DC Cinematic Universe

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

DC Cinematic Universe

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:38 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Can't believe these are real, and who knew Aquaman would be a fan favorite these days?

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Postby Sokora » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Those look ridiculously by the numbers crap.

If someone had said to me when I was aged 10 that I would fall asleep watching a Justice League film or be bored by a Batman vs Superman movie I would have laughed at them.

I'm not a Marvel fanboy either, their films are starting to get a little tiresome too.
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Postby OL » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 am

Complaining that they look by-the-numbers is at least a little funny, since these are essentially based on some of the old comics that created the numbers to begin with. I mean, how do you even do an Aquaman movie that looks anything other than how this looks? If anything, it just looks about as right-on as can be, considering the source material.
Don't get me wrong though, sometimes I feel that same way; I'll complain about how tired Marvel seems or whatever the case may be. So I get it.
But then sometimes I just wake up and it hits me: we live in a world where they're actually making a 160 million dollar movie based on Aquaman, of all freakin characters. That shit is bonkers. When I was a kid this was unfathomable, but now we get this kind of thing all the time. We have Ant Man, we have Guardians, and now the two main DC movie coming out are Aquaman and Shazam. If this is a problem, then goddamn, I wish all my problems were like this.

That being said, and being someone who consistently enjoys this kind of stuff, I really do think these both look fun as hell. Shocked by Shazam, in particular; I was anticipating nothing but cringe-city, but it looks like a damn fun time. It's basically the 80s movie Big, but with superpowers. Nutty fucking direction, but it looks like it works. And I always liked Zachary Levi in the show Chuck, so even though he seemed a weird casting choice initially, he's a likable presence right off the bat. I'm only worried that Billy Batson isn't young enough; if they're hoping for more than one movie, that kid is gonna be 20 before they get their sequel.

And Aquaman looks about as good as I could have possibly hoped. I look back at Justice League and it really does feel like a pretty giant rush-job of a movie now. But now that those characters are introduced, I'm pretty happy to see them get a bit more room to stretch their legs, and Aquaman was the one I wanted to see more of the most. And James Wan is a really eclectic director, really underrated even though he consistently gets tons of work. Seems like a guy who just loves film as a whole, so I'm hoping he's got the chops to just make a really solid standalone flick. I like how it looks.

Aside from that, I also saw about 30 seconds of the trailer for that live-action Titans show they're making.
And uh... the less said about that, the better.
Hard pass on that. I'm not all sunshine and roses about everything, it turns out.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Return to Off Topic