Chai

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Chai

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 am

I just caught myself thinking about Shenmue and one of the things that usually hangs me up a bit when I replay the game, and that's the character of Chai. I figured I'd make a post now before I forget to discuss it.

I always thought that his character was a little over-the-top and in fact, one of the most infeasible elements of Shenmue despite its "realistic-ness". Even the Flying Sword/Shenhua bit at the end of Shenmue 2 felt like more realistic in the sense that it fit in to the story more (to me, anyway).

It doesn't seem like Chai ever had direct contact with Lan Di, because he would naturally inform Lan Di of Ryo's actions...but I assume that Lan Di was surprised to see Ryo at the top of the Yellowhead. I suppose it's equally plausible that Lan Di had at least heard Ryo was pursuing him. But that still leaves the question, what was chai's relationship with Lan Di, if there was any? Chai definitely was more associated with the Mad Angels, at least based on what we saw in the game, but it also was implied Chai was a link between the Chi You Men and the Mad Angels.

So, was Chai just a plot device to make the first chapter more interesting (he easily could have been cut if you think about it) or is there more of a story behind it? Why was he so obsessed with pleasing Lan Di? He first appeared in Sakuragaoka so he was either following Ryo or Gui Zhang from the start.

I don't think that we will hear about Chai in Shenmue 3 honestly but I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the lack of explanation to his character. They even brought him back for "chapter 2" on the boat. Just wondering if ya'll thought there was more to him than that creepy antagonist from Shenmue I.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chai

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 am

I disagree in that we will see him again. He got kicked off the boat in chapter 2, i mean he got kicked off the harbour and didnt die, so its definitely possible that he will reappear again. But i do agree with the whole character. I hate that he is described as a "creature" in various texts, and his background is unknown. I also hated the look, fighting style and even the guys who voiced him in both the English and NSTC dubs. Guess its s good thing though, because the character isnt meant to be admired.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sailors? » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 pm

He's just a mad angel member with small ties to the Chi You Men, he worked for Lan Di to be able to get a higher rank and more respect from them. I doubt Lan Di ever cared for him and never intended to get him into the actually Chi You Men headquarters. He was just a tool for Lan Di to use. His fighting style is wild and careless and although seemingly difficult to beat the first few times playing Shenmue it's suprisingly easy now.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

More interesting than recurring street punks I always thought..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Good to see you posting more Lan Di-sama btw. :)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Res » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Yeah, Chai doesn't really do it for me either. I'm not a fan of the character and I believe the only reason he is a part of the game is because the main antagonist is Lan Di but Lan Di does not fight Ryo at any point so Yu Suzuki needed someone to have a one-on-one final battle with Ryo, hyping it up with the arcade fight. So, basically imo Chai is just a rent-an-antagonist for Shenmue I. However, I still feel the game is actually better without him.

Therefore, perhaps chapter 2 was Suzuki's way of actually making sure that Chai is done with. Maybe he didn't want people to think that Chai would come back, otherwise why bother with chapter 2 at all. He needed to get rid of the character so that the focus changes from Chai to Lan Di. Otherwise, if Chai does reappaer than Suzuki risks Chai becoming the main antagonist of the series and that really would be a let-down.Well, just my thought on it anyway.
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sailors? » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

It doesn't really bother me the fact that he's in the game. He's satisfying enough to beat but I don't think he'll be back. There's far too many other villians to fight (Niao Sun, maybe ziming, other chi youmen members and crooks along the way.)
I'd much prefer it if someone like Master Baihu made a re-appearance.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm

I think he was just thrown in the game to break up the slow pace every now and then. Shenmue II didn't need that since it was more action. Doubt he will be back. They probably have quite a few gollum like guys spread around doing the grunge work. Chai has to be dead. Maybe we will get his brother iahc who has a evil mustache and has a blue top and purple pants. :O
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sailors? » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 pm

I really hope we do.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Dallow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am

Let's face it, if Shenmue III is released and Chai makes a sudden appearance near the end; creepy music blaring, hand clasped around Nozomi's throat like "Hahaha, you can't get rid of me! Hahaha, I should've finished you back in Japan!", pretty much everyone across the board will have a nerdgasm.

That's not to say that we won't sigh: "Oh, for fucks sake, not you again!" :lol:
Dallow
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: CapnCnut
Currently playing: Mass Effect 2

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 am

Aka - CHAI
Significance - UNKNOWN
Location - UNKNOWN

This guy/thing/creature is almost as mysterious as Sha Hua. He lurks in the shadows watching Ryo... watching, and waiting. He may be working for Lan Di, or his objective could be to retrieve the mirror for himself. Nobody knows how he became like this. Just remember that he is always watching you... always!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby tatsuya » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 pm

BTW the music behind him is the same of Bahiu on s2
tatsuya
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:04 pm

I quite liked (to hate) the little bastard, for the reason Ryudo said, he was definitely something "different". After getting smashed by him at the Arcade when I first played it, he brought a sense of fear to the time you meet him at the harbour.
I don't think he is dead either, since that'd surely be a massive deal in Ryo's universe, killing someone, when the story is a lot about him as a person?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby mylesthedad » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm

I always thought Chai was a great character myself. When I first played Shenmue, he creeped me out, but in a good way. Kept me involved in the story for sure. He reminds me of, like Blue said, gollum type character... or a hunchback of Notre Dame type. Imagine if Chai came back in the third one as a helper for Ryo....
mylesthedad
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Real Life

Postby VGAce » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 pm

He was Lan Di's love child, trying to get back into daddy's good graces.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue