Corey Marshall (Ryo Hazuki)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Corey Marshall (Ryo Hazuki!)

Postby Ziming » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm

I'll keep this brief and straight to the point. I'll be moderating this topic and will delete any questions asked in a disrespectful manner. Don't bother complaining about it here cause I'll hear none of it. Just no regard at all to the time and effort Peter put into setting this up.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Oppy had a fair question as to why the VA sounded stiff. Did Sega alter Coreys voice some? Did he record lines and sega edited them badly? Just curious.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby silversons100thaccount » Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 am

How does the post-release feedback of Shenmue and Shenmue II compare to your other work?
silversons100thaccount
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 05, 2011 9:03 am

Ryudo wrote:Oppy had a fair question as to why the VA sounded stiff. Did Sega alter Coreys voice some? Did he record lines and sega edited them badly? Just curious.

Bad direction. Look at that anonymous actor's article on the voice direction and Lisle's response to the direction. Corey has been asked about it before in the past; his voice was altered.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby SaM_4000 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am

Just a few questions, all I can think of at the moment... #-o

-How did you get contacted for the role of Ryo, had you done much voice acting prior to Shenmue?

-Assuming you've played Shenmue series what do you most like and dislike about the games?

-If Sega decide to release Shenmue III, would you expect to reprise your role as Ryo?
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:34 pm

SaM_4000 wrote:Just a few questions, all I can think of at the moment... #-o

-How did you get contacted for the role of Ryo, had you done much voice acting prior to Shenmue?

Jeremy Blaustein (one of the game's many localisation staff) picked him up in New York(?) along with a couple of other actors and actresses.
Source:
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/2010/retrogamer.html
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby coreymarshall » Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 am

silversons100thaccount wrote:Wow, cool.

What is your opinion on how Ryo's voice turned out? Are there anythings that you would have changed or done differently had you been allowed?

Sometimes, I was told to deliver lines in a way that I thought was a little strange, but those lines ended up being some of the most iconic and repeated lines in the game. The character of Ryo, as we all know, is a young Japanese man who studies martial arts and therefore has a certain stoic, even monotone voice, and that is the way they envisioned his character.

It doesn't always make sense to an American audience but adds that Japanese flavor to the character, even though he is speaking English.

So, I think the director knew exactly what he was doing and it turned out great in the end.

-Corey

coreymarshall has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, nskachu
coreymarshall
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby coreymarshall » Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am

KiBa wrote:Thank you for arranging this, Peter.

I don't have any questions at the moment, Mr. Marshall, but I just want to thank you for being such a huge part of what makes the English version of the series so special.

Thank you for the kind words. It's an honor to be part of a game that not only do I find enjoyable myself, but the game may have in some small way changed game history and how we play games today.

Of course, you guys being the fans, are the most important part of any piece of entertainment that gets brought out because we do it for you.
coreymarshall
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby coreymarshall » Fri May 06, 2011 12:44 am

Kenny wrote:Cause we scared him away?

LOL!!!

I will try my best to respond to everyone. It may take a little longer than I'd like to get back to everyone because of work and family life.
coreymarshall
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spokane » Fri May 06, 2011 1:01 am

Did you know what happens in the story before you started recording? Or did they not tell you until it was time to record a certain line? Or did you have to play it yourself to find out? That applies to both games I suppose.

And welcome to the dojo, really great to see you here!
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 06, 2011 6:06 am

coreymarshall wrote:Sometimes, I was told to deliver lines in a way that I thought was a little strange, but those lines ended up being some of the most iconic and repeated lines in the game. The character of Ryo, as we all know, is a young Japanese man who studies martial arts and therefore has a certain stoic, even monotone voice, and that is the way they envisioned his character.

It doesn't always make sense to an American audience but adds that Japanese flavor to the character, even though he is speaking English.

So, I think the director knew exactly what he was doing and it turned out great in the end.

Ah, I see.. Was the English version even released in Japan?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 am

I belive the movie version was released with english voice overs in japan?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby SaM_4000 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 am

There was an english version of Shenmue released in Japan called US Shenmue:

SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

Corey its great to have you on.

How was working with some of the other cast members? Were any of you ever around to see each other or was it strictly one VA at a time?

And one thing id just like to make a statement on. If Shenmue 3 does ever go into development, id love to see you be the VA again for Ryo.
Thanks for coming on the Dojo Mr. Marshall.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Res » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks for dropping in, Corey. You say you are a fan of the series, had you played Shenmue prior to recording Shenmue II and if so did it change your experience in recording Shenmue II? In other words, what did you do differently? Also, did the fan in you demand to know what happens prior to recording part II?
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue