dimension from taking over and all the mystic arts and the ideas presented just seem grand in scale. Thor is alot the same, he also deals with enemies that are cosmic/divine and are super powerful, but I guess just as long as their are bad ass fights what difference does it really make?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic