Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby Raithos » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Official trailer was released earlier today.
phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Gunna be guuuuud!

Donnie Yen ftw! Excited for this, Civil War and BFG!

Gunna be guuuud year for movies!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 pm

It looks pretty good.

Good to see Gareth Edwards actually show the action rather than cut away in the most cockteasing manner alive.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Trailer looks cool... except for the Donnie Yen bit. Personally, I just think having a bunch of kung fu choreography and whatnot will kind of dampen the sense of "awe" that having Jedis should inspire in other parts of the series. Being that the Jedi are technically "extinct" at the time this movie is based, it just seems kinda out-of-place and unnecessary, except to add some extra flash to the action.
Otherwise, looks pretty good. I like the cinematography style. Certainly different from anything else the main movie series has done, and because of that I'm getting this notion that it won't just be milking people's nostalgia this time. That's a good thing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:38 pm

and here we begin with more star wars being shoved in our faces for year after year than we have ever had, not sure what to think just yet, I think we will all be bracing for impact from so much star wars over the next few years. Here's hoping the spin offs are an enjoyable ride.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: and here we begin with more star wars being shoved in our faces for year after year than we have ever had

Yeah, because it's not like there have been dozens of books, video games, tv shows, tabletop games, a crapload of other merchandise, and actual Star Wars movies in the past decade or anything.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 pm

not a big star wars dude, i liked tfa, the old ones are too dated for me but this looks cool.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Sonikku » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 pm

The Mon Mothra lookalike nails it.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: and here we begin with more star wars being shoved in our faces for year after year than we have ever had, not sure what to think just yet, I think we will all be bracing for impact from so much star wars over the next few years. Here's hoping the spin offs are an enjoyable ride.

If you don't like it being shoved in your face you could always stay home and pretend it doesn't exist. :)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Calshot wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: and here we begin with more star wars being shoved in our faces for year after year than we have ever had

Yeah, because it's not like there have been dozens of books, video games, tv shows, tabletop games, a crapload of other merchandise, and actual Star Wars movies in the past decade or anything.

I was in wal mart just today and there was a whole bin of Star Wars Band Aids on sale... The marketing/merchandising since The Force Awakens has come out has been like nothing we have ever seen before. But your sarcastic attempt to try to contest me is noted. ;-)

Sonikku wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: and here we begin with more star wars being shoved in our faces for year after year than we have ever had, not sure what to think just yet, I think we will all be bracing for impact from so much star wars over the next few years. Here's hoping the spin offs are an enjoyable ride.

If you don't like it being shoved in your face you could always stay home and pretend it doesn't exist. :)

I have said nothing at all about not liking it, as always people are mis-interprepting my intentions x . x
Its just a huge change from what i have been used to seeing so much star wars every where since the latter part of last year.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 am

To be fair, Star Wars went on a bit of hiatus between Return of the Jedi to Phantom Menace. Sure there were novels and games and all that nonsense in between, especially the Shadows of the Empire thing they had going on in the mid-'90s, but there wasn't a feeling of overexposure for the movies. Not on a yearly basis.

Disney is hellbent on pushing Star Wars in our faces every year in the form of TV and movies with endless advertisements until we're SICK of that shit. It's gonna happen like superhero fatigue.

The advantage of this one is that it's not part of the main series, it's a spinoff. So in my mind, they can do whatever the fuck they want. Though I entertain the thought of "what if this was done in the '80s" without that bullshit lens flare.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby BigTuna » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:09 am

Looks so good! Love that they're doing a film about the plans being stolen. Always wanted to see that story on the big screen.

I so wish Kyle Katarn could make an appearance.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:24 pm

If you get annoyed that something is in your face too much then that's only because you let it. In this day and age there is so much choice for what you can do that you can avoid anything you don't want. I go to news sites that cater to topics I'm interested in so I have no idea what celebrity's are wearing or what's going on in the NFL as I don't care. People moan about the fact there is too many superhero movies and too much Star Wars mania but if you really wanted to you could avoid it.

That would be too easy though so the internet decides to moan about it.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: BigTuna, Sonikku
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Thief » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but it looks pretty bad. Just a trailer though but who knows.

Seems pretty cheesy and the acting looks like it'll be pretty poor -- I get Terminator Genesis/Jupiter Rising/(Other shitty SciFi) vibes watching the trailer. I liked TFA, and I'll see this, but this trailer doesn't bode well for me.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Problem with that is you're going to inadvertently see it cause it's a franchise you enjoy and with each installment just becoming more needless filler, you're going to not enjoy it as much as you used to.

Maybe it's different person to person, but I like coming out feeling energized seeing something great not coming out thinking "wow, I could've been home watching YouTube videos".
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:25 pm

phpBB [video]

Some trailer break down observations. I think my body is ready for more star wars than we can shake a stick at!

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: BigTuna
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic