Chi You Men symbol?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:17 pm

LanDC wrote:
Kiyuu wrote:Anyway, I found a little image that is more similar to the symbol of the "Chi You Men."

That it does bare a close resemblance to Shenmue's Chi You Men symbol. Where does this image originate from? Or was it just found through an image search?

Yes, I did some image searches. At first, I found a similar image in red for "蚩尤 (Chi You),"
but couldn't paste it here. Then, I searched for "chi woo," or "chiwoo," as Wikipedia says
"蚩尤" is called "Chi Woo" in Korea. Thus I found that image. 8)

http://www.reddevil.or.kr/webzine/wz_dic1/main.php3

Interestingly, the image is used by football (soccer) fans in Korea. See this:

http://home.freechal.com/reddevilseoul/

Now, you know why the image has a ball, don't you? ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mythical Being » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:42 pm

Noooooo Lan Di is going to revive the ancient football demon!!!
Mythical Being
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LanDC » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:04 pm

Hey, perhaps that's how the final "battle" will take place. Ryo and Lan Di will push aside their differences and have a nice game of soccer! No one has to die. ;)

Seriously, isn't it funny how Huang Di rebelled against Chi You, while Lan Di is trying to resurrect him? :D
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Leon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Wow, that is a really close resemblance to Lan Di's tattoo.. amazing find Kiyuu, that just might be the same Chi You that Sega is thinking of.

Interesting that there is Chi You in Korean culture as well. Does anyone have any more information about the Chinese Chi You?
Leon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jobo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:39 pm

I think the first image Kiyuu posted, the one of the Chinese Chi You game, also bears a fair amount of resemblance to the image, it's just that the other black and white one is at an angle and styled in a similar way to the SI symbol. But both look like it.

What am I talking about? I'm scared.
Jobo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Strider » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:00 pm

LPR-309 wrote:To me it looks like a demonic warrior (Chi You? "Monster" is too subjective, but then we don't exactly know the full extent of the Chi You legend). Notice how the head resembles a warrior's helmet, and the weapons behind it (two swords' blades and 3 spears).

ya to me it looks like a demonic warrior. *hopes fights it in shenmue 3* that would be cool
Strider
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Leon » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:02 am

I've just been through Peter's thread Shenmue research/Chiyou etc and there was a comment in the thread:

Peter, I wouldn't put so much importance on the dragon if I were you. Dragons are good, benign and lucky creatures according to the Chinese. That dragon which brought Huang Di to the heavens is not Chi You.

Chi You is described as more of a giant with a large hammer and wearing animal skins.

A Chi You monster carrying a weapon would indicate a sort of demon like creature with human limbs, similar with the Chi You images Kiyuu posted earlier.
The idea of an all powerful Chinese Demon is quite interesting, i've only known so far Chinese mythical beasts such as dragons and phoenix.
This Chi You monster, one would usually find in Western style fantasys such as the Balrog in LOTR.
Leon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Capsule Toys Maniac » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:36 am

Anyone remember that site about the Miao people?

http://www.hmongcenter.org/infoonkingchi.html

I don't have the time to look further into it but if someone is interested and want to try to find something new.
Capsule Toys Maniac

Postby VGAce » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:38 am

Leon wrote:I've just been through Peter's thread Shenmue research/Chiyou etc and there was a comment in the thread:

Peter, I wouldn't put so much importance on the dragon if I were you. Dragons are good, benign and lucky creatures according to the Chinese. That dragon which brought Huang Di to the heavens is not Chi You.

Chi You is described as more of a giant with a large hammer and wearing animal skins.

A Chi You monster carrying a weapon would indicate a sort of demon like creature with human limbs, similar with the Chi You images Kiyuu posted earlier.
The idea of an all powerful Chinese Demon is quite interesting, i've only known so far Chinese mythical beasts such as dragons and phoenix.
This Chi You monster, one would usually find in Western style fantasys such as the Balrog in LOTR.

Sounds kind of like an Oni in Japanese mythology.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:38 pm

Fuck me, you lot really read into Shenmue a lot, especially Kiyuu. How have you all dug up this info? And what's this Chi You game all about? Maybe it holds clues to the future of Shenmue.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Smeghead » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:47 pm

Strider wrote:*hopes fights it in shenmue 3* that would be cool

Personally i would hate to fight something like that...Shenmue is supposed to be realistic, not fantasy. The 7-star-sword thing was already pretty dumb
Smeghead
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:56 pm

I agree with Dark Oblivion, then again, watching the intro to the first Shenmue (the one with Shenhua), it does make it sound like a fantasy story.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Leon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Dark Oblivion wrote:
Strider wrote:*hopes fights it in shenmue 3* that would be cool

Personally i would hate to fight something like that...Shenmue is supposed to be realistic, not fantasy. The 7-star-sword thing was already pretty dumb

I'm sure Yu Suzuki will find a good balance. After all, Yu Suzuki should know of all people that Shenmue is a 'realistic' game, all the real life detail in Shenmue didn't happen by accident, it was lovingly crafted by Yu Suzuki.
Leon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Shenmue