Question about the story ( this disturbs me)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Question about the story ( this disturbs me)

Postby Aki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

hi
I have already posted this question on another Shenmue forum , but they havn't give me an acceptable answer yet. so i post it here too.

so please someone explain me this:
in the game , i am after the part when Ryo rides Nozomi home. when Ryo wakes up the following morning and i read his notebook , i find this new entry :

" Nozomi is fine.

Had to promise
Terry I'd beat up
Chen Gui Zhang

Tom at 10pm go
to Warehouse #9"

i understand that Nozomi is fine and i understand the promise too but what is this "Tom at 10pm go
to Warehouse #9" doing here?
noone said a thing about warhouse 9 or 10pm.
so why is it in my notebook?
until this point this game was so logic and understandable , this is why this thing disturbs me so much.
and there is another one , after my boss fires me , i find this in my notebook: "
I should
check with
everybody..."
i dont get this one too . why did Ryo write this?
He has other things that he may do (meet the mad angels , find the son of master chen , or even find a new job . i dont see the logic in this step)
please somebody give me a spoilerfree explanation because i haven't played the game to the end yet , i am at this part that i am talking about.
Aki
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ToL » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 am

The warehouse is where Guizhang is located... But you don't actually go there, the game picks up automatically (that day is mostly a series of events) and you fight Guizhang towards the middle of the harbour at around 10pm when Guizhang is on his way home. It's just in the notebook because its an event.

Just keep playing the game and it will become clear.

Heads up - don't ask questions before you finish a game, because there will be spoilers.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby HappyKillmore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:12 am

You may never get to see Ryo being told the time, but i guess the time is insignificant, and only appears in the notebook to let the player know when the next event is going to take place
Last edited by HappyKillmore on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Re: Question about the story ( this disturbs me)

Postby Resident Joel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 am

Aki wrote:Nozomi is fine.

Had to promise
Terry I'd beat up
Chen Gui Zhang

Tom at 10pm go
to Warehouse #9"

As previously mentioned, you learn that you have to beat up Terry but you are not told a time or place. Ryo obviously decides himself where and when he'll do it as he has not been specifically instructed and it is added to your notebook so you know when the next event will be.

Aki wrote:I should
check with
everybody...

This note is a little less obvious. It is basically indicating that this is the last point in the game where you can go and freely talk to people. After that point, you follow a specific series of events until the end of the game. Also, there is another note that precedes the one above and it reads:

*Clue
Friends close to
you are leaving.

You get this from Lapis the fortuneteller if you visit her after being fired. It reiterates the point that your friends are leaving so you should see them before you can't do so anymore.

I wouldn't worry about them too much though! ;)
Resident Joel
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Aki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:13 pm

thank you for replying.

the problem is that , the game suggests that it is Ryo who writes the notes in the notebook. so how would he write warehouse 9 , 10pm? he can't know that an event will happen there in that time.

it is strange for me...
Aki

Postby HappyKillmore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Aki wrote:thank you for replying.

the problem is that , the game suggests that it is Ryo who writes the notes in the notebook. so how would he write warehouse 9 , 10pm? he can't know that an event will happen there in that time.

it is strange for me...

He probably knows what time Gui Zhang finishes work and Terry already told him he walks through the harbour on his way home. What's weird about it :? ?
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Aki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:28 pm

don't tell me that it is not weird!

how would Ryo know whe he finishes work? we don't even know if he works or has a job or something. Gui Zhang never told us about his work or about the time he finishes.

and the only thing Terry told us about Gui Zhang is that we should kill him / beat him. Terry told us nothing else. He didn't tell us where he walks or something.

so please do not tell me it isn't weird.

i finished the game although. 5 minutes ago.
and this is the only thing in the whole game that isn't clear for me.
Aki

Postby ToL » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Let it go man. Now you are just nitpicking. The game doesn't need to explain the smallest of details that, in this case, doesn't really matter.

Use some imagination if you have to.

Like already stated, maybe Ryo knows what time Guizhang finishes work and planned on heading to the warehouse at that time but instead, on his way, found one of the Mad Angels telling him Guizhang was on his way home from work so he just waited there for a few moments until his arrival.

Ryo finding out about Warehouse 9 at 10pm could have been in a scene that was omitted from the final build, who knows. Ryo is obviously more aware of what's happening in some cases than we are.

Thing about this is, you found Guizhang via another way, and this echoes real life at times. Not everything goes as you plan it. Ryo made a time and place to go and find Guizhang (for the reasons, put a bit of imagination into it) but in the end, he found him before that.

But whatever.

You found Guizhang, you beat him up, and he beat you up, then you beat the whole fucking Mad Angels posse up.

Deed done. Let it be.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dbzruler88 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Aki wrote:don't tell me that it is not weird!

how would Ryo know whe he finishes work? we don't even know if he works or has a job or something. Gui Zhang never told us about his work or about the time he finishes.

and the only thing Terry told us about Gui Zhang is that we should kill him / beat him. Terry told us nothing else. He didn't tell us where he walks or something.

so please do not tell me it isn't weird.

i finished the game although. 5 minutes ago.
and this is the only thing in the whole game that isn't clear for me.

oh boy, ryo doesn't shit, maybe that is why he walks like he has a rocket shoved up his ass....

just because you don't see him shit, doesn't mean he doesn't. just because you don't hear that gui zhang gets off around that time, doesn't mean ryo doesn't know it...you dont need to think so hard on the little things.
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby HappyKillmore » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Aki wrote:don't tell me that it is not weird!

It isn't weird....

You're looking into it too much dude, its just a notification to the play when the event will happen, NOTHING else. If it messes up your game and perception of the game so much that there's no further explanation then that's your problem, it doesn't affect anyone else. You're the sort of guy who watches a superhero film and picks out why the plot in unrealistic and unfeasible in real life.

Oh and btw, i forgot to welcome you ;)
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Aki » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am

ok , so Ryo knows more than we...
but it is still weird cos this is the only time in the whole game when Ryo writes something down in his notebook and we don't understand why....

but this game is still awsome. i love it! and the Dreamcast is awsome too. it has so many great and unique games.

"and thus, the saga begins..."
Aki

Postby Spokane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Good to hear it did'nt ruin the game for you.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Return to Shenmue