Yet more praise over Shenmue.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Yet more praise over Shenmue.

Postby Calshot » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm a long time lurker of the Dojo, and I think once I tried to register but I was just barely not old enough.

Anyways as a martial artist myself, I really have to applaud the detail that went into Shenmue.For example, on my first play-through of Shenmue II years ago, I talked to the guy who sold move scrolls in the Thousand White Building (the one with the unique character model not the other one).

When Ryo talks to him, he is surprised because he rarely sees martial artists in his shop, mostly just yellowheads stocking up on weapons. When Ryo asks how he knew he practiced martial arts, the shop owner replied that he saw how he shifted his balance when he walked. When I switched to a different school of martial arts, one of the instructors said the same thing to me and that was how he knew I was a practitioner.

I still talk to that one shop owner every play-through. I don't want to make this post even longer but I recently got another copy of Shenmue because the first copy I had was a crappy burnt copy that kept freezing and I lost years ago. When I was playing through it I found something I didn't before. I went into Fuku-san's room and looked at the wall and saw some writing that said "Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror". That really amazed me that I was still finding new things and at the minor foreshadowing.

There is something that is bugging me right now. There is an apartment complex called Maison de Ikkyu in Shenmue. What is it?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Return to Shenmue