SHENMUE 1- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

SHENMUE 1- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:38 am

SHENMUE I FAQ

If you require any form of material for Shenmue I, be it music, artwork, or whatever, please check here first;
http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/shenmue.shtml

Character profiles; http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/s ... ters.shtml

NOTICE: I, personally, do not want to see anymore topics asking why Ryo never eats or takes a shower, etc. IT IS A GAME, and the topic has been done to death. I really don't know what people expect to achieve by constantly pointing things like this out. Please refrain from making topics like this. This applies to all of the Shenmue forums.

Q. I want to download a certain music track from Shenmue I, where can I get it?
LanDC has recently re-recorded the Shenmue I tracks in better quality, as well as adding all the ones that were not availiable before. Hence, we now have every music track for the game on the Dojo ^_-
http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/s ... usic.shtml

If you are looking for a particular track and are having trouble determing which one it is, you can now play samples, lasting a few seconds, before getting the actual track itself through Fileplanet. So it should now be relatively easy to find the track you are looking for ^^

Q. Is there a version of Shenmue I with Japanese voices and English subtitles?
No such version exists, I’m afraid. Ironically, US Shenmue has the reverse; English voices with Japanese subtitles.

Q. Why does Ryo wear a plaster on his face? Is it a scar, and did Lan Di give it to him?
A. It has never been documented in any official material just why Ryo wears this plaster. And no, it was not the result of an injury from Lan Di; watch the opening scene again; he has the plaster before he gets into the Dojo. Feel free to make theories about it though ^^

Q. I am stuck on a certain part, HELP!
Check here first;
http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/s ... ides.shtml

Q. How do I get the Bad Ending?
A. The Bad Ending is triggered on April 15th, 1987; so it is a punishment for taking too long to finish the game. If you want to see the Bad Ending, the best way to do so is get to the part where Ryo is sneaking into the Old Warehouse District, and continually fail the QTE where you have to catch the torch. A day will pass each time you fail; so just leave the game untouched for a while until April 15th approaches. You will be asked to save the game, I’d recommend saving it to a new slot so you can always watch the Bad Ending again. After this, the Bad Ending will trigger.
For the curious, here is a transcript of the Bad Ending;

(Ryo is seen walking in the Dojo garden path. The cherry tree has now started to bloom, Spring has arrived. He hears Fuku-san from the Dojo)
Fuku-san: I’ll never tell you where Ryo-san is! (gets hit) Aggh!
(Ryo rushes into the Dojo)
Ryo: Fuku-san!
(Ryo enters the Dojo to find Lan Di with his two henchman)
Ryo: Lan Di!
Fuku-san: Ryo-san, don’t do it!
Lan Di: I heard there’s another mirror.
Ryo: What?!
Lan Di: Give it to me, now.
Ryo: Not a chance!
Lan Di: If that’s the way you want it, I’ll just take it from you.
Ryo: I will avenge my father’s death!
(Ryo rushes towards Lan Di, but Lan Di attacks with the same move he used to kill Iwao. Ryo is presumably killed himself. The screen then fades out to the message, “GAME OVER.”)

You can download the Bad Ending here;
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... ending.zip

Q. Is it possible to stay up beyond Ine-san’s 11:30pm curfew?
Yes, but only at a specific point in the game, and even then you can only stay up until 4am. While looking for sailors, you may have to succeed at the billiards challenge at MJQ Jazz Bar. You are told to go to Heartbeats bar, but you can put this off and stay up until 4am if you so desire. Something fairly interesting is that you can see the owners of both the Slot House and the YOU Arcade walking home. You can also spot Tom, who dances home :P

Q. I can’t unlock a certain movie/music track on the Passport disc! Help!
A. Use this FAQ, it should help you getting the ones that are easily missed;
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcas ... ssport.txt

Q. Does the kitten ever die?
No, but you’ll notice that when you start working at the harbor, it is no longer at the shrine. If you talk to Megumi there the day before you meet Goro and your job starts, she tells you that her mother has now allowed the kitten to live at their house.

Q. Where does Nozomi live?
She presumably lives above the flower shop, as neither her or her grandmother are seen leaving the building after closing time. Also, if you call Nozomi on the phone when you are meant to ask her about the black car, she tells you to come to the shop, supporting the theory she lives there.
If you are curious as to where other characters live, I have complied a list;
http://home.graffiti.net/milesprower/s1 ... swhere.htm

Q. How do I trigger the scene where Ichiro and Naoyuki visit Ryo’s home?
A. This is a cut scene that most people seem to miss. Your friends, Naoyuki Ito
and Ichiro visit you at your house and you chat in the lounge. To get it you
need to go to Yokosuka Bar after 7pm the day after Nozomi's cut scene in the
Sakuragaoka Park on disc two. This is around the time you are learning and trying
to get in the New Warehouse #8. (I recommend leaving the harbor before attempting to get into the Warehouse) In the bar, Akemi will tell you that Fuku-san
called and that your friends are waiting at your house. Then you are taken
there automatically and the cut-scene starts.

Q. How many scenes are there with Nozomi in Sakuragaoka Park?
There are two. The first is triggered on Disc 2, if you go home from the harbor when you first get there, without finding Warehouse #8. If it’s after 7pm when you get home, the phone will ring. Answer it by the tenth ring, and Nozomi will ask you to meet her at Sakuragaoka Park. You’re sent there automatically, and after the scene you are forced to sleep. The second can only be triggered after December 25th; as Nozomi comments on how the two of you didn’t get to spend Christmas together. Simply pass by Sakuragaoka Park after 7pm and the scene will trigger. You may have to talk to Eri first, who can be found standing outside the arcade in the evenings at this point in the game.

Q. How many battles are there with Enoki/Nagashima?
There are two; and many people miss the second. Here is how to get both of them;
There are two free battles with Enoki and Nagashima that a lot of people
miss. The first occurs on disc one and in it Ryo saves Nozomi. Simply go to
Sakuragaoka Park before 7pm the first sunny (or snowy, this happens to me which was
odd) day after the Heartbeats event. What is important is that it's a sunny day.
I suggest changing to both weather modes to see if you can get a sunny day.
If you get this free battle, the cut scene is added to the passport disc, as
is the music. The second free battle also occurs on disc one. It occurs after
Ine-san gives you the letter and Charlie ambushes you in Sakuragaoka. You will
only receive this free battle if you completed the previous one. After 7pm, you
have to go to a patch of grass at the Wakaba Apartments in Dobuita. This is on
the path from Sakuragaoka nearest the You Arcade and if you go there normally
at night, you will see Enoki and his "gang" hanging out there.

Q. Can you learn a move from the “Mysterious Scroll”?
A. Okay, first off, for those who don’t know, you can find this scroll in the Dojo behind the “Eight Principles of Yin and Yang” picture. Phone Gui Zhang around the time you are looking for a ticket to Hong Kong, and you will be told to come to Old Warehouse #8. When you go, Gui Zhang translates the text on the Mysterious Scroll. It is written in the form of a poem, so you can’t actually learn a move from it; Gui Zhang tells you you’d need to find the master of the move. Perhaps in a future Shenmue game…

Q. Is it possible to beat Chai at the YOU Arcade?
A. As hard as it may seem, it is indeed possible. Here’s some good tips;
It is possible to beat Chai, the first time you fight him, in the You Arcade.
I have found the easiest way is to train the Crawl Cyclone move, available
from the Bunkado Antiques shop, to moderate level and then set it to the R
button. Then, when facing Chai, do not start an attack, defend his attack,
then hit the R button. Of course, you can vary your attacks, however, punches
and combos he generally blocks and high kicks go over his head; therefore use
low kicks, and possible throws if u can utilise them properly. Learning how
to defend successfully is the most important aspect. I recommend saving the
game just before you meet Chai, so you can repeat the fight over. Once Chai
is defeated, you have to free the Arcade owner and go on a search for Chai,
which leads you to the Asia Travel Co as usual, however, Ryo's attitude changes
after he beats Chai and is quite cool.

Chai still escapes, and Ryo unties the arcade owner who was behind the plants. “Jimmy’s one of them.” he tells Ryo. It is worth talking to as many people as you can before heading to Asia Travel, as you get some fairly amusing conversations (particularly with Sawano-san at Hokuhoku Lunches!

Q. Who is it with Iwao in the photo you find in the basement? And what does it say on the back?
A. No one knows who it is with Iwao, but two strong possibilities are Shenhua's father, or Lan Di's father; Zhao Sun Ming. The text on the back of the photo actually reads "At Bailu Village"=if you look at the back of the photo in the Xbox version of Shenmue II, this translation pops up on the screen) Bailu Village of course, is where Shenhua lives; and we know that Iwao and Zhao travelled to Guilin together.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue