The Shenmue Passport

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby ëéè » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:08 am

Just because I just joined doesn't mean I'm any more stupid than you posting on a forum. I've also owned Shenmue since it came out. But let's not start a quarrell.
Last edited by ëéè on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ëéè
Master of the Three Blades

Postby cornchipz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 am

Yeah, I'm just saying, you're a lot better then the general n00b here.... *cough cough DRAGON LIGHT cough*
cornchipz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: Cornchipz
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ëéè » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:12 am

I sure do hope the passport being resurrected is a symbol for something.
ëéè

Postby cornchipz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:16 am

zOMGZzZz!!!!11i TZ shenMOO 1iI!
cornchipz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiyuu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:52 am

Wolfgame wrote:my big question right now is, how can I axcess this stuff without dial up, or the broadband adapter for the dreamcast?

Do you want to try this method?

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/foru ... 355#663355
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Phinn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:59 am

Wow, just heard the news via NTSC-UK. Pretty amazing stuff :) It has to be linked to some kind of Shenmue revival rather the Dreamcast per se.

Sega is reselling the Dreamcast via Sega Direct in Japan, bundled with a couple of recent games, but since Under Defeat is officially the last Dreamcast game, I suspect they're just getting rid of any last remaining stock.

Now my only problem is getting on my DC online. I only got it last year and I've never taken it online in any shape or form. Looks like I'll have to invest in a broadband adaptor. Anyone have any experience using them? I have a copy of Dreamkey 3.0 if that's required.
Phinn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Fatalist » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 am

This is fantastic news! Thanks Sakuragaoka and LanDC for all the info, is great to see the Passport coming back. I have to try it, since a long time ago I only use BBA for DC online but for this very special occasion I will return to use the DC modem :D

Welcome to Shenmue Dojo Negora ;)
Fatalist
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby lp1945 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:17 am

Phinn wrote:Wow, just heard the news via NTSC-UK. Pretty amazing stuff :) It has to be linked to some kind of Shenmue revival rather the Dreamcast per se.

Sega is reselling the Dreamcast via Sega Direct in Japan, bundled with a couple of recent games, but since Under Defeat is officially the last Dreamcast game, I suspect they're just getting rid of any last remaining stock.

Now my only problem is getting on my DC online. I only got it last year and I've never taken it online in any shape or form. Looks like I'll have to invest in a broadband adaptor. Anyone have any experience using them? I have a copy of Dreamkey 3.0 if that's required.

Check this site for info on dreamcast online: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com

I see you live in the uk, if you have dialup just load up Dreamkey, and enter your ISP details, if you have broadband you can either try the PC-DC server or use this number to connect: 08451121212 with any username/password (charges you the same price as a phone call)

Edit: Oops, almost forgot, plug the dreamcast into the microfilter where your phone would go, not straight into the phoneline or it won't work with broadband.

As for the whole Passport thing, maybe they are releasing Shenmue 1 on LIVE Marketplace and including Passport? I can dream I guess.
lp1945
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby idrepublix » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:33 am

In perhaps related news, the direct shenmue.com wesbite is back, well and alive.

Unrelated tot he recent Passport resurrection? I think not.
idrepublix

Postby Shenman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:52 am

Great news here ! this is so good sign :)

One last thing on online (sorry), Does someone try the broadband to connect ? Or you just think this is impossible ?

Thanks in advance ! and sorry but I'd LOVE to go on Passport. :D
Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

PSN: Shenman
XBL: Shenman
Steam: Shenman
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout 4

Postby negora » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:23 am

Fatalist: Hi mate ;) . Thanks for your welcome. As always, Negora being so distrustful, ha ha ha. Fortunatelly, yesterday at night I could access the links which LanDC had published and I could check it was all true. It's all so weird... But hey, I'm happy :D . Oh, I got the www.shenmue.es domain some time ago for a personal project which I had to cancel. If "Shenmue" comes back to life, maybe we and more people should make like a little tribute to it ;) .

Something which I love is this fact open many doors to very kind of rumours:

"Shenmue" being published again for Dreamcast or another platform?
A compilation of "Shenmue" for another platform?
A compilation plus "Shenmue 3" for another platform?
Just "Shenmue 3" with this extra for another platform?

I hope it isn't just a non-official action from some Shenmue lovers in SEGA... And if it's then, than you men! :D

About the European version: Ops, I forgot to ask. My memory is really bad. I just was guessing about Dreamarena and its authentication methods. Didn't "Shenmue Passport" PAL required it? If so, European users are gonna get sick about this :P .
negora

Postby Beck » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:27 am

Wow... After four years it's being revived?!

Really interesting stuff. I'll probably load it up and check it out at some point seeing as I can't remember most fo the stuff that was in there.

Nice find! I'll be following this news :)
Beck
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby lp1945 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:58 am

negora wrote:
About the European version: Ops, I forgot to ask. My memory is really bad. I just was guessing about Dreamarena and its authentication methods. Didn't "Shenmue Passport" PAL required it? If so, European users are gonna get sick about this :P .

I have the PAL version and can get on it.

If you were a subscriber to dreamarena or bought Phantasy Star Online ver.2 you got a copy of Dreamkey 3.0 which allowed you to enter your own ISP details.
lp1945
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ac2u » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:03 pm

I hope they edit the...

★ Shenmue network service discontinued ★

Thank you for using the Shenmue Passport. Shenmue network service will ended as of April 1, 2002. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your understanding, and we hope you enjoy future SEGA-AM2 games.

*Only the [Passport] feature in Shenmue Passport will be discontinued.
[Passport] includes Shenmue World, Online Manual, Nozomi’s Messages, Network Ranking, Everyone’s Space, shenmue.com, Data Review and Urgent Messages.

The following features will still be available: Information, Music and Theater

Inquiries: Dreamcast customer service
E-mail: [email protected]
800 number: 1-800-USA-SEGA

on http://www.shenmue.com/eng/s1_eng.html soon enough. This would signify the first time someone has actually edited one of the core pages of the site! (Apart from updating the Copyright years)
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby cornchipz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:31 pm

I'm still kind of weirded out by the whole thing, and don't know what to take on it. I mean, its a totally weird sign, since no one even knows what the fuck a dreamcast is anymore, yet sega is putting money to revive an old service.

In other news, yesturday when playing Half-Life, I realized my DC doesnt have a break away controller. I also realized that Dreamcasts dont fly to well.
cornchipz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue