Greetings!

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Greetings!

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:00 pm

Yo, new to this particular forum, but not to Shenmue. I've been playing the game on my Dreamcast since it first came out. Oddly enough, I can never, ever get enough of this game. While my other games get played a few times, I've played the hell out of this thing all these years and I'm still discovering new things! That's extremely rare to me. :lol:

Unfortunatly, I haven't really played Shenmue II yet. (I rented it and got up to a point where you had to raise 40,000 yen to meet someone, but I couldn't save the game and had to return it...) Though I will be ordering a brand spanking new copy soon since I'm dieing to see what's going to happen to Ryo.

Anyways, back to S1. I have two questions.

1. I'm trying to find the free battle where you fight the two thugs to save Nozomi at the park. I read a FAQ that said I go to the park after the Heartbeats Event on the first sunny day. Now, is this when Ryo goes to the Heartbeats Bar to look for sailors? Also, while playing through a recent game, I didn't even run into the thugs near the Tomato Convienance Mart. Odd.

2. What's the name of the song during the main menu? (The mysterious song, y'know, that plays at "Press Start".)

And one more thing, I'm a Flash Animator and have a series called Ghostbusters: The Animated Series over at Newgrounds. (Not that much of you will care about that. :P) Well, I was searching through the archives and found pratically no Shenmue Flashes and I thought to myself,"Why not make one?"

I have a philosophy about certain topics in Flash Animation: If you want something done right, get a bunch of fans together and collabrate on a single toon. (It's worked great for my Ghostbusters series so far.)

So I kinda wanted to know if you guys would like to work with me on a Shenmue Flash. It'd be more a comedic approach to Ryo's journey. (Making fun of the dubbing, certain characters, Ryo himself, etc.) I already have a art style set for it. (Chibi.)

So...erhm...anyone interested...?
Brad Redfield
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Greetings!

Postby LanDC » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:35 pm

Welcome to the Shenmue Dojo.

Brad Redfield wrote:Unfortunatly, I haven't really played Shenmue II yet. (I rented it and got up to a point where you had to raise 40,000 yen to meet someone, but I couldn't save the game and had to return it...) Though I will be ordering a brand spanking new copy soon since I'm dieing to see what's going to happen to Ryo.

Eh? 40,000 yen? The currency in Shenmue II isn't yen. It's HK dollars. Anyway, I think you mean $500 to meet Ren.

Brad Redfield wrote:I'm trying to find the free battle where you fight the two thugs to save Nozomi at the park. I read a FAQ that said I go to the park after the Heartbeats Event on the first sunny day. Now, is this when Ryo goes to the Heartbeats Bar to look for sailors?

Sakuragaoka park on a non-rainy day after the Heartbeats QTE. Yes, looking for sailors is the only time that you have to go to Heartbeats.

Brad Redfield wrote:What's the name of the song during the main menu? (The mysterious song, y'know, that plays at "Press Start".)

I don't think it has a name. I assume it'd be best to just address it as "Main Menu" or something like that.

Brad Redfield wrote:So I kinda wanted to know if you guys would like to work with me on a Shenmue Flash. It'd be more a comedic approach to Ryo's journey. (Making fun of the dubbing, certain characters, Ryo himself, etc.) I already have a art style set for it. (Chibi.)

Urr... I think I'll pass on this one. ;)
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:00 pm

LanDC wrote:Welcome to the Shenmue Dojo.

Brad Redfield wrote:Unfortunatly, I haven't really played Shenmue II yet. (I rented it and got up to a point where you had to raise 40,000 yen to meet someone, but I couldn't save the game and had to return it...) Though I will be ordering a brand spanking new copy soon since I'm dieing to see what's going to happen to Ryo.

Eh? 40,000 yen? The currency in Shenmue II isn't yen. It's HK dollars. Anyway, I think you mean $500 to meet Ren.

Brad Redfield wrote:I'm trying to find the free battle where you fight the two thugs to save Nozomi at the park. I read a FAQ that said I go to the park after the Heartbeats Event on the first sunny day. Now, is this when Ryo goes to the Heartbeats Bar to look for sailors?

Sakuragaoka park on a non-rainy day after the Heartbeats QTE. Yes, looking for sailors is the only time that you have to go to Heartbeats.

Brad Redfield wrote:What's the name of the song during the main menu? (The mysterious song, y'know, that plays at "Press Start".)

I don't think it has a name. I assume it'd be best to just address it as "Main Menu" or something like that.

Brad Redfield wrote:So I kinda wanted to know if you guys would like to work with me on a Shenmue Flash. It'd be more a comedic approach to Ryo's journey. (Making fun of the dubbing, certain characters, Ryo himself, etc.) I already have a art style set for it. (Chibi.)

Urr... I think I'll pass on this one. ;)

Thanks for the answers! (Sorry about the currency mix-up, I haven't played the game in two years.) And I'm guessing your not too hot on the animation idea? :?
Brad Redfield

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:04 pm

I'll be looking foward to the flash.

Heh, if you need any voiceactors, give me a ring. A friend of mine is sorta becoming famous in "legendaryfrog.com" with that too, so i'll call him up if you want.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:11 pm

Kensuke NOL wrote:I'll be looking foward to the flash.

Heh, if you need any voiceactors, give me a ring. A friend of mine is sorta becoming famous in "legendaryfrog.com" with that too, so i'll call him up if you want.

I'll keep that in mind! (And really? I used to go to LF's forum. :lol: )

But for now, I need to bash up a form of a script to work with before looking for voice actors.
Brad Redfield

Postby LanDC » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:13 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:Thanks for the answers! (Sorry about the currency mix-up, I haven't played the game in two years.)

No problem. That's completely understandable. Anyway, you were about 90% finished with disc 2. There's still alot of great material left in Shenmue II that you'll definitely enjoy.

Brad Redfield wrote:And I'm guessing your not too hot on the animation idea? :?

No, not really. I'm not one for making fun of Shenmue.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:18 pm

With all the funny quotes I see here (like the one I found here in my sig) and everywhere else, it will be too easy.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:30 pm

LanDC wrote:
Brad Redfield wrote:Thanks for the answers! (Sorry about the currency mix-up, I haven't played the game in two years.)

No problem. That's completely understandable. Anyway, you were about 90% finished with disc 2. There's still alot of great material left in Shenmue II that you'll definitely enjoy.

Brad Redfield wrote:And I'm guessing your not too hot on the animation idea? :?

No, not really. I'm not one for making fun of Shenmue.

Well, maybe "making fun of" was too strong of a statement. "Parody" would suit it more. :lol:

And thanks, I can't wait to get my hands on the game again. (Such a shame they didn't release it on DC here.)

@ Kensuke NOL: Yeah, really. :lol: I'll write up something, post it here for you guys to judge and even let you guys re-write to your liking.
Brad Redfield

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:49 pm

welcome to the dojo brad
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:26 pm

Samanosuke Akechi wrote:welcome to the dojo brad

Thanks!

Here's a first draft scriptment for the Prologue. Enjoy! (Attached)

EDIT: I meant to put Part Two: The Search instead of Chapter One.
Attachments
shenmuecpt1.doc
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Brad Redfield

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:17 pm

Yo dude, this is good!! And normally I don't throw compliments all over the place.

The only beef I have is with the beginning with Shenhua and the fighting part with Iwoa and Lan Di.

With Shenhua, I like the bird thing. But (my suggestion) it would be cool if she slapped the eagle away or something then a heard of eagles come after her, sorta like in Alfred Hitchcock's "Birds".

Maybe when the eagle gets her hat, it looks like she's bald. She chases after the eagle, and out of scene you hear her smacking it around to get it back, then come back and fit it back on. Then when she tries to continue, a flock of eagles come in and we can see the wounded one. So it turns out she was in an eagle inhibited mountain and disturbed the nest, then she runs like hell.

And for the fighting, I dunno if you deliberately did this, but there's not enough humor. Maybe you wanna go for emotional here, I dunno, but just another suggestion to add some humor within the fight too.

Heh, I just thought of something where Fuku-san gets kicked out and he breaks his neck.
Then he says to Ryo "Ryo-san, I think I broke my neck". Which in turn, Ryo stares and eventually says "I see." before going back in the dojo.

Other than that, I liked it alot! The ryo scenes seem like they can be gold!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Brad Redfield » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:59 pm

Kensuke NOL wrote:Yo dude, this is good!! And normally I don't throw compliments all over the place.

The only beef I have is with the beginning with Shenhua and the fighting part with Iwoa and Lan Di.

With Shenhua, I like the bird thing. But (my suggestion) it would be cool if she slapped the eagle away or something then a heard of eagles come after her, sorta like in Alfred Hitchcock's "Birds".

Maybe when the eagle gets her hat, it looks like she's bald. She chases after the eagle, and out of scene you hear her smacking it around to get it back, then come back and fit it back on. Then when she tries to continue, a flock of eagles come in and we can see the wounded one. So it turns out she was in an eagle inhibited mountain and disturbed the nest, then she runs like hell.

And for the fighting, I dunno if you deliberately did this, but there's not enough humor. Maybe you wanna go for emotional here, I dunno, but just another suggestion to add some humor within the fight too.

Heh, I just thought of something where Fuku-san gets kicked out and he breaks his neck.
Then he says to Ryo "Ryo-san, I think I broke my neck". Which in turn, Ryo stares and eventually says "I see." before going back in the dojo.

Other than that, I liked it alot! The ryo scenes seem like they can be gold!

Well, I just wanted to the fighting to be straight-forward. :lol:

And I love that Fuku-san joke! I was trying to come up with something, but that is definitly better! (Same goes for the Sha-Hua and eagle bits.) You won't mind if I add that stuff in there, would you? (Just making sure. You'd get proper credit.)
Brad Redfield

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:58 pm

Sure! That'd be awesome!

Can't wait to read the continuing parts. :)

Oh yeah, would it be cool to totally exaggerate the fight scene and make it like "Crouching Tiger" or "Dragonball"-style, fighing and staying in the air or something?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Brad Redfield » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:46 am

Kensuke NOL wrote:Sure! That'd be awesome!

Can't wait to read the continuing parts. :)

Oh yeah, would it be cool to totally exaggerate the fight scene and make it like "Crouching Tiger" or "Dragonball"-style, fighing and staying in the air or something?

Awesome! I'll rewrite it soon and give you proper credit!

And I'd love to toss in "Wire-Fu", which I have a specialty at in Flash Animation, but most people would think that it's a Matrix parody, but done properly, it could work. Let me see what I can do. ;)
Brad Redfield

Postby drporkchop » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:05 am

Sorry I can't really be of much help guys, but what you've got so far sounds pretty cool. I can't wait to see the finished product! :D
drporkchop
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue