Shenmue Chapter 2 Progress Thread

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Chapter 2 Progress Thread

Postby Erin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Okay, so the project has been on hiatus for a while mostly due to the combination of my fascination with Phantasy Star Universe and my computer's CPU fan not always turning on. However, my computer has been fairly decent to me lately and taxes are coming in, which means I'm likely to build a new computer very soon. Anyway, on to the news people clicked this thread for.

I've had the old Ryo model (shown below) but never felt very satisfied with his geometry, so I've finally decided to rebuild him from scratch (though I may use the old model for slower computers running the game). I'm nearly done with the head's geometry and this time Ryo has eye sockets for moving eyes and an open mouth that will feature teeth and a tongue; Ryo will have an animated face for speaking. Although I've never attempted this, it will be a fun learning opportunity and pushing myself is one of the more enjoyable aspects of creating a game. I'm pouring all of my love into this project as I did when I created Shenmue Zero, but with five years more experience making games and better tools, I can't wait to see how far I've come.

Not to say this is a solo project, as many Dojo members from 2007 agreed to sign on and create content or pitch in their talents to help see this project come into being.

Some of my expectations:
- Fully interactive environments not unlike Shenmue where Ryo can pick up objects and search rooms.
- A recreated diary featuring entries from Shenmue and updated with new entries for his trip on the boat.
- Similar inventory featuring many of the same items Ryo had, including the cassette tapes to listen to.
- Voice acting and text to accompany the short story; ideally, there would be a Japanese vocal track as well. Realistically, I will make it a mission to include several text translations to accompany the game for players of many langauges to enjoy. (Please contact me if you wish to translate the game into your native tongue [Spanish, German, French, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, Dutch, etc.].)
- As faithful as an experience to the Shenmue canon as possible.
- Released before 2009.
- Xbox 360 control pad support will be implemented from the beginning with the classic Dreamcast/Xbox control scheme (D-Pad [walking] + Right Stick [camera] + Right Trigger [running]).
- Cleverly placed Sega and Shenmue eastereggs.
- Original music and remixed Shenmue music.
- HDTV support and surround sound.
- Free of charge (no duh!)

And now to some of the work-in-progress images.

Actual / Recreated Boat Comparison (mostly finished boat, few proportions off, missing anchor)

The most frustrating yet somehow addicting programming experience, collision detection

The old Ryo Hazuki model, likely to be used for low graphics settings in the final build

On the boat in the back.

Three images of Ryo's new head; to feature facial animation (most likely for high graphics settings); note the head itself is over 500 polygons
Last edited by Erin on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erin
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Duchess May
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: SW Battlefront (X1)

Postby oliv3r » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:14 pm

Wow - this is looking absolutely fantastic! :D
oliv3r

Postby FRASIER » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:17 pm

I can't get excited about the deformed Ryo's face? Get Dino on it!
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby HappyKillmore » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:26 pm

I can help with German translation if you like
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby KiD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:39 pm

VERY IMPRESSIVE!

I really love when Shenmue fans do something creative to keep Shenmue alive, and I thank you for that.

I too was thinking about continuing, or restarting a Shenmue 3 manga once summer comes, so we'll see.

Can't wait to see what you accomplish! Best of luck to you.
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

hey erin

Postby ShenmueP1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:03 pm

hey i seen your model. and i see your having trouble with it well i have the original models used for both shenmue games. you can use those for your project. and all animatios that came with the shenmue series also i have all of that. im a very good scripter as well. Let me know if intrested and were all set.
ShenmueP1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Erin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:05 pm

You have the models? :O Sounds tempting, but I don't know if Sega would appreciate me using everything of theirs. The animations, however, are they BVH or something? Or bone data would be interesting.
Erin

Postby Calshot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 pm

This looks simply amazing. I wish I had talent so I could help. Maybe I could think of some moves Ryo could learn?
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Axm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:50 pm

Very very nice.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Captain Lars Kegstealer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:18 am

Calshot wrote:This looks simply amazing. I wish I had talent so I could help. Maybe I could think of some moves Ryo could learn?

Ryo probably had lots of battles on the boat to Hong Kong.
Captain Lars Kegstealer
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Erin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:35 am

Bad Cab wrote:
Calshot wrote:This looks simply amazing. I wish I had talent so I could help. Maybe I could think of some moves Ryo could learn?

Ryo probably had lots of battles on the boat to Hong Kong.

Not really, just the quick one with Chai.
Erin

Postby ShenmueP1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am

yea its illegal to use those models and even the animations and scripts! but if i would to make a game i'll most likely use it. i wana make some type of game using it. For now im just playing shenmue on my pc and moding a few things. by the way there animations are data i'll have to look for the file type though but im sure it's data
ShenmueP1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 am

Can't say the Ryo model looks much good, to be honest, but the project overall still looks promising ^^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Erin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Can't say the Ryo model looks much good, to be honest, but the project overall still looks promising ^^

I just sent an e-mail that hopefully gets to Corey Marshall to see if he would be interested in reprising his role as Ryo Hazuki for this game. This could be a big thing for our community.
Erin

Postby Andy Hughes » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Erin wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:Can't say the Ryo model looks much good, to be honest, but the project overall still looks promising ^^

I just sent an e-mail that hopefully gets to Corey Marshall to see if he would be interested in reprising his role as Ryo Hazuki for this game. This could be a big thing for our community.

How did you get Correy Marshalls E-mail?
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Next

Return to Shenmue