The Shenmue Passport

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby code l name » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Strange, strange, strange. There is really nothing more to say.
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Phinn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:01 pm

ac2u wrote:I hope they edit the...

★ Shenmue network service discontinued ★

Thank you for using the Shenmue Passport. Shenmue network service will ended as of April 1, 2002. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your understanding, and we hope you enjoy future SEGA-AM2 games.

*Only the [Passport] feature in Shenmue Passport will be discontinued.
[Passport] includes Shenmue World, Online Manual, Nozomi’s Messages, Network Ranking, Everyone’s Space, shenmue.com, Data Review and Urgent Messages.

The following features will still be available: Information, Music and Theater

Inquiries: Dreamcast customer service
E-mail: [email protected]
800 number: 1-800-USA-SEGA

on http://www.shenmue.com/eng/s1_eng.html soon enough. This would signify the first time someone has actually edited one of the core pages of the site! (Apart from updating the Copyright years)

Presumably that'll be changed when they have finished reactivating the service? Hopefully it will give some explanation as well.
Phinn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Phinn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:05 pm

Twist05 wrote:
SEGA CORPORATION
Kawano Junshi [email protected]

I found this:

[ JPNIC database provides information regarding IP address and ASN. Its use ]
[ is restricted to network administration purposes. For further information, ]
[ use 'whois -h whois.nic.ad.jp help'. To only display English output, ]
[ add '/e' at the end of command, e.g. 'whois -h whois.nic.ad.jp xxx/e'. ]

Contact Information: [担当者情報]
a. [JPNICハンドル] JK891JP
b. [氏名] 河野 順志
c. [Last, First] Kawano, Junshi
d. [電子メイル] [email protected]
f. [組織名] 株式会社 セガ
g. [Organization] SEGA CORPORATION
k. [部署] 情報システム部
l. [Division] Information Systems Division
m. [肩書] マネージャー
n. [Title] manager
o. [電話番号] 03-5736-7082
p. [FAX番号] 03-5736-7093
y. [通知アドレス]
[最終更新] 2000/12/01 04:37:02(JST)
[email protected]

http://whois.nic.ad.jp/cgi-bin/whois_gw?key=JK891JP

But its half in Japanese. Kiyuu....?

The Japanese is the same as the English.
Phinn

Postby ëéè » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:14 pm

I think this has something to do with Shenmue Online.
ëéè
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:06 pm

But Shenmue Online has nothing to do with Shenmue I on the Dreamcast let alone its passport feature
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby alimn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Lan DC wrote:After 4 years, why is it coming back now? Puzzling, but still good news for Shenmue fans!

Is it possible that they really want to bring more than 50 Dreamcast titles including Shenmue I & II DC on 360 Live Arcade Future ...& That's why they're updating Shenmue Passport after these years!

If this happens We can be sure that Shenmue III will announce for Xbox 360 in next big game shows.
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby negora » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:40 pm

LP1945: Believe me, also "PSO" needed authentication ;) . When any PAL game connected, the Dreamarena server (authentication.dream-key.com) checked username and password stored in the Flash RAM of the console and compared this info with the one stored in the Dreamarena DB. Once Dreamarena dissappeared they just "patched" it to skip that step, processing it like an anonymous access. In fact, it needed almost one month to adapt almost all servers...

In the case of oldest games, like "Chu Chu Rocket!", since SEGA of Europe didn't plan to allow other ISPs but British Telecom in the beginning (or other who signed an agreement with them), they couldn't fix this issue at 100% because the game connected first to that authentication server and the game needed a true identification. For example I was able to connect with my already registered console, but after that, using a new one not registered in Dreamarena it was impossible.

In the case of "Quake III Arena" they did the same than in the case of "PSO". In some way, they were able to fix it.

I remembered that "Shenmue Passport" also used this kind of authentication, but I'm not sure. I think it was one of that games which could be "redirected". Anyway, what I needed to know if it connects directly to the servers in Japan without problems. And since it's possible, it's good for all European users :D .
negora

Postby b_ren » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:55 pm

alimn wrote:
Lan DC wrote:After 4 years, why is it coming back now? Puzzling, but still good news for Shenmue fans!

Is it possible that they really want to bring more than 50 Dreamcast titles including Shenmue I & II DC on 360 Live Arcade Future ...& That's why they're updating Shenmue Passport after these years!

If this happens We can be sure that Shenmue III will announce for Xbox 360 in next big game shows.

If they used Shenmue passport on 360 it would use Xbox Live and would have nothing to do with the Dreamcast Network. This will have nothing to do with Shenmue Online either.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:00 pm

Nice news! It's definitely something I'll check out soon. Maybe they're planning some re-release of Shenmue like Sony did with Ico? ;)

Otherwise it could have to do with Shenmue Online but I doubt that resurrecting the Passport features of a Dreamcast game is related to a PC game somehow. I don't think it should be shared between the versions since pc owners probably wouldn't mind too much about the VMU-stuff etc.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby alimn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 pm

B_Ren wrote:
alimn wrote:

If they used Shenmue passport on 360 it would use Xbox Live and would have nothing to do with the Dreamcast Network. This will have nothing to do with Shenmue Online either.

Doesn't need a DC game disc (Shenmue Passport) on Xbox 360 new updates?

I mean mybe they're doing a real update for Shenmue Passport to making it ready for Importing on 360.
Last edited by alimn on Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby b_ren » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:13 pm

No.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby alimn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:30 pm

First removing Shenmue.com copyright to 2006
Then updating passport that I really must go and test it now.
What will be next?

I guess coming both Shenmue I & II DC to live arcade feauture and fininshing the saga on 360 :!:
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby RyoHazuki1987 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:47 pm

I'd like to check this out but I'm pretty sure that the DC won't connect with the Planetweb 1.0 disc. I tried it a few months ago, back when I still had dial-up and I couldn't get it to work.
RyoHazuki1987
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ëéè » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:20 pm

B_Ren wrote:
alimn wrote:

Then What does it mean?????? We need answers!
ëéè

Postby Beck » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Has anyone emailed Sega about this yet?

I really wanna try this out... might get it hooked up when i have some free time.
Beck
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue