Lord of the Rings (TV Show)

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Lord of the Rings (TV Show)

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Warner Bros. Television and the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien are in talks with Amazon Studios to develop a series based on the late author’s “The Lord of the Rings” novels. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is said by sources with knowledge of the situation to be personally involved in the negotiations, which are still in very early stages. No deal has been set.

The studio and the Tolkien estate have been shopping a series based on the classic fantasy novels and their assortment of hobbits, wizards, and warriors, sparking a competitive situation from which Amazon has emerged as the frontrunner. Representatives for Amazon and Warner Bros. declined to comment.

It is uncommon for Bezos — known to be a fan of high fantasy and science fiction — to involve himself personally in dealmaking for Amazon Studios. But talks for “The Lord of the Rings” come at an uncommon moment for the e-commerce giant’s video-entertainment division. Last month Amazon Studios flushed its executive ranks, with president Roy Price, head of scripted Joe Lewis, and head of unscripted Conrad Riggs all departing. Price’s departure came just days after he was suspended on the heels of a sexual harassment allegation made against him by a producer on the company’s original series “The Man in the High Castle.” Lewis and Riggs’ departures followed a week later.

But the pursuit of “The Lord of the Rings” is in line with a new programming mandate dictated this year by Bezos, who, months before Price departed, ordered him to shift Amazon Studios away from niche, naturalistic series such as “Transparent” and “Mozart in the Jungle” and toward large-scale genre programming with potential for broad international appeal. As part of that shift, Amazon canceled two series, “Z: The Beginning of Everything” and “The Last Tycoon,” and began shifting resources away from Lewis’ development team and to a unit led by event-series exec Sharon Tal Yguado. With Lewis’ departure, Tal Yguado was named head of scripted series, reporting to Price’s interim replacement, Amazon Studios COO Albert Cheng.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of ... 202606519/

I enjoyed the Peter Jackson films but didn’t love them like so many do but this really seems like something that’s not necessary. I could understand if the films weren’t well received or were made before we had special effects to make the stuff in the books look half decent.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Lord of the Rings (TV Show)

Postby OL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:06 pm

I feel the same way about the apparent Watchmen show that's supposed to be in development. The movie was -- regardless of the claims of whining fanboys -- pretty damn accurate to the comic, outside of a few changes.
I'm no LotR fanatic, but from what I understand the movies were pretty accurate all around. Why make a new adaptation? The movies are long enough anyway, you split them up the right way and you'd pretty much have a season of an Amazon show already.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I saw this story on some site that said the Tolkien estate is asking for like $300 million just for the rights to make the show. On top of this probably being a bad idea as not enough time has passed since the massively popular film versions happened, I don't want this to get made just so Tolkien's greedy offspring don't get their way.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Mr357
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 am

The guy who created the stories isn't even alive anymore. Asking for a shitton of money just seems to be in bad taste at this point.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

The newest TV installment from Middle Earth is headed to Amazon.

Amazon Studios — in conjunction with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema — will produce a new "The Lord of the Rings" TV series, the company announced Monday. Amazon acquired multiseason, global television rights to the project. The show will be available for Amazon Prime members.

The series will be a prequel to the J.R.R. Tolkien book "The Fellowship of the Ring," and is based on new story lines. There is also potential for spinoffs. The financial terms and series release timing were not disclosed, although a Deadline report said Amazon paid close to $250 million just for the rights without any production costs. Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the price.

The race for acquisition of premium franchises is tightening, as more tech companies and streaming platforms acquire content.

Netflix has had a long-standing relationship with Marvel, and acquired comic book company Millarworld in August. (Though Disney is pulling its Marvel movies off Netflix in 2019, the joint Netflix-Marvel TV show productions will remain.) Meanwhile, earlier reports said Amazon and Apple were bidding for the "James Bond" franchise, along with traditional entertainment companies.

Now official. Nice that it's not a complete remake although can't say it something that's going to make me finally sign up to Prime.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am

Prequel to Fellowship? Wait, so are they adapting The Silmarillion then? That'd be interesting. Basically in a nutshell, it's more of a dark fantasy series that Tolkien did after both The Hobbit and LOTR. Features Sauron's master and the making of the Ring, various wars and conflicts, explore other parts of Middle Earth. I'm not complaining if we're getting more LOTR, especially in a world nowadays full of reboots and pointless sequels/prequels (Star Wars), I'll take it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Return to Off Topic