The real reason I want SI and SII HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

The real reason I want SI and SII HD

Postby SMDzero » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 am

Is because I never was able to carry my SI save file into SII. Anyone (probably in the UK) carry their save over to SII and did it seriously improve the immersive experience?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: The real reason I want SI and SII HD

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:50 am

worth getting a pal shenmue 1 for imo
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:50 pm

You're missing out on a lot of moves and items if you don't start from a cleared file. The "normal" start that you get on the DC sucks quite a bit. It's not like on the Xbox where you automatically start with everything.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm

I only carried over my save for the first time on my latest playthrough a month or so ago. Was cool seeing the specific Nozomi photo I picked with the snow in the background when showing photos to Shenhua. I guess having the moves was cool but training up moves in Shenmue II doesn't evolve them, just means the damage they do is more lasting. Was planning on pawning some of the capsule toys but ended up trying to collect as many as possible.

I don't feel like it made a major difference to the experience, and I don't think it'd add much to import a save file to Shenmue III, just let the player start off with what's needed. I do hope though that future games will have players make more consequential choices.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Ryuman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:00 pm

I think some of the more interesting stuff you get with the file is whatever you find in the basement i.e. the feather and the scroll. I suppose you get all that in the Xbox version? Anyway, since those items don't come into play yet in Shenmue II, I guess it doesn't really matter. I hope we get them in Shenmue III... I must know.
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby DL30 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm

Is it me,or is the fighting gameplay in Shenmue 2 harder on the XBox version?
DL30
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sappharad » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:59 am

SMDzero wrote: Is because I never was able to carry my SI save file into SII. Anyone (probably in the UK) carry their save over to SII and did it seriously improve the immersive experience?

I resolved that problem in October:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49245

You just need to buy (or burn) a cheat device, or a patched copy of the game with the save file region check removed. Converting sucked, because then you'd have to convert back to play S1 again.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sh3ppy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 pm

DL30 wrote: Is it me,or is the fighting gameplay in Shenmue 2 harder on the XBox version?

Really? I've only ever played the DC versions (just finished my most recent play through of I & II), so would be interested to know if this really is the case.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby Mr357 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:00 pm

DL30 wrote: Is it me,or is the fighting gameplay in Shenmue 2 harder on the XBox version?

It's probably because your moves aren't trained as much.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sh3ppy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Mr357 wrote:

It's probably because your moves aren't trained as much.

That probably makes more sense I think. Last time I made a point of maxing out most moves in SII on the first disc before continuing the story, & found all the fights quite easy to win.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby BlueMue » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:52 pm

The difference between a perfectly trained Ryo and one that's very basic isn't really that dramatic when carrying over to Shenmue II. I once had the Tiger Knuckle trained to the max in Shenmue and it was not much more then half full in Shenmue II. What really makes the difference is that you'll miss the moves that you get from the martial arts scrolls in Shenmue.

The Xbox version starts off with all the moves from the first game at an alright level. It likely feels harder just because of the difference in the controllers and all that damn blur.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaos » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:29 am

drunkensailor wrote: worth getting a pal shenmue 1 for imo

Or you could just use a save file converter, which is what I did last time I played.

I don't think I'll ever play the xbox version of Shenmue 2 again just because I know how to keep my save file now.

It's gonna suck to not be able to carry your save over to Shenmue 3 though. I really hope that a miracle happens and S1 and S2 HD get released with the ability to carry over to 3.
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby strider16 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:00 am

Chaos wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: worth getting a pal shenmue 1 for imo

Or you could just use a save file converter, which is what I did last time I played.

I don't think I'll ever play the xbox version of Shenmue 2 again just because I know how to keep my save file now.

It's gonna suck to not be able to carry your save over to Shenmue 3 though. I really hope that a miracle happens and S1 and S2 HD get released with the ability to carry over to 3.

I still believe that a special webpage that allows us to upload our savefiles for PSN/Steam will be available. We will need just that ISPs still keep dial-up connections working until the release of S3 :mrgreen:
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Telekill » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:28 pm

I have two main reasons for wanting a Shenmue HD Collection on my PS4.

1. HD and possibly wide-screen formatting would make Shenmue look much better than when I hook up my Dreamcast to my HDTV.

2. Probably considered sacrilege, but Shenmue is the only reason I've kept my Dreamcast for this long and it's taking up space. If a Shenmue HD Collection were to be announced for PS4, I would sell off my Dreamcast, all games and accessories for it. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dreamcast for various games, but frankly, I don't have time to play them all anymore.

Hopefully if an HD Collection does happen, the PC will get it as well so that anyone that would get Shenmue 3 could catch up. Of course the first thing that needs to happen is that Sega needs to pull their head from their ass. :-({|=
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby FluffySquishy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:59 am

dream :3

FluffySquishy has received a thanks from: Jibby
FluffySquishy
Fuku-san
Fuku-san