What will be the overall reception when it goes PSN/XBLA???

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What will be the overall reception when it goes PSN/XBLA???

Postby darksniper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Whenever Shenmue gets it's eventual HD Remake and ported to PSN/XBLA, what do you think the overall response and reaction will be to those who purchase the game?

Of course the majority of purchases will be from fans of the game who want to re-live the Shenmue experience. But this myth and mystique surrounding Shenmue has definitely garnered interest to a point where Sega themselves will be shocked when they look at the sales numbers.

Let's not forget that as of right now, Shenmue can only be played on one console, so the new audience for this game cannot be underestimated. I think you're going to find a vocal audience(your average COD gamers) who won't understand the game and call it "boring". But then I think you'll find the majority who will see the game for what it is and find it easy to play and to progress in it's entrenching story due to times finally catching up with Shenmue's innovations.

If it's reasonably priced, there's no reason that Sega won't pick up steam and interest for Shenmue III, perhaps even Shenmue II if the decide to release the games one at a time. It's an extremely low risk and high reward for Sega. To be honest, Shenmue could even become bigger than it was before.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: What will be the overall reception when it goes PSN/XBLA

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Depends on many factors. If it's a true HD release with revised textures and models I am sure even many old fans having the original dreamcast release would consider re-buying it. Of course it also depends on the price, on advertisement, time of year, luck and other factors. If they however make a dull 1:1 conversion like they did on Xbox i feel it will not be too appealing. Shenmue really looked awesome like 12 years ago and on Dreamcast, but the same graphics today on PS3/X360 will lose much of their initial appeal.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Aint gunna play on a DLC give this average gamer homeboy a blu ray cuz dats how we do it in the basement hood! Word to ya motha.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Would you play it if someone bought it for you?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm

The world will implode.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah I think the reaction could be fairly good. It should hopefully increase Shenmue's cult following nicely, to be honest I think there are a lot of younger people who would enjoy the Japan centric nature of Shenmue who were probably just a bit too young for it when it intially came it, also Shenmues near mythical status will I'm sure entice many who couldn't be bothered the first time around to see what all the fuss is about. But as MK said all the factors really need to come together, the stars need to be alligned and Sega needs to handle this right or else this could once again be forgotten and left by the wayside.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Eventual release? Is there any basis on this or is it just wishful thinking? Not trying to bash or anything, I'm just wondering if I missed some news/interview/et cetera.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 am

Schmeman wrote:Eventual release? Is there any basis on this or is it just wishful thinking? Not trying to bash or anything, I'm just wondering if I missed some news/interview/et cetera.

It's a little beyond wishful thinking. If you haven't heard, Yu Suzuki has arrived back on the horizon and publicly stated that he thinks Sega will let him make the game(III). Sega wants to make money and fans want Shenmue. Eventually it will reappear at some point. Probably sooner than later.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fenix » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:12 am

Master Kyodai wrote:Depends on many factors. If it's a true HD release with revised textures and models I am sure even many old fans having the original dreamcast release would consider re-buying it. Of course it also depends on the price, on advertisement, time of year, luck and other factors. If they however make a dull 1:1 conversion like they did on Xbox i feel it will not be too appealing. Shenmue really looked awesome like 12 years ago and on Dreamcast, but the same graphics today on PS3/X360 will lose much of their initial appeal.

I will buy a 360 or PS3 if Shenmue comes revised for them.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:25 am

1) People who like Shenmue.

'OMG I'm getting this day one and will buy 20 million copies to get Shenmue III'

2) People who don't like Shenmue.

'Lol that game is boring no thanks'

3) People who never played it but have heard about it.

'Guess I'll check it out'

4) 98% of people who play games.

'I only checked the store for the new COD map packs'
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sylentknyte » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 pm

I would buy it just to support Shenmue and probably wouldnt even play it.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sailors? » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I agree with Riku, if Shenmue 3 ever gets made it's likely going to bomb again. As long as it's the final in the series and I get to play it though I don't really give a crap.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:57 pm

^Pretty much. I've said a million times the only games that sell great are ones that have a good advert on TV.

1) Show cutscenes and have a popular song play over it.

2) Make it for Wii and just show Ant and Dec playing it.

Shenmue will bomb it's not a game even most gamer's care for. Always been 50/50 with people.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Dallow » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Eventual HD remake? What on earth gives people the idea that SEGA will remotely bother rehashing Shenmue? I know that some folks report Dreamcast games coming to XBLA and PSN but there's not a shred of evidence that Shenmue is being lined up for re-release. Not to my knowledge anyway. Anyone got a link?

As for Shenmue III, there's too much weight on its shoulders now. It has to seriously be the best game ever made because if there's so much as one par review on pre-release, the game will hit the shits quicker than Rik Waller after five vindaloos.

I know Shenmue has a loyal fanbase but interest has to quadriple for it to even be considered for development. Selling the game to the public could be done with some cool promotion ("the immortal epic returns... ten years in the making... the second sequel to the most expensive game in the world..." etc) but I'm gonna have to agree wit' my fellow Millwall boy on this one. As much as I hate to admit it because the series deserves sooo much better.
Dallow
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: CapnCnut
Currently playing: Mass Effect 2

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

Sailors? wrote:I agree with Riku, if Shenmue 3 ever gets made it's likely going to bomb again. As long as it's the final in the series and I get to play it though I don't really give a crap.

That's precisely why they refused to make it for years now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Next

Return to Shenmue