NeoGAF down as owner faces sexual allegations again

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

NeoGAF down as owner faces sexual allegations again

Postby sutoji » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:58 am

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... legations/

Tyler Malka, the owner of popular gaming forum NeoGAF, is facing allegations of sexual assault. Facebook post claims that Malka, who is better known online as his username “Evilore,” was a mutual friend that went on a road trip with her down to New Orleans. She alleges that once in New Orleans, she got sick, went to take a shower, and then Malka decided to join in without any consent (the two were not in a relationship at the time, and never were).

These aren’t the first time that Malka has faced allegations of sexual assault, as his own blog post about a trip to Spain led people to questio him after he admitted in 2012 to grabbing a woman in a club while drunk.
Due to the situation, several longtime moderators have stepped down. I’ve managed to confirm that even more moderators are planning to leave the site in the near future. While there’ a staff exodus, the site itself has gone into a state of self-implosion, as people are currently trying to one up themselves in an attempt to ge banned from the site. These types of threads were being removed earlier, but now many have stayed up since the site doesn’t seem to have a active moderation team at the moment.

HOLY **** NeoGAF is down, several mods have left and users were asking for bans.

sutoji has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Re: NeoGAF down as owner faces sexual allegations again

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:34 am

Actually happy it happened.

I was scared that that fucking echochamber of rapists and child molesters were going to try dogpile SIII because Niao Sun.

Good riddance.

shredingskin has received 3 thanks from: InsanityIsCrazy, KidMarine, RootyKazooty
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby RootyKazooty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 am

F*ck NeoGAF.

I'm giving them the NeoSHAFT.

Although I accept that, given the subject matter, this is an inappropriate metaphor.

RootyKazooty has received a thanks from: InsanityIsCrazy
RootyKazooty
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Erevador » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:07 am

ShenmueGAF has been extremely supportive of the series and drummed up countless donations for the Kickstarter. GAF was one of the main places where Shenmue discussions were being had (even before the Kickstarter). The wider site had a LOT of problems, but the Shenmue community was fantastic.

This whole thing is a bizarre, baffling mess.
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KidMarine » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 am

NeoGAF has been terrible for years. Total echo-chamber of ultra liberal views, everyone trying to out virtue signal each other, Stalin-esque mods banning anyone who even remotely strays from the hive-mind and has wrong opinions. Kind of creepy to see in action.

It was one of the better gaming forums out there until 5 or 6 years ago, before the crazies got in charge and reasonable people slowly left over the years.
Last edited by KidMarine on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:34 pm

I’m quite dissapointed it’s gone down as I followed the Twitter bot that tweeted out new topics as they was made. I never had an account on Gaf but it was the best way to keep up with all gaming news, now I’ll have to follow about 5 different news sites to get anywhere close to the amount of news they provided me.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Since when does any of this qualify as "sexual assault"?
I don't know shit about NeoGAF. I don't pay attention to or bother with most gaming sites or forums or whatever the hell it is. So I know nothing about the guy or the people surrounding him. I don't care to know.
But just going by the article, two instances are mentioned: he grabbed somebody while in a drunken stupor back in 2012 ("grabbed," mind you; for all we know, it could have been on the shoulder), and he got in a shower naked with someone, then left when told to.
The actions of a dumb douchebag?
Sure. He doesn't sound like anyone I'd want to be friends with.
But calling this "sexual assault" is a disgusting exaggeration. "Sexual assault" is an actionable offense. It's the kind of thing people go to prison for. Hard prison. Like, "fuck you up the ass while an excited Southerner slaps you in the face and tells you to oink like a piggie" prison. Then you get stabbed with a toothbrush shiv.
The guy is clearly a dumbass, but the things he's accused of are just stupid frat boy bullshit. He didn't rape the girl in the shower; he left when she said she wasn't interested. Whether he acted like a jerk later is besides the point. And whatever "grabbing" he did five years ago was done while inebriated, and apparently led to nothing else afterward.
Sure, he sounds like a complete dong, and people can do whatever they want to defame him on the internet. But phrasing it so that he sounds like a dangerous criminal is ridiculous.

OL has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Rakim, Sonikku
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm

From what I’ve read he apparently grabbed the woman on the arse.

Totally agree though that getting in a shower with her is just him completely reading things wrong, forcing yourself on her after she says no is assault.

But this is another case of the Internet trying to destroy someone or something again and next week they’ll choose a new target. Things like sexual assault are sensitive subjects for those involved and because everyone has to have an opinion on the Internet within an hour people jump to extremes and don’t actually discuss anything. Most people don’t actually even seem pissed off about the actual allegations and most just seem happy to see a website burn to the ground because they didn’t like some posts on there which is quite pathetic.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:23 pm

lol if they were sharing a hotel room I can understand why he would think that he would have a chance with her. but damn, what kind of person just gets naked and invites themselves in to the shower with you without being sure if you would be willing beforehand? Surely there are more subtle less embarassing ways of knowing if someone wants to sleep with you than getting naked :lol:

south carmain has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenSun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been on gaf for years and it is by far the best site for up to date gaming news.However, i will say this, i believe everyone's views should be heard and openly discussed whether you agree or disagree with them. Hopefully, ive demonstrated that on my posts here on the dojo

Neogaf on the other hand is an extremist hell hold. Anyone who doesnt agree with their groupthink is har***ed, bullied and treated like rubbish. So I personally think this is a good thing for the site. Hopefully, it can one day turn back into a forum on just gaming on none of this extremist political BS.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Totally agree though that getting in a shower with her is just him completely reading things wrong, forcing yourself on her after she says no is assault.

That's the point, Neogaf went after fucking everyone that didn't fit their hivemind.

The irony of having molesters and pedophiles is just the strawberry of the cake.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Was the best source for game news on the internet so it's a shame it's dead but the admin sounded like a right idiot and always came across that way with how he conducted business.

I was not cool with how they tried to make the controversy of the pedophile/mother beater/thieving mod (Amir0x) go away like they did so quickly. That shit was pretty shocking and disgusting. What the admin did in comparison was fucking nothing.

Since the place is dead may as well just let it be known that I went by the name Sumio Mondo there, by the way. :lol:
Ah well, dunno where I'll get my gaming news from now aside from Gematsu and IGN. I learned about a lot of really obscure games through GAF so it's a shame.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby sand4fish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:24 pm

sutoji wrote:HOLY **** NeoGAF is down, several mods have left and users were asking for bans.

It was about time. Maybe now this forum will take over on the main role of gaming news source from here on and no one will complain about it being dead. 8)
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Was the best source for game news on the internet

Long time ago, today the only relevance was sony PR/shilling there.

It was kinda ok formatted with long threads and big enough to get a quick fix of news just browsing the first 2 pages.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:18 pm

To be honest everyone from NeoGAF seemed pretty toxic. It's like they take anything you could say that they slightly disagree with as a personal offence.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to Off Topic