About Fuku-san

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

About Fuku-san

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:50 am

Something disturbed me for many years about our dear Fuku-san. How are we supposed to know he's not the Ryo's brother but a student ? Is there any dialogue to unlock in the game to get this information ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: About Fuku-san

Postby Ryuman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:11 am

Yokosuka wrote: Something disturbed me for many years about our dear Fuku-san. How are we supposed to know he's not the Ryo's brother but a student ? Is there any dialogue to unlock in the game to get this information ?

I dunno if it's explicitly stated in the game, but it seems fairly obvious contextually. Moreso in the Japanese version, since they refer to each other in that formal way as well.
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

Yokosuka wrote: Something disturbed me for many years about our dear Fuku-san. How are we supposed to know he's not the Ryo's brother but a student ? Is there any dialogue to unlock in the game to get this information ?

Within the game, there's an instance where Fuku-san says something along the lines of, "Sensei was like a father to me." Outside of the game, however, it is stated in Fuku-san's biography that he "has been a live-in student of the Hazuki Dojo for almost 10 years. To Ryo, he is more like a member of the family." So he's definitely a student and not Ryo's brother, though I'm sure almost all of us assumed he was Ryo's brother until discovering otherwise the very first time we played the game.

My guess is Fuku-san was either from a broken home with very little going for him before meeting Iwao, or he was simply a student who Iwao took a particular shine to and decided to accept as a live-in student.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 am

Interesting thought ShenGCH. That gives me the desire to get childhood flashbacks in Shenmue III to learn more about him and his relation with Ryo.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:15 am

Yeah, whilst not immediately obvious, it's insinuated throughout the game for example when Ryo talks about getting revenge, it's always "They killed my father, right infront of me..." and not "our".
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:37 am

James Brown wrote: Yeah, whilst not immediately obvious, it's insinuated throughout the game for example when Ryo talks about getting revenge, it's always "They killed my father, right infront of me..." and not "our".

This kind of sentence indeed implies that he's not his blood brother but that still doesn't mean he's originally a student of the Hazuki dojo.

Perhaps Yu considered the Shenmue Passport as integral part of Shenmue and so didn't judge necessary to put this information into a superficial dialogue. Moreover, it's sometimes better to keep little shadows within the story.

Personally I appreciate that Fuku-san is not a simple brother because that put the dojo dimension even more forward.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:19 am

Yokosuka wrote: Interesting thought ShenGCH. That gives me the desire to get childhood flashbacks in Shenmue III to learn more about him and his relation with Ryo.

That'd be sweet as fuck!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue