Release: Shenmue 1 BETA 0.400

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Release: Shenmue 1 BETA 0.400

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 am

Nothing special about this its just the final version of the game with a debbug menu added by some guy, if its was a beta it would be in japanese, I can't believe there's people selling this fakes discs and asking to much for them.
But this is good to people that want to play on beta areas (yes they are also on the final version of the game, sega left to much trash on the discs) and don't want or don't know how to mod the game.
Last edited by Shenmue_Saga on Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby wude » Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 am

this version is perfect for modding, does it work on nulldc?
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby ys » Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks a lot for this guys! This was one of the only things still missing from my Shenmue collection (excluding some things I don't care much about like Japanese telephone cards, key straps,...). And as if that was not enough megaupload decided to give me a great download speed too going over 1MB/s :beerchug:
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Shendream » Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 am

wude wrote:this version is perfect for modding, does it work on nulldc?

Yes my dear Wude, this beta is also perfect for a translation ( spanish, french, german, italian and others )
If someone is interested, you can download all the tools ( with all the explanations ) here:

http://shenmuesubs.sourceforge.net/
Last edited by Shendream on Mon May 09, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shendream
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon May 09, 2011 11:57 am

At first sorry for the rather confusing "scene list", i made it for my own notes when looking at the beta. TO explain the SCENE/ENTRY system a bit... "SCENE" is always the scene folder on your disc. So if you insert disc 1 the "SCENE" value has to be "01", you only have the "01" folder in your scenes folder. For disc 2 and 3 this is obviously "02" and "03" accordingly. WHat you dont see in this release is that the passport disc uses "99" which are cutscenes (The ones you see when you pick them from the passport menu if you have a savegame with some cutscenes already completed). A noteworthy exception is the "What's shenmue" disc as it has all scenes in "80".

The "ENTRY" or "ENTER" value is the scene entry point. Default is always "00" which should always be present. "01" would be an alternate entry point. I experimented a bit with this, some scenes obviously have several entry points, so in Yamanose you could come from the Hazuki residence or from Sakuragaoka, so it has at least 2 entry points. Some entry points are invalid, others are "beta", for example i had one in the Sakuragaoka Beta where Ryo was standing in the air. Usually such "bad" entry points will still load the scene but make you unable to move so its quite pointless.

The 4 character code is the corresponding internal name of the scene as it exists in for example the "SCENE/01" folder. Not all of such scenes are "playable" though, for example if you try to load "VEND" it always crashes i think, this should be the "Beverage vending machine" scene which is however just some resources, so it can not be loaded on its own.

You can "mix" other scenes into the disc. I made a hybrid of the Shenmue 1 Beta CD 1 and Whats shenmue, so i had all files on one disc and could load the Whats Shenmue scenes from the beta debug menu. As you can imagine some elements like the charcter resources overlap though and as such might result in odd stuff like persons without a head or improper textures and such. Actually you can mix up all Shenmue 1 discs, so also the japanese version, Whats Shenmue, "US Shenmue" and so on if you want to, just need to recompile a CDI out of it. In an emulator size wont matter, you can as well make a very large CDI (My Whats SHenmue S1D1 hybrid is like 1.3 GB). Just Shenmue 2 derivates will be incompatible with this.

This will run fine in NullDC, so just to take a peek you dont need to burn the discs.

As i said earlier - i think the "0.400" is not the real "built" of this release prolly rather something the ebay seller thought of, it is actually rather a "last Quality assurance" testing release, as you can see it is 99% identical to the final english release version, so it's rather like "Beta 0.950". Only thing i immediately noticed to be a tad different from the final release is the transparency handling, Ryo seems to be much more transparent when walking and running around. Well the only difference most of you will notice is the debug menu which lets you load a scene. There seems to be another option in it which however didnt work for me.

And I am 100% sure that this was kind of "QA" or "testing" release for internal SEGA employees, not just "some debug menu put in by some guy".

And i deleted some of the inappropriate posts. If you guys just wanna swear then please stick to the junk forum. If you don't like this release or any of the persons involved then go tell your hamster or whatever.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Myles » Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm

I think it's hilarious you deleted one of Blue's posts =D>

I agree, that type of posts are junk, maybe General discussion worthy... they just seem cheap here.

I think it's great what you guys have done here. It's inspiring to see the commitment made to Shenmue here.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Mon May 09, 2011 12:44 pm

nulldc 104 dosen't have a gdr plugin, so i need to build a bootable cdi or mds/mdf, i think it would be great if people can move in the beta areas.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Isn't it enough with the beta name's maps to start in these areas?
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby wude » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Fenix wrote:Isn't it enough with the beta name's maps to start in these areas?

ryo can't move, for me at least :?:
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Thank you thank you thank you so much for this.
And thank you for confirming this as an actual QA beta. As you know previously I was skeptical of its legitimacy.
Im downloading it now and will be using it.
I love that we can have this out now and for free as it should be.
Thank you Fenix,Shendream and Kyodai. Much appriciated.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Can any new discoveries, or new information be gathered from this beta? :-k
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Fenix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:05 pm

wude wrote:
Fenix wrote:Isn't it enough with the beta name's maps to start in these areas?

ryo can't move, for me at least :?:

Oops! Maybe if you put diferent ENTRY...

AXM that was nothing for me, (for Shendream, Sizious, Kyodai, Kakuzawa and Ziming it was harder :lol: ).
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fenix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Peter wrote:Can any new discoveries, or new information be gathered from this beta? :-k

Nothing important. Just some minor changes... for now!

Look at the video at 3:30.
The wall or garage with "mad angel" graffiti disapeared.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Fenix wrote:AXM that was nothing for me, (for Shendream, Sizious, Kyodai, Kakuzawa and Ziming it was harder :lol: ).

Well without your initial investment we wouldn't be this far eh? ;-)

I suppose theirs no bike to ride is there? \:D/
Considering its a near final build I guess we wont be able to find that. Still though, it's great to see it in an unfinished form. Gives us a sense of how they built the game.

Im interesting in now going through it, finding bugs and then switching back to the retail release to see if they are still there. :twisted:
Ricky Ricardo voice: Seeeeggaaa you have some splaining to dooo...
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Fenix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Bike was the first thing I looked for :lol:
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext