Virtua Fighter Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby AzN.Homeboy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:30 am

Gutcruncher wrote:
Zezerith wrote:Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter are beat em ups.

no they arent. beat em ups are you vs assloads of people at once. in beat em ups, you are always much stronger than your many many opponents (except bosses). fighters are generally one on one, and all of the characters are at least supposed to be balanced. it may not sound like a big difference in writing, but there is a very big difference in gameplay between streets of rage and street fighter, or virtua fighter and shinobi

Yeah, that's exactly my view. I just always figured it was pretty obvious.
AzN.Homeboy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby VGAce » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:44 am

Beat-em-ups are generally button-mashers - just jam on the buttons and you'll usually prevail. From my (little) experience with Virtua Fighter, I can tell you that if you button-mash, you'll get your ass handed to you. So yeah, I don't consider it a beat-em-up.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gingefners, The » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Maybe its just me but I always condsidered a "Beat 'em up" a game where you beat someone up weather it be one on one or multiple oppenents.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby VGAce » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:47 pm

It's really a superficial term, a sub-division of the "Fighter" genre, but there is a difference. Ever played Zombie Revenge, Streets of Rage, or Golden Axe? Those are beat-em-ups. As opposed to games like Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter, or Street Fighter, which are considered regular fighters. Like I said, it's just a term used to describe the gameplay of a particular game.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:29 pm

I've often thought of this myself, but it would be best to wait for ALL characters to be introduced (if it ever happens).
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby TapamN » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:25 am

Mr. Fr0zen wrote:Shenmue and virtua fighter are basically the same. Ryo is Akira, Lan Di is Lau, and Xiuying is Aoi.

What? Xiuying isn't Aoi; Xiuying is Akira and Ryo is Dural. Xiuying teaches Ryo Akira's high right punch reversal. (Akira's left punch reversal is like using Y to duck a punch, then X to uppercut.) The Elbow Assult's Japanese name is Rimonchochu, and Counter Elbow Assult is Gaimonchochu. Ryo fights with a combination of moves from everyone, as Dural does. And Baihu also fights like Lau (Well, no duh, I guess. Both use Koenken;) same combos and throws.

I could go on and compare Ryo's moves to VFer's moves, but I need to get offline.
TapamN
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:01 pm

Calm down.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Akira was definitely the main character back when the game was Virtua Fighter RPG, that's already certain.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TapamN » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:12 pm

I know Ryo was based off of Akira. I just meant that Ryo in battle is more like Dural then Akira based off their move sets. Ryo and Dural have moves like Kage's Vortex Throw and Jacky's backfist (The move done with b+X+A, I can't remember the Shenmue name,) were as Akira does not.

I was talking about fighting style before. I have trouble remembering to put details like that in whenever I write.
TapamN
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:57 am

TapamN wrote:I know Ryo was based off of Akira. I just meant that Ryo in battle is more like Dural then Akira based off their move sets. Ryo and Dural have moves like Kage's Vortex Throw and Jacky's backfist (The move done with b+X+A, I can't remember the Shenmue name,) were as Akira does not.

I was talking about fighting style before. I have trouble remembering to put details like that in whenever I write.

Ohh right sorry, yeah I see what you mean.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Staplerfahrer Klaus » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:26 pm

No, simply because I HATE fighting games.
Staplerfahrer Klaus
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:54 pm

I rather it be a sprite based mini-game in the arcade or something rather than a real 3D model smash-em-up.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Previous

Return to Shenmue