Has no Shenmue 3 kept us (relatively) together?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby King John Blaze » Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Have you ever thought, if Shenmue 3 got released quite soon after the second game and was the last in the series, this forum may be redundant and non-functioning?

I joined this forum way back when and was by far my favorite forum. Not as fun and large as something like GameTrailers but I genuinely felt something for quite a lot of people here. Pretty much all of the know and regular posters and I am happy Shenmue has taken such a long time as is meant that I was able to experience and share significant life events on this forum.

I remember beefing with members like Mile Prower, creating a Wikipedia page that got noticed here, going through theories for Shenmue, sharing life experiences and even helping someone with a CV. Since I last posted consistently on this forum, I was a kid with massive anxiety and depression issues, borderline suicidal. Now I have own a house, getting married and drive a new car. I have pretty much withdrawn from pretty much all internet forums having been actively part of dozens.

So much has changed in my life but waiting for Shenmue 3 and this forum is one of the few things that have been consistent and still part of my life today.

King John Blaze has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, nskachu, Sonne2
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Has no Shenmue 3 kept us (relatively) together?

Postby nskachu » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Yes. This is why I have mixed feelings about the announcement after all these years. It's like an era that finds its end to make way for our dream that is about to become reality
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby ShenGCH » Mon May 16, 2016 4:23 am

Absolutely. I've always been active on the forums, ever since joining up as an angsty, naive fourteen year-old way back in 2006 ( :lol: ), but the lack of Shenmue III definitely provided a string that kept us all tied together; the hope that some day, one day, it would be announced. Even in the years running up to E3 2015, any mention of the game in the media would spark the forums right back up again - from Yu Suzuki saying he's looking into the possibility of a Kickstarter to SEGA acknowledging that people are interested in the series - but it was the reveal at E3 that sent us all into overdrive and even brought back a load of old faces who had long given up hope and completely ducked out of the forums for years. Now we know the game exists and is coming (I'd say there's a huge probability it'll be delayed into early 2018 because game development, etc.), I think that bond has only strengthened, and it'll only continue to grow come the immediate run-up, the actual release of the game, and, of course, the inevitable Shenmue IV speculation :)

It might sound sad as fuck, but I honestly feel at home here and I'd be pretty bummed if the forums ever shut down or died because of a lack of interest. It's a real comfort to me.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat May 21, 2016 7:01 am

I don't think so. If S3 would have come out, let's say in 2004 or 2005 way back on Xbox we would still have had S4 to keep us together. Also, with the release of S3, I don't think this forum will become obsolete, because S3 will not conclude the story.

For me personally, an era will end on the day I finally get to see the conclusion of the Shenmue saga's story. Now Yu has already made it clear, he does not intend to split up the story into 6 games but maybe 4 or 5. So as long as Shenmue is still not completed, we still have a common cause on the Dojo, which is S4 and maybe even S5.

We're not done yet., After S3, we'll need to make sure, S4 can be made. And if S4 doesn't conclude the story we will need to fight for S5.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I don't think so. If S3 would have come out, let's say in 2004 or 2005 way back on Xbox we would still have had S4 to keep us together. Also, with the release of S3, I don't think this forum will become obsolete, because S3 will not conclude the story.

For me personally, an era will end on the day I finally get to see the conclusion of the Shenmue saga's story. Now Yu has already made it clear, he does not intend to split up the story into 6 games but maybe 4 or 5. So as long as Shenmue is still not completed, we still have a common cause on the Dojo, which is S4 and maybe even S5.

We're not done yet., After S3, we'll need to make sure, S4 can be made. And if S4 doesn't conclude the story we will need to fight for S5.

Oh, well, of course Shenmue IV would have kept us together had Shenmue III come out years previously and the former was the one we were waiting on. Same thing would apply to Shenmue V. It's just that Shenmue III happened to be the one we were waiting for.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Was hope for Shenmue 3 what kept everyone around? Once you pass that decade mark I'm unsure that's why the community was sticking around anymore, seems to have been more about the genuine love for the franchise rather than waiting for news on a sequel that seemed like it would never happen.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:46 pm

It kills me that shenmue 3 wont conclude the story, i just hope S4 will cuz idk if i would have the patience to wait for 5.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 pm

GYO6161 wrote: It kills me that shenmue 3 wont conclude the story, i just hope S4 will cuz idk if i would have the patience to wait for 5.

If Shenmue III does indeed come out in December 2017 (which I very much doubt, but I'm still hoping for), that's two-and-a-half years since the initial reveal, and if the subsequent Shenmue games take roughly the same amount of time to develop, that means we'll be seeing IV and V in approximately 2020 and 2023, respectively, which really isn't long at all; just as long as we know they're coming, that'll be fine.

We know absolutely nothing about the future of the series outside of III, however, so anything could happen by then.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Yes.

But don't worry about Shenmue 3 coming out. We've been marooned together for 15 years. We're all deeply sexually attracted to each other by now. bff.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Indeed we are Kiba... and im very interested to see what that sponge tongue of yours can do. Lets rock each others worlds! ;-)

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: KiBa
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:58 pm

King John Blaze wrote: Have you ever thought, if Shenmue 3 got released quite soon after the second game and was the last in the series, this forum may be redundant and non-functioning?

Once or twice. But on the other hand, people discuss gaming and other things in general.

I joined this forum way back when and was by far my favorite forum.

Likewise. Mostly because of the range of discussions and the common Shenmue interest.

I am happy Shenmue has taken such a long time as is meant that I was able to experience and share significant life events on this forum.

Happy? Damn, that's close to blasphemy ;)

Now I have own a house, getting married and drive a new car.

But an adult instead with massive anxiety and depression issues, borderline suicidal? Or did you mean something else? :P

KiBa wrote:But don't worry about Shenmue 3 coming out. We've been marooned together for 15 years. We're all deeply sexually attracted to each other by now. bff.

Mind reader. Though it's in a paradoxical platonic sexual way, right? Right?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 pm

I really hope the difference between Shenmue 2s release and Shenmue 3s release is that S3 will have a huge base on the PS4 and hopefully they will release HD remasters of 1 & 2. If not we may be looking at Shenmue 3 being the last game(but not the end of the story).

HD remasters are critical because a lot of people won't jump into a story without any emotional connection to the characters. Shenmue diehards know Ryo and feel his rage. We know Ren is a punk but has a good heart. And we know Shenhua has wisdom even if we don't know what it all means. But I'm afraid newcomers won't have that connection.

I trust Yu will make a fantastic game that won't fail to deliver like so many other long awaited sequels. But I don't think hype alone can grow the fanbase and ensure a Shenmue 4.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:55 pm

Like a bunch of junkies in a crack house.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:57 am

Only united can our voices be heard. Though it take 14 years, our hard work and coordination eventually paid off. Most of us were between our teen years and twenties when the last game came out and with everything that has happened in our lives, we still came together to feel that Shenmue still remains a big part of us and that we still feel incomplete without Shenmue.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 am

ys wrote:
KiBa wrote:But don't worry about Shenmue 3 coming out. We've been marooned together for 15 years. We're all deeply sexually attracted to each other by now. bff.

Mind reader. Though it's in a paradoxical platonic sexual way, right? Right?

phpBB [video]

Yes, of course. 8-[
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Return to Off Topic