I am playing through the import

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

I am playing through the import

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri May 02, 2003 12:09 am

I am playing through the import version of Shenmue 1 to see if there are any differences between the english version... and I have already seen a few... frist the coke machines are acutally Coca-Cola one of the other things I noticed was that I couldnt lock on to as many things while walking about outside like at Abes Store I couldnt lock on to see what the name of the place I was looking at was... but nothing really to different... oh yeah the loading screens are different too... OH! and i almost forget... TOM! that guy can not speak good japanese like he will mix english and japanese together... it sounds so weird when he talks... well I will update more info as I find it as soon I can clear some memory on my VMU...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby nuts_to_that » Fri May 02, 2003 1:05 am

If you liked Chai's English voice, you may be slightly disappointed with his Japanese voice. Also, I thought that Fuku-san doesn't sound like an airhead in his Japanese voice (:().
nuts_to_that
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Fri May 02, 2003 3:00 am

I really wanna hear the Japanese voices myself, there should have been a choice of what voices you wanted...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Silas » Fri May 02, 2003 8:09 am

You don't need an import. At least in the UK, if you get Shenmue IIx including Shenmue: The Movie on DVD, there is a Japanese soundtrack.

I must say I hadn't particularly noticed Fuku-san's voice. Tom and Mark both pepper their talk with Englishisms (they are both supposed to be American, after all.) One thing that I thought was quite good, was the Mad Angels threatening Ryo, some of them actually sound quite American - I don't know if they're Japanese-speaking Americans or Japanese actors doing American accents.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Fri May 02, 2003 8:53 am

I have a copied VCD with Shenmue the Movie on it, I'll have to see if I can change the voices to Japanese...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Silas » Fri May 02, 2003 8:57 am

I'd say that was doubtful.

Nobody here mentioned the Japanese soundtrack before I found it for myself, so I'm not even sure if it's available on US versions.
Last edited by Silas on Fri May 02, 2003 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shotaro Kaneda » Fri May 02, 2003 9:02 am

On a VCD you cannot normally change the dubbing or subtitles as they are burnt straight onto the disk as with my Once Upon A Time In China 5 VCD, its official, and has subtitles burnt onto the film.
Shotaro Kaneda
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Silas » Fri May 02, 2003 10:47 am

And I meant to say that I would guess a VCD would just include a straight burn of the soundtrack, but Shotaro actually knows. Cheers, Shotaro.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby nuts_to_that » Fri May 02, 2003 12:15 pm

Nevermind what I said earlier. I've been listening to Fuku-san's Japanese FREE Quest speech and I think he sounds just fine now. I can rest in peace now because I think he sounds like an airhead (which is a good thing according to me).

Remember that post about looking into the eyes of a Passport character and being able to see someone in the reflection? I still can't see anything! Am I blind? I've tried it with both the Japanese and US Passport discs with my VGA box, and I still see nothing.
nuts_to_that
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Fri May 02, 2003 12:28 pm

It only happens with certain characters, the person-in-the-eye thing. Shenhua's one of em.
Oh and dang, looks like I'll have to get the actual DVD..I really wanna hear the Japanese voices without the hassle of importing the game.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri May 02, 2003 4:05 pm

luckily down here in ATL we have import stores that I cna buy games at... so it makes it even easier to get it...they didnt have Shenmue 2 unforutunatley but I can get them to request a copy for me if I want it... which I will probably do sometime soon
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

hey

Postby Inspectorpokey » Tue May 20, 2003 9:40 am

I heard in the imported version of shenmue 1 that Tom is not a hot dog stand owner but he is actually a pimp and he is pimping honey-san?
Inspectorpokey
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenmueAddict » Tue May 20, 2003 10:25 am

LOL!!, your kidding right?
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby Inspectorpokey » Tue May 20, 2003 10:30 am

nope i am dead serious i reac it on a forum from shenmuedojo bout 6months ago saying that tom is pimping honey-san
Inspectorpokey
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Silas » Tue May 20, 2003 10:33 am

OK, everyone make quick guesses as to which poster or posters might have said something like that! :lol:

Bill?
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue